Hello everyone! Just signed on today.

Luv2Huvr

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
Just wanted to say hello.

I just signed on here today.

Was looking to see if anyone had the Garmin GDL39 ads-b receiver that they use with the ipad. Or Stratus. I have seen some people using these and have been very interested. 2 of my students have them and I would like to get one of the receivers with the ipad. In the past I did have the Garmin 396 with the Xm weather, and it worked well but the idea of having no monthly fee is attractive.

Thanks for any advice on the ads-b stuff

Chris

Howdy Chris! Welcome to PoA!

And your handle...?

Love to... Hoover? A clean carpet nut? /poke

Was looking to see if anyone had the Garmin GDL39 ads-b receiver that they use with the ipad. Or Stratus.

Have a Stratus and it works quite well when in ADS-B tower land. No real complaints other than coverage won't be complete for another year. Oh well.

It does provide Nexrad, METARs, NOTAMs, TFRs, Winds, etc. Works well with Foreflight although the initial connection may require restarting Foreflight.

There are other ADS-B receivers available that work with software other than Foreflight on the IPAD. Some of the other receivers may offer traffic info which Stratus does not offer.

I think the Garmin unit only works with their application.

I think the Garmin unit only works with their application.

Thanks for the info. I want to at least get the ipad and fore flight to have all the charts and reference material so I am not carrying around a large bag of books. Then have time to decide which ADS-B receiver will be best.

Thanks for the info. I want to at least get the ipad and fore flight to have all the charts and reference material so I am not carrying around a large bag of books. Then have time to decide which ADS-B receiver will be best.

Someone will correct if I'm wrong, but I believe currently the Stratus unit is the only one that works with FF as far as ADS-B is concerned. I do believe they are looking at some other units, just don't remember whose.

Welcome , I use the Ipad with foreflight ,very happy with the foreflight pro. About to purchase the stratos after talking to all the vendors at OSH.

One more question about foreflight. A fellow pilot tells me that you don't need the Stratus ADS-B receiver, just activate the Verizon 3G and it works fine in the air up to about 7000'.
Is that true? and I would have to look in to the legality of using that in the air.

Any comments someone please inform me on this.

One more question about foreflight. A fellow pilot tells me that you don't need the Stratus ADS-B receiver, just activate the Verizon 3G and it works fine in the air up to about 7000'.
Is that true? and I would have to look in to the legality of using that in the air.

I dont think there is any legal concern, however I don't think your going to get very consistant signal at 7000 AGL.

Also, the Status doubles as a more accurate GPS.

It is highly dependent upon where you are. I have had GSM data from Verizon and AT&T work at altitude... But you cannot count on it, at all. I find it least likely to work in more-populated areas.

So, no, GSM data is not the answer.

Oh, and it's not completely free (close to it). It's still going to cost you a minimum of $6.67 a month, as that's the minimum cost of foreflight.

Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't.

Definitely 100% illegal. Pilots know the FAA rules, but ignore the FCC rules.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/wireless-devices-airplanes

Maybe someone will care, maybe they won't.

Maybe there aren't any cops sitting watching the stop sign, maybe there are.

Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't.

Definitely 100% illegal. Pilots know the FAA rules, but ignore the FCC rules.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/wireless-devices-airplanes

Maybe someone will care, maybe they won't.

Maybe there aren't any cops sitting watching the stop sign, maybe there are.

So a Status is ilegal, along with Garmin's solution, as both use ground based communications (wifi or bluetooth). Same with the iPad and any Android device with those communication options.

I don't run stop signs, but I have been known to drive over the speed limit from time to time...

So a Status is ilegal, along with Garmin's solution, as both use ground based communications (wifi or bluetooth). Same with the iPad and any Android device with those communication options.

I don't run stop signs, but I have been known to drive over the speed limit from time to time...

If you meant Stratus, no they're not illegal because they're using ADS-B frequencies for an aviation licensed purpose. Same thing with XM receivers licensed for "mobile" purposes.

Read the link, it's about cell phone frequencies. Specifically 800 MHz. If you can find a cell phone that will never switch to 800 MHz, you're golden. (Good luck.)

The military has some data cards they worked with the manufacturers and the carriers to switch off 800 MHz in firmware. Those under the current FCC law, are legal.

Then the FAA laws kick in.

If you meant Stratus, no they're not illegal because they're using ADS-B frequencies for an aviation licensed purpose. Same thing with XM receivers licensed for "mobile" purposes.

I think that's an incomplete answer. The Stratus and similar devices aren't "just" using ADS-B frequencies -- they're still transmitting over wifi frequencies (2.4 and 5.8 GHz) to the display devices. I think it's a non-issue, though, because those are mostly-unlicensed bands and will not interfere with the 800 MHz area the FCC is concerned about. It's the cell phone transmissions that could run you afoul of the FCC, but I personally have never been able to get reception above 3000' even over large metropolitan areas.

I think that's an incomplete answer. The Stratus and similar devices aren't "just" using ADS-B frequencies -- they're still transmitting over wifi frequencies (2.4 and 5.8 GHz) to the display devices. I think it's a non-issue, though, because those are mostly-unlicensed bands and will not interfere with the 800 MHz area the FCC is concerned about. It's the cell phone transmissions that could run you afoul of the FCC, but I personally have never been able to get reception above 3000' even over large metropolitan areas.

Well technically the ADS-B is a receiver, and requires zero licensing. The 802.11 transmitter is licensed under Part 15.

You are correct there's no relationship whatsoever between these ADS-B devices and 800 MHz cellular.

FCC says no cellular 800 MHz aeronautical mobile.

FCC says Part 15 devices must accept any interference from any other device.

That's their portion of it.

FAA has various other rules.

Thanks for all the good input and info. I used to have a Garmin 396 with XM, but $50+ a month was expensive. Thinking the Stratus can pay for itself in just over a year. Been putting this iPad to good use. The more I use it the more I like it.

Stratus - Love it. I stuck it in the plane, turned it on, went to Settings on the iPad and iPhone to join its wifi network (a one-time deal, they should remember it next time), went into ForeFlight's Devices section to check on it and fiddle with the settings. Decided the only thing I wanted to switch was to turn "Turn on when powered" on. Now I don't even need to touch the power button any more - When I'm on the ground, ForeFlight is getting its weather updates from the Internet. When I turn the master on, the Stratus turns itself on (using the juice from the cigarette plug and the aforementioned setting), and by the time I take off it's got a good GPS fix and at 100 AGL it starts receiving weather updates from the ADS-B network. Really slick!

As for cellular data in the air - Good luck. It's VERY inconsistent. Near populated areas it won't work at all since you'll have line-of-sight to so many cell locations the network gets confused (and so does the device). It'll show full signal but you won't be able to get anything at all. As you move away from populated areas, you'll start being able to receive bits of data down low, and the farther from civilization you are, the higher it'll actually be workable - But "workable" in this case isn't really much. You won't get animated radar. In fact, you'll be lucky to get a complete still radar picture. Definitely NOT something that can be counted on - You need a box like the Stratus to even think about having reliable in-cockpit weather.

Hope this helps, and welcome aboard!

In the past I did have the Garmin 396 with the Xm weather, and it worked well but the idea of having no monthly fee is attractive.
You still get yearly fee for the app on iPad if you go that route.

Back