Velocity173

Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Velocity173
Last edited:
#idontwatchonlinecommercials

The story may or may not be accurate, real or good; i hate video news, it's easier and faster to read than to watch.

The first time I pressed Play, the picture shifted and another Play button appeared. So I dutifully pressed that, only to see "Ad 1 of 1" appear and begin playing 30 seconds' worth. Took me 3 seconds to realize what was going on and hit the "x" in the corner.

I'll check back to see if anything interesting happened, and / or if it was accurately reported.

#idontwatchonlinecommercials

The story may or may not be accurate, real or good; i hate video news, it's easier and faster to read than to watch.

The first time I pressed Play, the picture shifted and another Play button appeared. So I dutifully pressed that, only to see "Ad 1 of 1" appear and begin playing 30 seconds' worth. Took me 3 seconds to realize what was going on and hit the "x" in the corner.

I'll check back to see if anything interesting happened, and / or if it was accurately reported.

Yeah I don't like that vid either. This one is better.

http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/p...truck-black-hawk-helicopter-article-1.3515770

"The NYPD and military police are trying to identify the pilot of a drone that smashed into a Black Hawk helicopter over Staten Island."

Given the typical speeds involved, it seems more likely that the helicopter smashed into the so called "drone".

Another news agency spreading bad info. Not illegal to fly a drone within 5 miles of an airport either.

May not be a popular opinion, but too many idiots out there flying drones too close to airports. They should be regulated much more than they are

My Phantom 4 Pro tops out at 45mph in Sport mode which is pretty fast but I don't think fast enough to intentionally run into a helicopter... who knows though?

And for the one millionth time, it's not against the law to fly your drone above 400 ft.

If the drone is for recreational use, then you've gotta keep 'em at or below 400 ft AGL, just like the model airplane guys.

If the drone is for recreational use, then you've gotta keep 'em at or below 400 ft AGL, just like the model airplane guys.

Negative. It is only a recommendation in AC 91-57. The 400 ft rule is imposed by the FAA for those using UAS aircraft for commercial or non recreational purposes. This is a requirement to operate under Part 107.

Recreational pilots fall under Part 101 rules. Pilots that operate under an approved program (AMA) and their aircraft meet the specifications of the "special rule for model aircraft," don't have the 400 ft restriction. Only guidelines from AMA are to stay below 400 ft if operating within 3 miles of an airport. Even then, that restriction doesn't apply if the airport manager is notified. Only altitude restriction I have with my planes is to stay within visual range.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showatt.php?attachmentid=9229755&d=1470325628

Last edited:

Wonder if it was that sheriff who likes to fly his DJI around in IMC?

image.png

Now, in other news, this was brought to the attention of the FSDO, a police department illegally flying a drone, not staying VFR, not having a sUAS cert or a COA, and being a royal ass when I called them to just mention the rules to them, so I call the FSDO... FSDO reaction, "well we will try to talk to them and offer them some suggestions, but we like to keep good relations with the police"

So basically someone blatantly violating more than one FAR, the drone version of driving recklessly without even having a drivers license, and the Feds decide not to enforce their own rules.....but want to make more rules

So the Sheriff was flying over the corn fields near Staten Island?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back