Hello to the aerobatic world!!!!

gonvrtd

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
GONVRTD
Maybe it is the winter weather or maybe us aerobatic poilots have spun our last spin, but we haven't had a post in almost a month!!! Where is everyone? Spring will be here before we know it and then its time to hit the skies hard!!! I love reading what everyone has to say about different aerobatic topics and maneuvers and I hope people aren't abandoning this place. Personally I can't wait to get some nicer weather and get up and throw myself around the sky. Any way I thought I would give all the areobats out there a wake up call and say hello. Lets hear about what everyone has planned for this coming up spring and summer.......competitions, fly-ins, airshows, etc....Have fun and be safe! :goofy:

Last edited:
Well, any postings here will simply serve to remind me that I've owned my Pitts for more than two weeks, yet it remains more than 200 miles away and I've never flown solo in it.

:(

Well, yesterday I dusted off the Extra for the first time in quite a while. I'll fly it again today as well. After a layoff of a month or so I really have to start slowly or I'll make myself sick. So right now there's just some hard pulls in the turns and a few basic maneuvers, trying to get back "in shape".

This spring I'll attend another aerobatic camp. This is a one week camp with three critiques / day. I attended one last year and found it tremendously helpful.

I hope to participate in at least five contests this year, mostly in Sportsman. I really like the Sportsman sequence for 2006. I'd like to go to one contest in the Citabria and compete in Primary. We'll see. And, depending on how the camp goes I'll consider doing one Intermediate contest.

That's the big plan for me. Anyone else????

Chip

Now we're talking........as for me I plan on continuing my training to make myself a better pilot and do what I love.........fly aerobatics. I am no where near the stages of competeing yet but hopefully with persistant training and practice I will be there soon enough. Thanks for the couple of responses already and I hope they keep rolling in!!!

Partial hijack, but when Tommy saw contrails in the sky today, he told Celia, "That's what Chip's Extra does."

Did I mention that Tommy wants a ride? ;-)

gonvrtd said:
Lets hear about what everyone has planned for this coming up spring and summer.......competitions, fly-ins, airshows, etc....Have fun and be safe!
Oh, let's see. It's been busy here at the farm. I've started working on the Primary Sequence and made a video clip of a 4 1/2 turn spin and the first two maneuvers of the Primary Sequence.

http://www.tailwindfoundation.org/videos/spins_to_lifehouse.wmv

I've been working on those pesky hammerheads with mixed results. Now I have first hand knowledge of what whip stalls feel like.

Had a great acro training session in CA a few weeks ago with an incredible instructor.

I've been trying to teach myself how to do competition turns the past week and may be getting closer to an acceptable version with the help of my friends from an aerobatic forum.

The Citabria may be in pieces on some hangar floor this year during the competition season, so I may have to wait until 2007 to compete. I hope to attend a judge's school next month in Kansas City.

Bill Jennings said:
Hi Diana, good to see you here.
Thanks Bill. You're sweet. :)

Bill Jennings said:
I've found out that aerobatics won't be in the cards for me. :(
I'm really sorry to hear that. :( Is it because of the glaucoma?

Diana said:
Thanks Bill. You're sweet. :)

I'm really sorry to hear that. :( Is it because of the glaucoma?

Ken and Diana:

A month ago I asked about glaucoma and acro on the red board, and Dr.s Bruce and Matt and others all suggested it would not be a great idea. I had my quarterly appt. with my optho last week, and posed the same quesion to her. She specialized in glaucoma care.

She said that interestingly, there is nothing she studied that discussed pulling G's and glaucoma and no bodies of work she knows of to reference, but her best medical intuition is that it would be harmful to my sight. I asked about occasional exposure, and she replied if it were her eyes, she would avoid pulling G's altogether. Having glaucoma so young, she said I have a long life to live, and maintaining my vision is important.

Now, she could just be CHA, but having heard "not good" from multiple sources is good enough for me. Sight is good.

I will live vicariously thru you all!!!

Bill Jennings said:
She said that interestingly, there is nothing she studied that discussed pulling G's and glaucoma and no bodies of work she knows of to reference, but her best medical intuition is that it would be harmful to my sight. I asked about occasional exposure, and she replied if it were her eyes, she would avoid pulling G's altogether. Having glaucoma so young, she said I have a long life to live, and maintaining my vision is important.
That stinks. Sorry, Bill. Your vision is nothing to mess with. If I knew in 1984 what I know now, I wouldn't have had radial keratotomy done, not because I've had any adverse affects, but simply that the risk of losing best correctable vision was (and is) too high.

I know the flying docs probably considered this, but I'm wondering if your regular doc did: Would it matter if you were talking only positive g's and avoided negative g's?

gonvrtd said:
Maybe it is the winter weather or maybe us aerobatic poilots have spun our last spin, but we haven't had a post in almost a month!!! Where is everyone? Spring will be here before we know it and then its time to hit the skies hard!!! I love reading what everyone has to say about different aerobatic topics and maneuvers and I hope people aren't abandoning this place. Personally I can't wait to get some nicer weather and get up and throw myself around the sky. Any way I thought I would give all the areobats out there a wake up call and say hello. Lets hear about what everyone has planned for this coming up spring and summer.......competitions, fly-ins, airshows, etc....Have fun and be safe! :goofy:

Aerobatics is best learned in a freezing cold airplane. Frozen puke is much easier to clean.:D I like the crisp clear air you get in winter, not to mention the increase in performance. I don't pull as hard on a frozen airframe, but then I just don't pull that hard anyway. There are some very strange and stressfull tumbling manuvers, I don't do those, at all. I could never fly competition aerobatics, not gonna happen. But I can fly a pretty good air show demo, spent a summer doing that. Keep it light, keep it safe, keep it under 4.5 gs, keep it gracefull and everyone including my stomach and the FAA is happy. The most stressfull/violent thing I'll do is a tailslide, and I won't do that in all planes.

Bill Jennings said:
Ken and Diana:

A month ago I asked about glaucoma and acro on the red board, and Dr.s Bruce and Matt and others all suggested it would not be a great idea. I had my quarterly appt. with my optho last week, and posed the same quesion to her. She specialized in glaucoma care.

Now, she could just be CHA, but having heard "not good" from multiple sources is good enough for me. Sight is good.

I will live vicariously thru you all!!!

Well, I'd say you came to a proper conclusion. G's realy aren't worth your vision. Plenty of aviating left. Sorry to hear about the glaucoma. Oh well, with good treatment and advances in medicine it may not be that large of an issue.

Back