Helicopter Crash in Maryland

This is indeed a tragic event. I personally know the owner of the helicopter company that owned the R44 involved in the crash. I was aware of the charity event they are raising money and awareness for. Very sad. My best wishes to the families of all involved.

The follow-up news stories are praising the professionalism of the organizers and crew, but did you see the quote from one of the first Washington Post stories?

The safety board also will probe the pilot's certification and experience level. Higgins said the pilot had 630 hours in flight time, but declined to comment when asked to characterize it as a high or low experience level. Gary C. Robb, a lawyer and helicopter crash expert, said he believed only pilots with at least 1,000 hours should be allowed to fly nonfamily members.

:mad2:
________
drugtest

Last edited:
This is indeed a tragic event. I personally know the owner of the helicopter company that owned the R44 involved in the crash. I was aware of the charity event they are raising money and awareness for. Very sad. My best wishes to the families of all involved.

The follow-up news stories are praising the professionalism of the organizers and crew, but did you see the quote from one of the first Washington Post stories?

:mad2:

Mr. Robb (what an appropriate name?) is yet another douche bag bottom dweller "attorney" that makes his living suing aviation cases. Had the pilot had over 1000 hours I'm sure he would just move the bar up to 1500, and so on.

From his website:

Our law firm has achieved record jury verdicts in private aviation accident lawsuits, including the two highest jury verdicts ever in helicopter crash trials: a $350 million verdict for a pilot killed in a Life Flight helicopter crash, and a separate $70 million verdict for a passenger killed in that same helicopter crash.
Robb & Robb's attorneys have obtained record settlements that include a $38 million settlement for a young woman severely injured in a helicopter crash at the Grand Canyon (highest settlement in U.S. history for helicopter crash injury), a $27.5 million settlement on behalf of skydivers killed in a small plane crash (highest total settlement for a small plane crash), and a $26 million settlement for the wrongful deaths of a husband and wife in a North Carolina plane crash (highest aviation settlement in U.S. history for the death of a husband and wife).
Private Plane Crash lawsuits are complex and challenging. Private aircraft do not have the "black boxes" which commercial planes do. In addition, regulation and enforcement of maintenance and certification procedures are not nearly as rigorous for private aircraft.

Sad case indeed. I didn't know getting 420 million would bring the pilot and passenger back to life....money does wonders I guess.

Word I have is he hit wires at 70 AGL in really dog-poo weather at night. Weather was known to be that bad when he took off.

Mr. Robb (what an appropriate name?) is yet another douche bag bottom dweller "attorney" that makes his living suing aviation cases. Had the pilot had over 1000 hours I'm sure he would just move the bar up to 1500, and so on.

FYI
[SIZE=+0]Watch what you say about lawyers (part XI).[/SIZE] Aviation trial lawyer Arthur Alan Wolk, after winning a record-breaking $480 million jury verdict against Cessna last month, came in for heated criticism from readers of AVweb and other general aviation enthusiast websites (see Aug. 24-26, Aug. 20-21). Now, reports AVweb, Wolk "has filed a lawsuit against AVweb, two of its editors and four subscribers. Wolk's suit, filed in a Pennsylvania court, is critical of statements made on AVweb. The lawsuit seeks in excess of $100,000 in compensatory and punitive damages." AVweb says it is evaluating the merits of the suit. (AVweb Newswire, Sept. 6 (scroll to "On the Fly", near bottom of page)). Update Oct. 12-14 (more on suit). Further update Sept. 16-17, 2002: in July 2002 AVweb capitulated and published on its website an extensive apology to Wolk, along with an apology from one of the individually sued posters.
http://overlawyered.com/archives/01/sept1.html

Joe Williams, who was on PoA and is sometimes on the purple board, was one of the three posters on AvWeb that Wolk sued.

Back