Hello.

WannaFly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
Been checking things out for a little bit and really like reading all of the different topics. Just thought I would introduce myself. (Hope this is a good spot to do it) I am 35, married with 4 kids. Name is Mike. About 5 months ago I was bit with the bug. I never really had much interest in flying. When I was younger I had a couple of rough flights in bigger jets and started avoiding flight. Last summer I lost my job but picked another up right away with a small company really close to home. (there are 6 fulltime guys including me) The owner is a pilot and owns a Mooney.(See Avitar) He also captains a Lear 31A for another local business owner. Travel is part of the job. My second time flying with him he asked if I wanted to give it a try. So here I am at 9000 feet flying. What a rush. Nervous?... Heck yes! Our last trip to New York he handed me a pad of paper and pen and told me start taking notes. I was changing channels on the radio when prompted by ATC and even giving confirmation back to them. Listened to ATIS when we were close to home and told him what runway to land on. On the ground I taxied to the hanger. (Sorry this is so long. :)) This is something I want to do. I have been reading what I can on it. There is a flight school at the local airport about 2 miles away. I have been there and talked with the CFI. I even got to check out the trainer planes. Now here is the problem. No money. With my job change came a pay cut. So for now, I am trying to learn what I can. I started a blog page to kind of track things but there won’t be much to report for a while. I will just keep telling of trips I take when they happen. Any advice on good locations for information? I signed up for a free 6 months of AOPA. Great magazines and site. Plane and Pilot’s web site is cool too. I will be hanging out for a bit trying to learn what I can. Hopefully the wait won’t be too long and can get started towards my pilots certificate.

Last edited:
Hi'a Mike! Welcome to POA, and to the obsession known as aviation. I think you'll like it here, and hopefully you can learn a bit (and perhaps teach us all something) too. Where are you based?

I think that you are bit by the bug. What with four kids, I don't know if this will work for you or not, but I've known people to get a part time job at an FBO to make money to fly. You are around planes and pilots, and sometimes you can get a discount on the plane rental too. We have a cop who works for us in the evenings during the summers to fund his flying habit. Anyway glad you are with us.

It's not a bug see, bugs are easy to kill and get rid of. This is an addiction much much harder to get rid of and a Doctor can't help you But a Pilot or a plane can. Oh yet the FAA can too " I am with the FAA and I am here to help.

Addiction: is a state in which the body relies on a substance for normal functioning. When this substance is removed, it can cause Withdrawal.

Oh you poor SOB. The flying obsession isn't like those easily-cured diseases. Nope, this one is insidious and can be just as expensive. You're obviously infected since you're subscribing to AOPA publications without actually being a pilot. I can't IMAGINE ANYONE being so FOOLISH to do such a thing. Nope. Certainly not me. I'd never do that. Wait. I did. 36mos later I was a pilot.

I hope you can figure out the $$ (and the free time thing, don't underestimate that). In the meantime, it's a darn friendly community. Hang out at the airport and look at planes - pilots LOVE to talk about their planes.

Best wishes, good luck, and remember,

we're all counting on you. :D

Welcome Mike, As Bob said your addicted, and we are here to help.
If You have a question,I'm sure someone will answer it for you.
DON'T be affraid to ask, there are no dumb question,if you dont know it will probably kill you so ASK.
Anyhow welcome to the world of avaition and Pilots of America.
Dave G.

Mike, welcome to PoA and to the addiction we all share. Have you looked into a Sport Pilot license? It can be a much more cost-effective option if training is available in your area...

Welcome to the asylum.... ;)

It's great you have your boss as a pilot mentor already. Most of us that fly have gotten help from other more experienced flyers along the way and no amount of money could have paid for the help they've given us.

Personally, I took lessons as I could afford them, more or less pay as you go. That way takes a little longer than someone with a wad of cash up front (although there are horror stories associated with that approach, too) but if you're not trying to set a record on time to solo or to the checkride, you'll be surprised how often you can afford to get a lesson in without stressing your budget. Everything costs something, you just have to decide what you want to spend your resources on.

