Help DVD Video Camera

dogman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
dogman
I need to buy a new Dvd Video camera for a convinient way of sending footage of our clients best friiends progress reports. I would also like to learn to send video clips via e-mail of there dogs progress.

We train dogs for poeple from all over the U.S. and occasionally other countrys.

Please advise me on the best DVD camera/software that will work for my application.

Many of you are so advanced compared to me (Hell I can not even spell)and we need your advise.

thank You
Jon

dogman said:
I need to buy a new Dvd Video camera for a convinient way of sending footage of our clients best friiends progress reports. I would also like to learn to send video clips via e-mail of there dogs progress.

We train dogs for poeple from all over the U.S. and occasionally other countrys.

Please advise me on the best DVD camera/software that will work for my application.

Many of you are so advanced compared to me (Hell I can not even spell)and we need your advise.

thank You
Jon

D-V-D? Is that a new type of film for my Super 8?:D Sorry, couldn't resist. I am interested in seeing the responses to this thread since I'm kind of in the market for a digital video camera as well.

dogman said:

thank You
Jon

Jon,

To clarify--do you want to send DVD's to your clients, or email short clips of Digital Video (DV), or both?

There are cameras that burn directly to mini-DVD's, but if you're just wanting to email video clips (rather than mail discs to people), your options open up a bit.

I have a JVC with a built in 30GB hard drive. Records as DVD format, e-mail the DVD file, and your computer DVD player will play it. Of course a 3 minute video is like 90MB or something like that.

N2212R said:
I have a JVC with a built in 30GB hard drive. Records as DVD format, e-mail the DVD file, and your computer DVD player will play it. Of course a 3 minute video is like 90MB or something like that.

Most email boxes won't take a file that large, and most folks don't have the web space or bandwidth to upload files that large.

For such situations, up to 100MB, you can send a file for free (no signup required) using www.yousendit.com

I'd not use it to send any highly confidential information, as your file sits on their server until the recipient picks it up, but I've used it multiple times for large picture sets and videos with no issues.

Troy Whistman said:
Jon,

To clarify--do you want to send DVD's to your clients, or email short clips of Digital Video (DV), or both?

There are cameras that burn directly to mini-DVD's, but if you're just wanting to email video clips (rather than mail discs to people), your options open up a bit.

I all rewady have a Sony VX 2000 (DV)that we use to film for our instructional videos we sale (we film, edit , produce , and market our selves).

We had seen th DVD format thinking that we could either send our clients a DVD or E-mail.

Seems much easier than haviing to conect the camera to the Fire Wire conection and then Start up the editing Software and gathering the clips we want and then down load them back on a DVD disk.

Thank you Jon

N2212R said:

Could we put the Video Clips on our Web site for them to View?? Is there any better ways of getting the clips to my clients??

May be we should have a few options available for the clients to choose.

Thanks

Jon

dogman said:
I all rewady have a Sony VX 2000 (DV)that we use to film for our instructional videos we sale (we film, edit , produce , and market our selves).

We had seen th DVD format thinking that we could either send our clients a DVD or E-mail.

Seems much easier than haviing to conect the camera to the Fire Wire conection and then Start up the editing Software and gathering the clips we want and then down load them back on a DVD disk.

Thank you Jon

Would it really be though? How does one avoid having to download the video into the software for editing, or are you just talking about shooting and sending off unedited DVDs? I see the difference of plugging in a DVD for editing and connecting the firewire to be a difference that wouldn't outweigh the other factors unless you are sendiing off unedited stuff.

dogman said:
Could we put the Video Clips on our Web site for them to View??

Yes, you could. Whether you e-mail them or put them on the web site, bandwidth is expensive. If it's one shot, not too bad. If all 500 employees of your client are going to get it separately, you might want to send them a dvd to pass around.

DVD camcorders, as Henning mentioned, won't help you a bit unless you're planning on sending unedited stuff to your clients.

Sending unedited video is fine .

Imagine you live in NJ I live in MO you want your dog trained. You send us your dog for 3 to 4 months. You do not have time to come visit your dog. But if I was to take a few minutes and film a progress report so you can see what your dog is doing and learning. That is what I am looking for.
Video onto a DVD put the DVD in the mail and send it to you as the client unedited which means NO BULL****E! This video is not a Sales pitch it is a progress report.

I do not have time to edit a video to send to a client as a progress report so if the band width is to expensive and e-mail is not an option than US postal service is the answer I need a video camera that I can take the DVD out of the camera and mail directly to the client.

Any onr know anything about thes cameras?

Thanks for the help I am learning the computer is not needed for this application.

Jon

dogman said:
Sending unedited video is fine .

Imagine you live in NJ I live in MO you want your dog trained. You send us your dog for 3 to 4 months. You do not have time to come visit your dog. But if I was to take a few minutes and film a progress report so you can see what your dog is doing and learning. That is what I am looking for.
Video onto a DVD put the DVD in the mail and send it to you as the client unedited which means NO BULL****E! This video is not a Sales pitch it is a progress report.

I do not have time to edit a video to send to a client as a progress report so if the band width is to expensive and e-mail is not an option than US postal service is the answer I need a video camera that I can take the DVD out of the camera and mail directly to the client.

Any onr know anything about thes cameras?

Thanks for the help I am learning the computer is not needed for this application.

Jon

Well, in that case, I'd probably be looking hardest at the Sony line.

dogman said:
Sending unedited video is fine
In regard to expensive bandwidth, what you described above leads me to believe that you would have few hits on the video clips, pretty much just by the dog's owners. I would lean towards posting the unedited clips on a website and send the owners an email with a link to the clip.

I know it doesn't answer your question regarding the cameras, but that's my unsolicited 2¢

gkainz said:
In regard to expensive bandwidth, what you described above leads me to believe that you would have few hits on the video clips, pretty much just by the dog's owners. I would lean towards posting the unedited clips on a website and send the owners an email with a link to the clip.

I know it doesn't answer your question regarding the cameras, but that's my unsolicited 2¢

Thank you! I will try this and see how it works.

Jon

Henning said:
Well, in that case, I'd probably be looking hardest at the Sony line.

Yes Sony seems to be really good stuff. When I get one I will let you know what I find.

Jon

Hmmmm, what about setting up a high end webcam and do a live progress report for them? As long as you have a high speed connection on both ends you don't have to worry about files size.

N2212R said:
Hmmmm, what about setting up a high end webcam and do a live progress report for them? As long as you have a high speed connection on both ends you don't have to worry about files size.

Sounds like a scheduling hassel.

Back