Helicopter Drops Ammunition

eric_ocean

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
osprey1
this might be better for the spin zone....but i just couldnt believe this one....and had to share it with you... i got a call at the office to warn employees from the emergency service ....20 feet of 50 cal. rounds.....
Helicopter Drops Ammunition
Onslow - 2/28/2007
At approximately, 3 p.m. Wednesday, Onslow County Emergency Services and the Homeland Security Department were advised by a Marine Corps Helicopter Squadron HMM-261 duty officer that a helicopter returning to base had accidentally dropped a belt of ammunition somewhere between the Hunters Creek Housing Complex and Camp Lejeune.

Onslow County Schools immediately warned teachers and students in the areas affected.

The school system also issued an emergency automated phone advisory to all parents living in Hunters Creek and White Oak school districts.

That is approximately 6,000 families.

Anyone who finds ammunition should leave it in its place and call 911 immediately.

That'd be a nice find for someone with a Barrett. Those .50 cal BMG rounds are $4.50 to $10 a pop!

Some military jets out of the DC area put a bunch of rounds into a School in South Jersey last year ( think it was last year) thankfully it was on a weekend and no one was hurt.

Some military jets out of the DC area put a bunch of rounds into a School in South Jersey last year ( think it was last year) thankfully it was on a weekend and no one was hurt.

That was at Warren Grove (R5002C, just north of KACY). Which is where the Warthogs come to play. A couple of years before the school incident, they also started a forest fire which, as I recall, burned out around 11,000 acres around Bass River state forest.

Eric, just a heads up, but if you're going to clip the article, at least provide a link to it. Those pesky copyright things have popped their heads up from time to time. :)

Am I missing something here, I mean bullets, 9mm or 50 cal., do not just explode when you pick them up.

They act like it is nuclear radiation.

maybe they were Calvin & Hobbes readers like me.

Attachments

• 06.gif
    06.gif
    81.1 KB · Views: 41
Am I missing something here, I mean bullets, 9mm or 50 cal., do not just explode when you pick them up.

They act like it is nuclear radiation.

The sky is falling the sky is falling!!!!

.50 Cal ammo = :lightning: Death From above

Its sad what a bunch of wusses some have become. Present company excluded of course.

LETHAL: The .22 calibre bullet found in Walthamstow High Street on a market day morning (D6W1001)

"How can you feel safe when you are finding things like this on the street?

OMG. England is lost. I knew it was bad, but not this bad.

OMG. England is lost. I knew it was bad, but not this bad.

No kidding. That is unreal.

"To get hold of one of these is not easy. You have to go through a scrutinised search, you need a licence and you have to belong to a club."
Wow, didn't know it was that bad over there.

The bullet has been examined at a Metropolitan Police laboratory and details about it kept for future reference.
Seriously?

Police are treating the unattended ammunition as a crime.
Again, they must be kidding? No wonder they want to ban knives used for cooking.

When I was 18 I walked into a store and bought these in boxes by the thousand. No big deal. I never shot anyone either.

As a kid I would get on over to the rifle range as often as I could. Unexploded ordinance all over the place. The 105s I never touched although I would help flag the area. .50 cal and smaller made up most of my home collection. My dad gave me a dime for every .45 I could find. All the kids had their collections. To have found a belt of .50s would be awesome.

When we moved I turned it all over to the range safety.

When I was 18 I walked into a store and bought these in boxes by the thousand. No big deal. I never shot anyone either.

Fortunately, you can still do that here. Remember when every hardware store stocked ammo and sometimes even a selection of guns?

Fortunately, you can still do that here. Remember when every hardware store stocked ammo and sometimes even a selection of guns?
Bought my first two guns from a hardware store - brand new Winchester Model 94 .30-30 for $110 and a used Ruger Blackhawk .357 revolver for $50 back in the mid-70's.

The sky is falling the sky is falling!!!!

.50 Cal ammo = :lightning: Death From above

Its sad what a bunch of wusses some have become. Present company excluded of course.
WUSSES!...?

I once found a BB in my front yard. Police disposed of it safely.

Not as bad as England... :no: :mad: Read it and weep...
Mark, that's nothing short of insane. What in the world is the matter with those people??? I'm sending the link to a British woman I know -see what she has to say about that absurd lunacy ...

Some people just take the oxygen out of a room.

So, do they still sell caps for capguns or are they outlawed too?

Some people just take the oxygen out of a room.

So, do they still sell caps for capguns or are they outlawed too?
I haven't seen either in ages. Heck, they were so cheap I'd just take a roll of caps and reap havoc with a hammer. :D

I haven't seen either in ages. Heck, they were so cheap I'd just take a roll of caps and reap havoc with a hammer. :D
Same here. And believe it or not, you can still get genuine cap pistols with caps. Not the high quality we used to get though...

Oh yeah, box (not a roll, the whole box) of caps...
on an anvil...
with a sledge...
in a metal machine shop ...

HUH? ????? WHATJASAY???? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!@!!!

Back