Helicopters in the Movies

Palmpilot

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Palm
In the past few days, I have watched two movies in which the PIC was flying a helicopter from the left seat. I was under the impression that helicopter pilots usually flew from the right seat. Or is that not the case?

Generally yes. For some, it's even in the flight manual for the pilot to operate in the right seat. Military, well you can flip flop all you want. I preferred left.

Possibly the movie you watched the actor was playing PIC in the left when the actual pilot was seated right.

Depends on the helicopter (and which way the rotor turns). I believe the Engstrom is a notable exception from most helicopters as the PIC sits on the left

Generally yes. For some, it's even in the flight manual for the pilot to operate in the right seat. Military, well you can flip flop all you want. I preferred left.

Possibly the movie you watched the actor was playing PIC in the left when the actual pilot was seated right.
Bingo.

Depends on the helicopter (and which way the rotor turns). I believe the Engstrom is a notable exception from most helicopters as the PIC sits on the left
I really don't think the direction of the rotor has anything to do with it, but your right, the Enstrom's fly from the left seat.

I really don't think the direction of the rotor has anything to do with it, but your right, the Enstrom's fly from the left seat.
I learned in an Enstrom, and from what I remember, when they take out the dual controls needed for instruction they install a bench seat so they can take two passengers. The pilot can't fly from the right because the place where the collective would be is covered by the bench.

The Hughes/MD Helicopters 500 series is flown from left.

Side by side seating? Who knew... I prefer the back seat in mine, unless I know we're going kinetic then I like being up front.

Side by side seating? Who knew... I prefer the back seat in mine, unless I know we're going kinetic then I like being up front.

You all log seat position on the -12 correct?

Last edited:
Back