Helo oops

Isn't that the one of the guy who had an ASEL, and was on his first lesson in the helo, was told by the instructor not to touch ANYTHING, and then decided to take off on his own?

Isn't that the one of the guy who had an ASEL, and was on his first lesson in the helo, was told by the instructor not to touch ANYTHING, and then decided to take off on his own?

Nope, that's a different one. This was a sightseeing flight.

Makes me sad every time I watch it...

Nupe, this one is of a family going on a heli ride, and stupid Chief Pilot Charlie didn't make sure he had clearance from the hangar. Charlie claims the kid beside him nudged the cyclic and he couldn't fix the drift before they hit the hangar.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20040825X01288&key=1

There's the NTSB report.

Nupe, this one is of a family going on a heli ride, and stupid Chief Pilot Charlie didn't make sure he had clearance from the hangar. Charlie claims the kid beside him nudged the cyclic and he couldn't fix the drift before they hit the hangar.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20040825X01288&key=1

There's the NTSB report.

I think the only thing I don't like very much about Robinsons is that moronic t-bar cyclic. It's fine in flight but is subject to getting bumbed. I was getting some recurrant training in our R44 a couple of months ago. The high hours CFI was playing with the GNS 430 while I was in a hover at a runway intersection about to make a pedal turn to align on the runway. He gave the top of the t-bar a pretty good nudge and I immediately told him to get off the cyclic. I didn't have an real control issue though -- I just tightened up on the stick and we didn't drift much...

Let that be a lesson though, William, know where the main rotor is and especially know where the tail rotor is ...

Back