Hello from LZU

Triggerhappyjack

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TriggerHappyJack
Hello, first post here. I am a 41 year old Army officer who is close to retirement. I am learning how to fly to fulfill a life long dream and possible second career. I currently have 55 hours and have a couple more lessons before my check ride. My instructor thinks I am ready but I don't feel ready. I fly out of LZU and love all things aviation.

RLTW!!

Hello, first post here. I am a 41 year old Army officer who is close to retirement. I am learning how to fly to fulfill a life long dream and possible second career. I currently have 55 hours and have a couple more lessons before my check ride. My instructor thinks I am ready but I don't feel ready. I fly out of LZU and love all things aviation.

RLTW!!

You're ready. With an Army pension coming in, you'll be able to make a second career out of aviation pretty well 'Being all you can be':lol:;) No pension makes it pretty tough starting in your 40s. Have fun, go do your check ride and go fly some trips around the country to visit folks around. That's really what makes you 'feel ready'. Those long trips are where you have the time to fiddle with things, really work out how to trim the plane to fly itself, and gain confidence. If you do the trips Solo, you can also knock out your Pre Instrument rating and Commercial XC Solo requirements.

Have fun and oh yeah, welcome.;)

BTW, there are a bunch of good people around LZU and I'm sure the EAA chapter president will pop in this thread and say 'howdy'.

It's an antique, and a wood wing at that. Wood wings are always a bit suspect. Neat old plane though. Love that taildragger retract, what a kick! Supposed to "handle like a dream". Good luck with it!

Greetings, Shilo. I'm based at LZU also so maybe we'll run into each other sometime. Best of luck with your checkride!
- Russ

You're ready. With an Army pension coming in, you'll be able to make a second career out of aviation pretty well 'Being all you can be':lol:;) No pension makes it pretty tough starting in your 40s. Have fun, go do your check ride and go fly some trips around the country to visit folks around. That's really what makes you 'feel ready'. Those long trips are where you have the time to fiddle with things, really work out how to trim the plane to fly itself, and gain confidence. If you do the trips Solo, you can also knock out your Pre Instrument rating and Commercial XC Solo requirements.

Have fun and oh yeah, welcome.;)

BTW, there are a bunch of good people around LZU and I'm sure the EAA chapter president will pop in this thread and say 'howdy'.

Hmmmm, why would I pop in :D

BTW, Triggerhappyjack welcome to POA. We'd love to have you attend one of our meetings.

We have a pancake breakfast the first Saturday of every month. Breakfast is served from 8:00am - 10:30am with a program following.

Our general chapter meeting is held the second Friday of each month beginning at 8:00pm. Many of us meet at "The Flying Machine" beginning at 6:00pm for dinner.

We have about 220 members in the chapter and are very active. We are currently building a monument for the airport at the Briscoe Blvd. entrance.

We also fly Young Eagles on the third Saturday of each month beginning at 8:30am and are always looking for volunteers to help out.

If you would like to know more about the chapter you can go eaa690.org (our main website) or eaa690.net (a secondary site used by our members).

We will also be hosting the EAA's B17 "Aluminum Overcast" the weekend of October 24 - 26 on the ramp by Gwinnett Aero.

Which school are you training with?

I am training at The Flight School of Gwinnett. Thanks for the info on your meetings, I will come by and check one out. Right now I am studying so much for my oral I think my head is going to explode. I was a lot younger the last time I studied this much!

Friend of mine retired from the Army as a Lt. Colonel and started a second career as an airline pilot.

He bought a C152 and flew it like mad to build time. He had his 1500 when he retired last year and is now flying for ExpressJet.

Welcome,good luck on the check ride,relax.

I am training at The Flight School of Gwinnett. Thanks for the info on your meetings, I will come by and check one out. Right now I am studying so much for my oral I think my head is going to explode. I was a lot younger the last time I studied this much!

We have a group of guys that get together every Thursday evening for dinner. We meet first at The Flight School beginning around 5:00 and then leave from there for dinner. Usually done around 7:30.

Currently I am going every other week. This will be my week off, but others will be there.

Back