Help finding plane owned by someone

Skyrys62

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Meet the Fokkers
Hi all,

I'm trying to locate a plane that was previously owned by a friend.
I have searched the online databases but nothing shows up under the name at all. It was likely registered to his business, but that does include his last name. Not sure how the databases work exactly in regards to their search engines.
Also, I can find the information on this person that shows their first PPL certificate, last medical, etc., but finding the plane escapes me still.

I do not know the tail number...which is part of what I'm looking for.

any ideas?

Do they remember the color? Can't be many planes that are painted the same color..I'd start there.

I hear you can also use a microphone and google search to demonstrate how the engine sounded. That works too. It's called "Prop Sound Search, by model/year/engine RPM/roughness".

Or, if you want to PM me the information I'll help as well.

He's about 80-something years old and doesn't remember much about it. Doesn't have any log books that are known to me.
The plane was sold by him to a local airport. I have inquired, but the FBO doesn't have any info they can find. (they are not the airport though). The FBO owners were good friends with him and trained him.
Nobody can find anything about the plane though lol. Weird.

Last edited:
Anyone here that can imitate prop sounds that we can send to Caramon? ;):D

Your friend owned an airplane. If he is like all other owners, he will have pictures of it. Those pictures will most likely show the N#. Also as already mentioned, his pilot logbook should have numerous entries with the N#. You can provide us with the make & model (serial number would be great as well) and your friend's name. I'm sure someone will be able to find it.

He's about 80-something years old and doesn't remember much about it. Doesn't have any log books that are known to me.
The plane was sold by him to a local airport. I have inquired, but the FBO doesn't have any info they can find. (they are not the airport though). The FBO owners were good friends with him and trained him.
Nobody can find anything about the plane though lol. Weird.

How about who the FBO had it insured with if the guy doesn't recall his?

The business name was Bickett Equipment in Morganfield KY.
Plane was a 1979 C172, but that is all he remembers...other than the 6 flights to the Bahamas and dozens of other flights.
There was a runway incursion where he ran off the end of the runway.
That is all I have to work with other than his name, etc.

Sold it to the Henderson City County Airport KEHR

Look for NTSB reports at the airport where the accident happened
Good idea, and honestly, that crossed my mind. I'll have to get back in touch with him and see which airport he said, but part of the problem seems to be, it's been so many years ago they don't keep those records around. Probably late 80's when he sold it.

I've asked the FBO owners, one of the airport guys, and a mechanic that also flew with him. They all remember him well and still speak highly of him. Just nothing they can find handily. I guess since the computers came along, if you ain't in the system.....

I wonder how successful you might be calling the FAA records folks in OKC and let them know what tidbits you do have. The buyer and seller info might be what they need to do a quick review?

So, why are you looking for it?

To cast thine eyes upon it :)

Also,
It is m'lady's grandfather. A great guy.
I'm getting my certificate at the same FBO as he did. He sold it to them or the airport, but according to my CFI the airport has never officially owned a plane. So, that would mean the FBO bought it. I potentially could be flying it without knowing...if he is mistaken about the year. He says '79 I'm flying a '77 and a '79 but the '79 is owned by an individual and is on leaseback. Unlikely, but still feasible that this individual bought it from the FBO.
I think it would be great to take my gf for her first ride with me in her grandfathers plane.
She flew in it as a very young kid (doesn't remember anything about the plane) and is very fond of her grandfather.
Plus, I do contemplate ownership and would love to see if that plane was available.

Last edited:
I wonder how successful you might be calling the FAA records folks in OKC and let them know what tidbits you do have. The buyer and seller info might be what they need to do a quick review?
That's a good idea too.

For the record,

JOSEPH ROYCE BICKETT
Address is not available

Medical Class: Third Medical Date: 12/1986
Certificate: PRIVATE PILOT
Date of Issue: 7/31/1967

Ratings:
PRIVATE PILOT
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND

You have entered......... the twilight zone..... Nee nee noo nee......

th

With as little information as you have, I'd probably start with the NTSB report on the accident.

Another thing you could try is searching by serial number. But I doubt you have that if the previous owner doesn't even remember the registration number. You could also try searching by make and model in each state and see what you come up with.

With as little information as you have, I'd probably start with the NTSB report on the accident.

Another thing you could try is searching by serial number. But I doubt you have that if the previous owner doesn't even remember the registration number. You could also try searching by make and model in each state and see what you come up with.

Yeah, I did try the whole state/make/model thing. Nothing relevant shows up. (for me)
I'm not sure if there is a NTSB report. Doesn't it have to be certain criteria to become report-able?
He ran off the end of the runway due to them having some work done or something, and he either didn't take the time to find out, or they didn't mark/post it properly.
Both parties may have wanted to keep it quiet....not sure.
I believe it bent the prop was the major issue. His two sons showed up with a trailer, they took the wings off, and carted it away.
Not sure if the FBO repaired it or what, but I've been asking. No dice yet.

Does he know anyone else who might have flown it? You could query their logbooks.

What was the name of the company?

Any idea the type of aircraft, or even just the make?

That's an idea for sure....I'll ask around. He's in a rest home a couple towns over. Hard to get much time with him, and he is damned near blind. Still a ball to be around though.
Ideally I'd love to take him up in his old plane. He'd love that.
His wife is still kickin too. She would also go in a heartbeat. She loved flying.

Back