Helicopter Pilots

cwyckham

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
cwyckham
I went in to do my first NZ medical today (that's a whole 'nother thread), and was talking to the nurse about pilots. They do about 50 medicals per week, and I asked if she got bored of it. She said no, the pilots are all really interesting people and are really "switched on." She then said:

"The helicopter pilots are especially interesting. Most of them seem like they just swung in here on the nearest vine." :rofl:

Chris

I went in to do my first NZ medical today (that's a whole 'nother thread), and was talking to the nurse about pilots. They do about 50 medicals per week, and I asked if she got bored of it. She said no, the pilots are all really interesting people and are really "switched on." She then said:

"The helicopter pilots are especially interesting. Most of them seem like they just swung in here on the nearest vine." :rofl:

Chris

That must be why I'm required to have the attached decal on the rear window of my truck :D

Attachments

• danger.jpg
    danger.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 5
a coworker flew helicopters for the military (he's in his 50s now). He said he told people he flew helicopters instead of planes because he was afraid of heights. hahaha

a coworker flew helicopters for the military (he's in his 50s now). He said he told people he flew helicopters instead of planes because he was afraid of heights. hahaha

Not exactly a hahaha, Elizabeth. My wife says that's one of the reasons she vastly prefers helos to fixed wings.

I agree with her. 1500 agl and higher is nosebleed territory :D

You know what? I'm more comfortable the higher up we are. The ground can't getcha from up there! whether you drop from 200 feet or 2000 feet you are likely dead anyway. My biggest issue with landing was seeing the ground come up. Well, that and judging where it actually was - I always misjudged the flare somewhat.

... Well, that and judging where it actually was - I always misjudged the flare somewhat.

I still always misjudge the flare somewhat.

I like the picture of the "luge" in Rotorua. That place is surprisingly fun. Did you try the zorb?

I still always misjudge the flare somewhat.

I like the picture of the "luge" in Rotorua. That place is surprisingly fun. Did you try the zorb?

hoo boy did I ever! twice - once dry and once wet. (in dry, they strap you in by all limbs and you bounce. interesting but not as much fun). wet was more fun - like being in a washing machine. I couldn't stop giggling the whole time. hahahahahahha

what is funny about that picture is the helmet is askew and I look like a short-bus rider. it's hard to see when it's that small though.

I always ask my helicopter pilot friends.
If helicopters are so safe.
How come there are no antique helicopter fly-in's:goofy:
Joe

hoo boy did I ever! twice - once dry and once wet. (in dry, they strap you in by all limbs and you bounce. interesting but not as much fun). wet was more fun - like being in a washing machine. I couldn't stop giggling the whole time. hahahahahahha

I had no idea the zorb would be so much fun. We went in pairs in a wet zorb and I couldn't stop laughing and woohooing. I honestly thought it would be lame, but I had a great time. And you're right, it's like being in a washing machine.

Chris

I just did the annual medical thing this month with an AME I had not seen before. After the normal brief discussion of my medical history and recent physicals, he says to me, "so in other words you're really healthy and there is nothing wrong with you except being a helicopter pilot?"

Yup, perty much.

I just did the annual medical thing this month with an AME I had not seen before. After the normal brief discussion of my medical history and recent physicals, he says to me, "so in other words you're really healthy and there is nothing wrong with you except being a helicopter pilot?"

Yup, perty much.

LOL.

I'll tell you what crazy is, though. There's a company called H.E.A.T. (which stands for, if I remember correctly, Haverfield Electric Aero Team) which periodically flies a MD 500 out of my home field. They do high tension line construction, inspection, and repair work from the 500's.

I stopped by the airport to give a fellow rotorhead a copy of the newly reprinted Fatal Traps book. The ASOS was reporting winds 29019G32. We were amazed to watch these guys depart on a mission in a helicopter that doesn't gross much more than our Raven II.

How would you like to maintain an OGE hover by and/or over high tension wires with that kind of wind? :hairraise:

Is that crazy or what :D

Back