Hello from Maine

armycopter

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
armycopter
First post here after lurking for a few weeks. I just wanted to to say hi and introduce myself. I hope to learn a lot from all the experience pilots and students here.

A little about me, I am 46 and returning to fixed wing flying after a long break in training. Actually, many breaks. I took lessons when I was 18 from my grandfather in his Citabria. I solo'd back then after 6 hours (just checked my old log book) which even now I think was crazy but I did pretty good. I trained for a little while longer but joined the military and stopped trained soon after.

Fast foward 10 years, I decided to try again. Got another 15 hours or so and solo'd again. Life took over, money got short and I stopped training.

Got off active duty and joined the Army National Guard. Went to flight school for the Army and became a helicopter pilot. That was in 1998. I still fly helo's for the Guard and have my commercial, instrument, rotary wing ticket (but have never used it in a civilian sense).

Fast forward another few years and in 2005 I took fixed wing lessons again. Got another 5 hours or so and yet again, quit due to money and life.

So... here we are in 2015. I have the money and the time. Got my medical last week and meet with the Chief Pilot at our local airport on Wednesday to scrub my logbook and see what type of training plan we can put together. I will be flying out of KSFM.

I am both excited and nervous. I am very comfortable flying a helo in all kinds of weather but the mental barrier I have built up in my mind around fixed wing will take some time to get thru. It's weird but I have always wanted to do this both for myself and my grandfather (who has since passed away). I really want to get my PPL and check this off my bucket list. I have day dreams about showing my kids the wonders of flight. My grandfather was a pilot, my father is a pilot, and I hope to soon be a fixed wing pilot.

My main goals are to be safe, fly within my experience level, and have fun.

Sorry for rambling, just saying hello!

Welcome to POA. Sounds like you have a lot of experience with helos, what type have you flown? I'm sure you have fun finishing your PPL. Then you'll have to find a plane to buy. Any thoughts as to what plane fits you mission?

Give yourself five hours or so and you will be so far ahead of the game than anyone else with the same fixed wing time....my story is not unlike yours after flying 24 years of Army Rotorwing...and a few years off missing flying I woke up and had the money and time...your a rated aviator and fixed wing add on is easy...heck your not even a student pilot! Good source of info in one spot...and if you don't need the commercial route the plane old single engine land is a piece of cake.

http://www.jetcareers.com/military-helo-to-civilian-fixed.html

Welcome to POA. Sounds like you have a lot of experience with helos, what type have you flown? I'm sure you have fun finishing your PPL. Then you'll have to find a plane to buy. Any thoughts as to what plane fits you mission?

Thanks! Not sure I am in the market for a plane just yet but if I were, I would think something with four seats, high wing, floats available, and easy on maintenance/fuel. Not too concerned with cruise speed as I would probably keep within New England. Family overnight trips, remote camping on lakes, etc.

Welcome to the forum,you'll be fine,relax and enjoy the ride.

Welcome to POA. WOCS in 2000 and retired in 2012. A few other former & current Army Aviators on POA. Good luck with your FW training.

You're so far ahead of the game it isn't funny.......should be a breeze....you've got the radio chatter down, weather, airspace.........piece o cake.........

Thanks folks! Can't wait to begin. Got a new to me headset with noise reduction. Looking forward to flight without a helmet. Of course it's getting cold here in Maine. Not sure why I always seem to start flight training in the winter but, hey, I love a challenge.

Thanks folks! Can't wait to begin. Got a new to me headset with noise reduction. Looking forward to flight without a helmet. Of course it's getting cold here in Maine. Not sure why I always seem to start flight training in the winter but, hey, I love a challenge.

Just finishing my annual, getting ready for winter flying. Fall in S.E. AK is normally very rainy, with lots of fog, and just bad flying weather. Winter flying can be very good. Clear days with little wind. Crossing my fingers for a good winter.

No challenge, flying in the winter, just 1 1/2 hrs preheating getting ready to fly. That is unless you have a hanger, then 30mim up and out...:yes:

You can get some of the best performance flying your plane in winter conditions. I would think you are close to sea level, cold winter days are great for single engine aircraft (as you know).......;)

Last edited:
Just finishing my annual, getting ready for winter flying. Fall in S.E. AK is normally very rainy, with lots of fog, and just bad flying weather. Winter flying can be very good. Clear days with little wind. Crossing my fingers for a good winter.

No challenge, flying in the winter, just 1 1/2 hrs preheating getting ready to fly. That is unless you have a hanger, then 30mim up and out...:yes:

You can get some of the best performance flying your plane in winter conditions. I would think you are close to sea level, cold winter days are great for single engine aircraft (as you know).......;)

I have always wanted to go to Alaska. Someday I'm sure I'll make it up there. I can't imagine the flying. It must be unbelievably scenic and beautiful.

Welcome and enjoy. You be flying the family before you know it. Sanford is a great little airport. I'm living in Tennessee now, but got my ticket at SFM in 1986. Flew back up that way last June and again in July. Stayed at PSM, but stopped in at SFM just for fun. Good luck :) You've got some great coastal flying up there..I'll back next spring. Enjoy!!

Hello from Bangor!

If you get up to KBGR or KOLD let me know, I'd love to take you up in the G1000 172 I rent.

Hello from Bangor!

If you get up to KBGR or KOLD let me know, I'd love to take you up in the G1000 172 I rent.

Hey Pirate, I am in Bangor a lot. I fly helos out of KBGR. I was in KOLD about two weeks ago. KMLT, KBHB, KLRG, KPNN,,, are all frequent visits!

The plane I use is parked in the hangers right across the ANG helo base at Bangor. Hit me up with a PM if you want to meet up and go flying. I could use an excuse to get some more cross-country time.

Back