Helo fatal; unsecured toolbag

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Cdn crashsite has damaged bag, tail rotor tip 1/4mi from main wreckage. Lack of seatbelt use also evident.

I remember a helo wreck that was caused by a leather jacket in the tail rotor around here a decade ago.

Three Hydro One workers ejected. Hard to believe any company today has to do even more safety training to get that message across. Nobody gets in a friggin car these days without belting themselves and their kids...

very true. In fact don't most generations past 1970 feel naked without at least a lap belt?

That "report" gives me the willys!

Once upon a time, about 90 miles off the coast of western Australia, I had a helo go down with a tail rotor failure. Everyone got out OK. But, the helo rolled and sank almost immediately. I had just switched out with a fresh crew after a refuel and head check. So, I wasn't in the crash.

On the previous maintenance interval, I had replaced the HF long-wire antenna. And, as luck would have it, witnesses (not part of our crew) who saw the crash, and saw that the long-wire antenna was broken before the helo sank just assumed the broken long-wire had somehow damaged the tail-rotor, causing the crash. I knew that was BS. But, there it was, and scuttlebutt was rampant.

The pilot at the controls swore the tail-rotor instantaneously failed as if there was a sudden disconnect between the rudder pedals and the tail-rotor. And, non of the crew really believed the antenna in any way even remotely caused the crash. The accident investigators pretty quickly identified a batch of faulty tail-rotor pitch change links. It seems the contractor that supplied them had used the wrong rivets, causing the failure.

Back