Hello

gms5002

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
gms5002
Hey everyone - I've been lurking for a bit, so I figured I'd say hi! I already know some of you from another board, but it looks like things are a bit more active over here.

I'm a pretty new pilot, just got my PPL about 3 months ago and I'm right around 100 hours. Most of my time is in C-172's but I just bought a share of a Cherokee 235 last week :goofy:. Once I finish my 10 hr insurance checkout, I'm going to hop right into my instrument rating, which I hope to finish in about a year.

Welcome. Why don't you start the instrument training now WHILE you do the 10 hour checkout. No reason you can't do instrument training while you're knocking out the 10 hours of dual, right?

Welcome. Why don't you start the instrument training now WHILE you do the 10 hour checkout. No reason you can't do instrument training while you're knocking out the 10 hours of dual, right?

Great suggestion! And welcome to POA tell us where you are based.

Good idea! I'm not sure why that did not occur to me. I'll probably use a bit of the time just to finish getting used to the plane. There are several things which are new to me like the CS prop, having to remember to switch fuel tanks, different V speeds, etc..so I want to get those out of the way first. That should only take a flight or two and then I could use the rest of the time to start the instrument rating.

I was based out of Brandywine (OQN) in West Chester, PA but the new plane is in Morgantown, PA (O03 - [oh zero three], which has to be up there on the list of worst airport codes). I'm kind of excited that Morgantown is a grass field because I wasn't allowed to land the rental planes on grass. This should open up a lot of cool unpaved places I can visit.

Welcome aboard -- any you'll grow to prefer grass strips, over time!

Congrats on the airplane purchase! My transition to a cherokee from a high wing cessna was easy. Plan on spending about 3 hours practicing landings, slow flight, stalls and emergency stuff. Use the rest of the required dual time toward your instrument rating.

Back