Hi'a Mike! Welcome to POA, and to the obsession known as aviation. I think you'll like it here, and hopefully you can learn a bit (and perhaps teach us all something) too. Where are you based?
The local airport is about 2 miles from my home.
Here is their web site. http://www.flysparta.com/index.html
The flight school is with a company called Paramount Aviation.
I know with 4 kids and other commitments this will take a while. I am not expecting to be able to jump right in. Thanks for the welcome and offers to help with my addiction. :D

Any chance your company owner / Lear pilot also has a current instructor's certificate? If so you could be logging any "stick time" he's willing to hand over. Another off the wall idea would be to see if the "company" would be willing to pay a significant portion of your training costs in return for you being available to assist the owner with flight duties on long trips etc. Chances are the company could write it off (assuming they are making money) and between that and the lack of income tax you'd be a bargain. Can't hurt to ask.

I never thought to ask if he has a current instructor's certificate. I will check it out. We are making money. Businss is good.

Mike, ya got suckered. Life will never be the same. You'll find yourself on the edge and possibly mortgage your life and family in order to fly. :eek: :D

Welcome to the board. Keep us up to date on working toward your "green card."

Ahh...Mike. Welcome. Keep the goal in sight and work toward it. I waited something like 25 years to start my training (once I decided one day I would be a pilot when I was 10 :)). I'm in the middle of it now...and loving every minute of it.

Good luck...hang around. The hangar flying here might help you stave off insanity for a time. I also found some of the awesome podcasts like the Pilot Cast, Uncontrolled Airspace, Finer Points, Pilots Flight Pod Log, Airspeed, etc., help as well. All the magazines you can get your hands on...ya, I know what you're going through. Been there. Sorry.

Hang in there!

Well, cool! Another convert! :D This is a good place to drop in and ask questions. We have LOTS of answers. LOTS and LOTS of answers! More answers than you EVER thought you'd want to hear, as a matter of fact!! :D

oh, yeah ... if yer gonna be a pilot, you've gotta start spelling "hangar" correctly! ;)

:D

Again, welcome - let us know if we can help. :)

oh, yeah ... if yer gonna be a pilot, you've gotta start spelling "hangar" correctly! ;)

Only you would have notice that Tom :goofy:
Dave G:blueplane:

Another big welcome Mike. POA is the best site in aviation. You'll find lots of advice and support here ( as well as some ribbing from time to time) Its good to hang out with others that are infected as well.

WELCOME MIKE!!

The first step is acknowledging the addiction.....help is but a keystroke away! ;)

Any chance your company owner / Lear pilot also has a current instructor's certificate? If so you could be logging any "stick time" he's willing to hand over. Another off the wall idea would be to see if the "company" would be willing to pay a significant portion of your training costs in return for you being available to assist the owner with flight duties on long trips etc. Chances are the company could write it off (assuming they are making money) and between that and the lack of income tax you'd be a bargain. Can't hurt to ask.

I shot him a note today. Never was a flight instructor. Not to sure how I would approach him with the idea of helping with some on the cost. I will sit down tomorrow and get something on paper. I am not sure when he will be back in the office. He is off flying around somewhere. According to flightaware.com his plane is parked at Schaumburg Rgnl.

Since actual flight is going to be few and far between for the time being, what would be a good place for me to start focusing on? I have a borrowed copy of the King Flight School's Private Pilot DVD set. That is pretty cool. I know the next time I fly I will be on the radio some. Are there any good sites to help work on proper radio communications?

Thanks again for the addiction support. :D

Hi Mike,.. I was in your shoes a little over a year ago. I had a flight in a Piper PA-28-180, and it was a blast. Went home, searched online, and started reading. Signed up for Flight Training, and eventually joined the AOPA before I took my first lesson last October. Along the way, I realized the cost, and we are a single income family, while my wife stay's home with our twin daughters (turning 4 soon). I started saving slowly and setting aside what I could, while taking a 1 hr flight every 4 weeks to help ease craving.

After saving for 8 months or so, I started really going for it and I have loved every second of it. You'll find that the forums here have lots to offer and everyone is willing to lend a hand. It's even better when you get the chance to meet people in person, as I recently did at a Fly-In event in my area (Wings FlyBQ).

Feel free to read my blog (link below) and the others here on the forums. You'll find them quite entertaining, as well as informative as you begin your training.

Welcome,... :cheerswine:

Back