Helo de-icing

I rather like the breakdown of the fuel used and how futile all this eco-crap really is. kind of follows alomg the carbon credits Al Gore buys.
Immence wealth changing hands and people getting rich over this whole debate and not a damned thing changing except said money.
PERFECT.

I rather like the breakdown of the fuel used and how futile all this eco-crap really is. kind of follows alomg the carbon credits Al Gore buys.
Immence wealth changing hands and people getting rich over this whole debate and not a damned thing changing except said money.
PERFECT.
You mean this 'breakdown'?

"The aviation fuel, the diesel for the truck, and the oil burned to heat the water, could produce more electricity (at the right time to meet demand) than the unfrozen wind turbine could ever produce. (Before it freezes up again)."

Qualitative bull.

Assuming 500 gals of aviation fuel, truck diesel and heating oil required to deice a cluster of (10) 1 MW wind turbines. It would take 8 hours of operation at 25% capacity to produce 20MWhr of energy that roughly equivalent to the 500 gals of fuel.

My calcs are very rough and subject to error - please check. But calling something crap without at least trying to apply some numbers to it is just weak minded.

You mean this 'breakdown'?

"The aviation fuel, the diesel for the truck, and the oil burned to heat the water, could produce more electricity (at the right time to meet demand) than the unfrozen wind turbine could ever produce. (Before it freezes up again)."

Qualitative bull.

Assuming 500 gals of aviation fuel, truck diesel and heating oil required to deice a cluster of (10) 1 MW wind turbines. It would take 8 hours of operation at 25% capacity to produce 20MWhr of energy that roughly equivalent to the 500 gals of fuel.

My calcs are very rough and subject to error - please check. But calling something crap without at least trying to apply some numbers to it is just weak minded.

I was thinking the same thing. These things can generate a few MW's of power which is quite a bit. I'm not saying I think wind turbines are the best thing since sliced bread, just that this particular argument lacks basis.

It's still pretty cool though!

Maybe true if deicing the whole farm. The statement says one such windmill.
More to MY point, follow the money. Someone is making a load of money one this eco stuff. The implication is the eco stuff is being used to tranfer moneies and power to the government.
Like lots of thing, the eco stuff should be taken with a grain of salt. Like the weather, the environment science is more magic, guesswork, and (follow the money) wishful thinking. It is huberous to believe we humans who have been on the planet less than .1% of its existence could have such an effect on it.
So yeah. I think it is junk science. The earth has a cycle. we're in one thay is lending itself to a hotter world. 11 years from now, it will be colder. Maybe another 11 after that, colder still.

yep. Why not put a solar panel on top of the turbine, and use the power from that to heat the blades?

Because with so much airflow over the blades and newtons law of cooling which refers to convective heat transfer, the energy required to keep the length of the blade warm enough would be massive. Not to mention the increased blade weight and reduced effeciency with heating elements manufactured into the composite material...

And as mentioned before, solar needs good batteries.

Back