Hello again! Also, a what aircraft thread.

DC34ME

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DC34ME
Hey PoA, it has been a while since I have been on here. I have lurked a few times but haven't posted anything. Life has a way of surprising you, and it's not always good. I sold my airplane, got divorced, built a race car, and generally got away from flying for a while. I am beyond ready to return.

I have decided to buy a complex aircraft. A huge chunk of my flying time is in twins, with the rest mostly being Piper Arrows. I figured I would look into an Arrow because it seems logical, I have over 250 hours in type. I noticed that some Beech Debonairs are in my price range (40-55k) but I really know nothing about them. Old V35s are also price well, but for some reason I like the 33 better.

I would like to buy an Arrow, but should I rule out a Debonair in my search? I only need 2 seats most of the time and less than 3 hours range. If you do happen to have some "what to look for" advice on the Debonair, I would appreciate hearing about it. I hope to be flying again soon!

If this is the wrong section I'm sorry, please move it.

I would like to help you but I fly a Cessna 182, and have no experience in those other types.

Pray tell us, what is your essential mission?

Look at the Comanche family. A 180 or 250 would be in your price range depending on the panel and times. They are a great value and super travelers. You're about two weeks too late to buy the last one I owned.

Arrows are sound ircraft, but their essential mission in life is to be a retractable, so you can secure a complex endorsement. Many other aircraft of similar price will do more.

Comanche, mentioned above, is a fine airplane. Debonair, of course, is a Bonanza at its core, and exquisite in its inherent excellence.

I have only been a renter but like the mooney m20. My hours are in a J model, but I always come across C models that look nice for under 50k. I checked out a debonair the local fbo has and was surprised how big it is. If you don't need to carry much the debonair might not be as efficient.

Look at the Comanche family. A 180 or 250 would be in your price range depending on the panel and times. They are a great value and super travelers. You're about two weeks too late to buy the last one I owned.

The Arrow is a great trainer but the ones I have flown I don't think really make much sense as a personal airplane. A Cherokee 180 or Cherokee 235 will give most or more performance than the Arrow with less maintenance.

I would look more at a Mooney or Comanche. Beechcraft's might be an option as well but I haven't had the opportunity to fly them much. If you are committed to a complex aircraft.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Thanks for the replies everybody. I will look into a Comanche, I know of one local to me for sale. It is a 250 with basic avionics. I would really like an IFR panel just in case, but most of my flying will be VFR, I don't get paid to fly anymore so I don't care for flying in IMC. Arrows seem to have good panels in my price range compared to old Debonairs and Comanches, but I'm not ruling them out in my search.

My mission is simple, I go to Florida a few times a year and fly local just for fun. I don't need too much airplane right now.

+1 for the Comanche 250 or 260. I'm biased, but it's probably the best flying single Piper ever built (because it was designed to compete with the Bonanza). But unlike the Bo, you can put 4 fat guys in it and really go somewhere. Has a terrific wing, has nice controls, but very stabil in cruise (unlike the Beeches). Downsides are long list of ADs and dimishing parts supply, and requires considerable finese to land well. Much better than the Arrow in every respect. Note: 180 is way underpowered.

The biggest question comes down to how much speed you need to be happy with what you're doing. The Comanche 250 is great because it represents an excellent value with good speed and efficiency. Certainly equal or better than the Arrow. I like the way they fly better as well. The O-540 in the Comanche is a nice, bulletproof engine.

Some of the Debonairs or early Bonanzas might also fit in your price range, and give you good performance and value for your money.

Arrows are fine, and I have a decent amount of time in a 76 Arrow II. However, as others have said they are good complex trainers, and a bit slow for a retract. However, if you don't mind going 135 - 140 KTAS, then no worries, but a Grumman Tiger will do that with a fixed prop, and fixed gear. (Had to get that in there. :) )

If you want a bit more speed I'd look at the M20F, and M20J Mooney as well as the Bo, and Comanche.

I have an Arrow II and am quite happy with the speed vs. fuel burn. I recently did an up and back xc at 143 kt and well under 9 gph. Mine has all speed mods except the cowling.

The Arrow is a great trainer but the ones I have flown I don't think really make much sense as a personal airplane.
I agree with Brian. A Grumman Tiger has the same speed, range, and payload as an Arrow, but at significantly reduced cost for insurance and maintenance. If you were trying to build retractable time for some reason, or needed something to meet the complex requirements for Commercial or CFI, that would be different, but I don't see the point of buying an Arrow otherwise.

I would look more at a Mooney or Comanche. Beechcraft's might be an option as well but I haven't had the opportunity to fly them much.
I've flown at least 50 hours in each of the three (M20, PA24, and BE33/35/36), and I agree that if you really want the speed advantage of retractable gear in a single, those are the planes at which you should be looking (along with, perhaps the C-182RG and C-210). Since you don't plan on carrying more than two people, the payload advantages of the six-cylinder models tend to disappear, and the Mooney M20 stands out.

Given your modest loading requirements, I don't see any reason to pay the fuel and mx for a 6-banger. A Mooney or a Tiger would be my choices.

Back