Helicopter down at T82

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
Not a lot of details yet, helicopter went down tonight at T82 - Fredericksburg. It had just taken off, headed for San Antonio, and hit powerlines.

One confirmed dead, others in the hospital. Fortunately, the hospital is about a mile from the airport.

wsuffa said:
Not a lot of details yet, helicopter went down tonight at T82 - Fredericksburg. It had just taken off, headed for San Antonio, and hit powerlines.

One confirmed dead, others in the hospital. Fortunately, the hospital is about a mile from the airport.
Man, I hate to hear that -- wire strikes are the number 1 accident cause for helicopters.

A MedaVac also went down yesterday in WI. I have not heard the cause yet. All sad

Crash of Brown County rescue helicopter kills pilot

Associated Press
Published April 13, 2006, 7:17 PM CDT

BELLEVUE, Wis. -- A Brown County rescue helicopter on a test flight experienced mechanical problems and crashed Thursday, killing the pilot, authorities said.

The victim was identified later Thursday by Interim Medical Examiner Al Klimek as James J. Vincent Jr., 46, of Menominee, Mich., the only person aboard the helicopter when it crashed about 10:30 a.m.

Tom Madigan, director of County Rescue Services Inc., said the helicopter was on a test maintenance flight when it experienced the mechanical trouble and came down outside the rescue headquarters building.

Witnesses reported seeing the helicopter spin in circles before crashing down.

"I heard the thud when it hit the ground," said Paul Schiltz, who said he could see the helicopter plummeting from his nearby apartment.

Jerry Rhodes, who was driving in the area, said the helicopter spun toward some apartment buildings, hovered briefly over a field and then crashed. He said he saw a man stumble from the wreckage and keel over.

Connie Ashley, who works at a nearby office, said the helicopter didn't sound like they usually do when they fly over the area.

"The sound was all wrong. Then we heard a thump," she said, and when she walked outside she saw "a very destroyed helicopter -- just a big pile of metal."

Madigan called the incident "a tragedy of monumental proportions."

He said the 1987 American Eurocopter BO-105, one of two helicopters in the agency's air ambulance program, had 4,800 hours on its airframe and had been serviced on March 22 and April 12.

Madigan said the air ambulance service would continue operating while the cause of the accident is investigated.

The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Administration were expected to investigate.

yuk.
The NW end is uphill, and relatively congested with obstructions, I always try to take off to the SE. looks like the wind was out of the south 5-10 at the time, too. :(

wsuffa said:
A little more info in the fish-wrap this morning. Robbie R-44, 4 aboard, 1 dead, 3 in hospital. Crash occurred around 7 PM - it still would have been light out. It's 50 NM my air to San Antonio International, 60 NM to Stinson.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA041406.2B.copter.crash.death.327a9dc1.html

Bob, with sufficient fuel for that trip, will the R-44 hold 4 people and still be within W&B?
In principle, sure. The payload for a Raven II is 900 lbs not counting fuel. Fuel burn is on the order of 15 gph. Having said that it depends on how the a/c is equiped, density altitude, PAX weights, etc.

A Raven I can haul a little less.

FWIW, helicopters are different in that in general, if you can bring it to a 2 foot hover without exceeding the maximum power limitations, it will fly. It will fly even when you can't get it to hover out of ground effect because it takes so much power to hover.

4 people and full fuel will not work, however :no:

Let'sgoflying! said:
yuk.
The NW end is uphill, and relatively congested with obstructions, I always try to take off to the SE. looks like the wind was out of the south 5-10 at the time, too. :(
I looked at the photos of T82, and can't see how you could very easily manage to run into an obstruction there in a helicopter, unless you didn't see it. You always have the option, particularly at an untowered field, to take off into the wind, and if you do that, you can clear a pretty high obstacle if you have a few hundred feet to play with. And, you can make very tight turns to avoid the obstacle.

Even doing a normal profile takeoff (as opposed to a high performance t/o) 500 feet will get you over a 50' obstacle with lots to spare.

Trouble is that wires are a real bear to see. Which is why I was taught to fly over the towers -- if you can clear the tower you don't have to worry about the wires ;)

The pictures on the news looked like low power lines, not the high tension type.

The news story says "north of the airport", which would put it into the industrial development area. The north side of the airport is where the buildings & fairgrounds are - I think there are bleachers higher than most power lines.

Dave's right, though, the north-west end of the runway is close to a road and the land rises a bit.

Here are two other stories on it, including a video report:
http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=B4E128A8-B2F9-40B6-BBB2-D5AF26BE23A7

http://www.ksat.com/news/8691623/detail.html

Back