Hello from Texas!

Jo Gowing

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jo Lin
Hello from Texas! (I know, it's big.) I'm a student pilot working on my private, but trying to fit lessons into my work load has been challenging. Until 5 years ago, I was a housewife, but my kids are grown now so I have the opportunity to do something that I've always wanted to do: FLY!
To earn money to pay for my expensive new hobby, I teach part-time at a local college. Several of my students are pilots. Anyhow, that's me. 1 husband, 4 grown kids, 3 cats. And a plane that I'm trying to finish building. (Dad started it years ago.)

Hello from Texas! (I know, it's big.) I'm a student pilot working on my private, but trying to fit lessons into my work load has been challenging. Until 5 years ago, I was a housewife, but my kids are grown now so I have the opportunity to do something that I've always wanted to do: FLY!
To earn money to pay for my expensive new hobby, I teach part-time at a local college. Several of my students are pilots. Anyhow, that's me. 1 husband, 4 grown kids, 3 cats. And a plane that I'm trying to finish building. (Dad started it years ago.)
Welcome to the joint. What plane?

Yeah, you can’t just casually mention you’re building a plane and leave it at that…

Welcome to the joint. What plane?
It's a Pazmany PL-2. 2-seater, low-wing, all-aluminum. He managed to finish most of the major components -- wing, tail, landing gear -- but never assembled the fuselage. He got all the parts fabricated, but life happened and now he can't work on it anymore because of health issues.

It's a Pazmany PL-2. 2-seater, low-wing, all-aluminum. He managed to finish most of the major components -- wing, tail, landing gear -- but never assembled the fuselage. He got all the parts fabricated, but life happened and now he can't work on it anymore because of health issues.
Sounds like not a kit. Anyway, best of luck in your pursuits. Oh, yeah, gotta have a punchline. With all those students who are pilots, you could trade grades for flight time:fingerwag::fingerwag:

:) I must be in the right place, then.
There may or may not be one or two here who are building. There’s a thread about it somewhere. I’ve got wing ribs for a Fisher Celebrity languishing around here waiting for me to have more time and space to continue building.

WELCOME!! Glad to have you here. Grab a cup of coffee and a donut, pull up a keyboard, and join the insanity. Post up a few pics of your plane-in-progress when you can.

With all those students who are pilots, you could trade grades for flight time
:yeahthat:

One of my favorite outdoor writers is Havilah Babcock, who for many years was head of the English department at the University of South Carolina. In one of his stories, he wrote, "After thirty-five years a vague rumor still persists that the easiest way to pass English 129 is to take me hunting, a rumor arising no doubt from the coincidence that students who hunt with me make better grades than those who don't."

Sounds like not a kit. Anyway, best of luck in your pursuits. Oh, yeah, gotta have a punchline. With all those students who are pilots, you could trade grades for flight time:fingerwag::fingerwag:
LOL! Only one has his own plane, and he's not a CFI (yet).

It's a big state. What part? Are you in a group of other builders?
We're in the Pineywoods area in Longview (between Shreveport, LA, and Dallas). I'm a member of EAA over at Mineola-Weisner, and the school I teach at has a phenomenal aviation program. I was able to take Metal Structures this summer from a top-notch guy.

First, welcome!

IIRC, the PL-2 and especially the PL-1 are known for taking a looong time to build and are definitely not built from kits.

btw, The PL-2 was definitely not a kit, unless you count blueprints and sheets of aluminum a kit. Now it's more like a kit -- Dad made most of the parts. He got stumped when he needed to do the fiberglass for the tip-tanks and the cowling, and the fuselage is just a collection of bulkheads, longerons, and skin at this point. I learned the basics of riveting this summer. We'll see how it goes.

First, welcome!

IIRC, the PL-2 and especially the PL-1 are known for taking a looong time to build and are definitely not built from kits.
Thankfully, Dad finished a LOT of the hard work: wing, tail, ailerons, etc. I would love to finish it before he dies, but each day is one day fewer. Unfortunately, it was stored in a barn in South Carolina, so it has a bit of corrosion that I'll have to deal with, too. :( I brought a few pieces from SC for my instructor to see so we can tell if it's worth it to move everything from there to here or if I'll just be moving a big pile of scrap aluminum.

There may or may not be one or two here who are building. There’s a thread about it somewhere. I’ve got wing ribs for a Fisher Celebrity languishing around here waiting for me to have more time and space to continue building.
I've got the vertical stabilizer and an aileron laying on my guest bed at the moment. I grew up with the wing in the living room. :)

Howdy from a fellow Texan! I’m in New Braunfels.

Howdy from a fellow Texan! I’m in New Braunfels.
Howdy! New Braunfels is down near San Antonio? I've only been down there once. Our family relocated from South Carolina a few years back.

Howdy! New Braunfels is down near San Antonio? I've only been down there once. Our family relocated from South Carolina a few years back.

Yep. Just north of SA. Nice airport here KBAZ. I rent from On The Fly currently but hoping to buy, one day.

Howdy. How’s LeTourneau?
LeTourneau is amazing. We had a great homecoming last weekend. Dynamic Aviation flew in a DC-3, Miss Virginia (I think), and took us up for rides. Go-kart races are back. Things are looking good to me. We've got some great students.

Welcome and good luck with the build.
Thank you! It'll be a miracle if I can complete it. :) From what I've seen, they're sweet little planes. The last time I saw one up close was at Oshkosh when I was a kid. I haven't seen one since then.

Hey Jo, welcome. I suggest rallying to get the license done otherwise it can drag out for years. Post some pics of the plane.

Hey Jo, welcome. I suggest rallying to get the license done otherwise it can drag out for years. Post some pics of the plane.
That's the plan! I just did my first night flight last night (it was amazing!!) and I'm scheduled for my long-distance CX solo this coming Tuesday. KGGG > KSLR > KTXK > KGGG. I'm earning my wings!

Welcome to POA

Back