Helicopter fatal KEIK

Very sorry about this. (KEIK is Erie, Colorado, northwest of Denver and east of Boulder.)

Probably a good time to announce:
http://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/event_details.aspx?eid=60028
It's a FAASTeam presentation on "Learning From Recent Accidents and Incidents at Erie Municipal Airport" - 6pm on Friday, Feb. 6 at the Erie Rec Center.

I signed up. Sent a note to the organizer: Will this be a 'regular' FAAST event? Or should we expect a roomful of potentially scared and angry non-pilot residents?

In case of the latter, I encourage local pilots to attend and give a great positive impression of the general aviation community. Remember - scared and uninformed residents are taxpayers, voters, and people, too. (I have flown to KEIK but not affiliated.)

Again, very sorry about this helicopter crash.

I don't know how often you are around EIK Nate but housing development in the area has been pretty strong. Both single family and apartment units have been built just south of the airport along with a fair bit of housing east of the airport (yup, next door to the landfill).

I don't know how often you are around EIK Nate but housing development in the area has been pretty strong. Both single family and apartment units have been built just south of the airport along with a fair bit of housing east of the airport (yup, next door to the landfill).

It's been a while. Oh well. Urban sprawl surrounding airports continues... It was just the airport community and the dump when I flew regularly out of there. ;)

(The dump attracts seagulls too. And those bastards are stupid and don't get out of the way of airplanes like most other birds do.)

The instructor was a great kid from my hometown. He got his private out of the same FBO I teach out of. Prayers for the family. 2nd friend I've lost since I've been a pilot.

Not good.:confused:
Apparently witnesses reported hearing 2 explosions, one while in the air and one when it contacted the ground.

One thing I have learned,

When the FAA accident report reads "destroyed"... its BAD

Back