Hello!

Straxus

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Straxus
Or, as they say where I come from: Hey y'all! :)

I've known Greebo/Chuck for years now, via various internet contacts. I even had the pleasure of meeting him once, years ago. When I told him I was taking to the air, he pointed me this direction. So, here I am.

I've had an interest in flying for about as long as I was capable of speech and imagination. Circumstances nixed any initial aviation opportunities, and a long, misdirected stab at engineering failed to strike a chord with me. Years ago, I jumped into law enforcement with both feet, and I've never looked back. "Protect and Serve" aren't just words on the side of the car for someone like me; they mean something. Something important. In plain english, I'm a cop. That fact makes some people a little nervous, but I'm really a nice guy. Mostly. :rolleyes:

Recently, I was selected to join a unit dedicated to air support for regional law enforcement. This pretty much means I got thrown into the deep end of the pool as a flight observer, tasked with being the eyes/ears/voice for the guys on the ground, operating mapping systems and various camera/FLIR hardware. Along the way, I'm also learning to fly, and what little controls-time I've had so far has only left me hungry for more. All of my time has been spent in helos, but I'll be quite familiar with fixed-wing by the time I'm done.

I look forward to visiting here from time to time, to learn what I can. Maybe some day, I'll even be able to return the favor.

Straxus,
You will find an unlimited amount of knowledge here with pilots who will share that knowledge with you. As you go through your training you will have questions and this is the place to get answers.
Welcome and enjoy your flying.
Paul

Welcome to PoA and aviation. Good luck in your training. I, too, had a very early love of flying which didn't get satisfied until after I spent 15 years of flying MS/Flight Sim. And once I got started, I've enjoyed [almost] every minute in the air.
BTW: Some of my best friends are or have been cops. I've never met one I didn't like. It's a nasty job at times and cops get my respect. Like most of us, they are just doing the best job they can.

Congrats on your decision. I think being in the environment you are in already will help considerably. good luck with your training.

Michael

Hey Strax - welcome to PoA! ;)

Next thing you will want to do is join AOPA - that's the Aircraft Owners and Pilot's Assocaition, and as a student I believe you will qualify for six free months of their Student Pilot magazine. You will also want to SERIOUSLY consider signing up for their legal services plan.

I'm still so ****ing jealous of you! ;)
CH

There are a number of folks on this board that didn't get into flying until they were older. You can count on them for a lot of knowledge and encouragement.:yes:

Welcome. Maybe its just me, but I like cops. My Grandfather was one. As other have said, there are a lot of great, experienced folks here.

You actually admit you know Chuck? :) Brave guy.

Hello and welcome. There are lots of mighty fine people on this board with lots of valuable information. Good luck to you on your flight training and your career.

Anthony said:
Welcome. Maybe its just me, but I like cops....

It's not just you. I like cops too. My parents raised us to believe a policeman is your friend.

Thanks for the warm welcome! It's always nice to meet another bunch of good people with similar interests.

Sure, I'll fix any tickets you guys get from us. Just give me a description of the plane or helicopter that pulled you over, along with the tail number, and I'll get right on it. :yes:

Back