Helena, MT in early September

Chrisgoesflying

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Chrisgoesflying
I have to take a trip to Helena next month. Since I’m making the trip, I thought I’d stay a few days for a long weekend. I only have to be in Helena one day, but can go anywhere after that for an additional three days. Right now, the plan is to fly to Great Falls to clear customs, then continue on to Helena and attend my meeting the next day. After that, I was going to stay in Helena and use a rental car to discover the area, unless some of you fine folks who know the area have a better idea. Also, any recommendations on what to do in MT? Any significant aviation related activities? Any good BBQ joints I can’t miss while there?

I have a friend in Helena, he’s always asking me to come out, mostly fishing. I’d like to, but more often family issues, visits, & help become a higher priority.

I flew my plane from WI to Salt Lake this past April. I had a plan in the back pocket to detour to Helena on the way out or back, wasn’t to be. My routes included snaking up NW out of the SLC area, then getting kinda East(SE) out of Helena to get back home. As it was with weather, I had enough just to get to the SLC area.

You could have great weather, or uncooperative weather, all depends. One can usually get a good feel 1-2 days out. That’s about the time to formulate a plan, could be landing short, switching to a rental car.

I’d just go with the flow, lots to explore, should be a great time to visit. A few minutes on Google maps & trip advisor with give plenty of ideas.

I have to take a trip to Helena next month. Since I’m making the trip, I thought I’d stay a few days for a long weekend. I only have to be in Helena one day, but can go anywhere after that for an additional three days. Right now, the plan is to fly to Great Falls to clear customs, then continue on to Helena and attend my meeting the next day. After that, I was going to stay in Helena and use a rental car to discover the area, unless some of you fine folks who know the area have a better idea. Also, any recommendations on what to do in MT? Any significant aviation related activities? Any good BBQ joints I can’t miss while there?
If you're into ATC kinda stuff, ask the Tower if you can come up for a visit when you get there. It's one of the last two remaining Non Radar Approach Control Towers in the US. You might find it interesting if you are IR. And they will probably know where the good BBQ is.

Last edited:
I have an office in Helena and suggest looking at some of the museums and historic areas. If you can, I suggest going to Glacier National Park in the NW corner of the state. Great views! My uncle lived in Columbia Falls for decades and it was a must do when visiting. You can land at the Whitefish airport 58S if you are ok with grass or Glacier International KGPI would be a good choice.

I know, not exactly what you were asking but I love the area.

I live and fly out of Great Falls. Definitely take a drive up (down?) I-15 from Helena north to the Gates of the Mountains (15 min N of HLN). Take the boat tour if it’s still happening. You’ll be able to see the site of the 1949 Mann Gulch fire tragedy, and other area rich in Lewis & Clark history. Drive south of Helena, and just north of Butte you’ll see Our Lady of the Rockies (or fly over it). Fortunately we haven’t had too many fires this summer, and the smoke is very light.

If you're into ATC kinda stuff, ask the Tower if you can come up for a visit when you get there. It's one of the last two remaining Non Radar Approach Control Towers in the US. You might find it interesting if you are IR. And they will probably know where the good BBQ is.
We flew into/out of Helena this past June. It was so odd to contact Approach a ways out: they told me to report 5NM from the field but never offered a squawk. It took me a bit to realize they didn’t have radar and were depending on position reports. How do they track us - bottle caps on a map or something? It was really an awkward feeling.

Departing IFR the next day, they asked me to report reaching a certain point or a certain altitude. Because I was so slow (and the headwinds were ferocious) they kept pinging me till I reached one or the other. Again, it was such an odd experience.

The area looks beautiful and I want to go back. The weather was a mess (icing risk in June) but it was a great IFR experience.

I really would like to see how they track traffic!

BTW: who’s the other one?

We flew into/out of Helena this past June. It was so odd to contact Approach a ways out: they told me to report 5NM from the field but never offered a squawk. It took me a bit to realize they didn’t have radar and were depending on position reports. How do they track us - bottle caps on a map or something? It was really an awkward feeling.

Departing IFR the next day, they asked me to report reaching a certain point or a certain altitude. Because I was so slow (and the headwinds were ferocious) they kept pinging me till I reached one or the other. Again, it was such an odd experience.

The area looks beautiful and I want to go back. The weather was a mess (icing risk in June) but it was a great IFR experience.

I really would like to see how they track traffic!

BTW: who’s the other one?
They use Strips and write control instructions and those reports you were talking about on them. They keep a ‘picture’ of where the planes are in their head. Twin Falls Idaho KTWF is the other one. Unless it’s changed fairly recently.

upload_2022-8-28_5-19-25.jpeg

Last edited:
Heading out on Wednesday. I’m seeing a few fires around the area. Any locals know how the smoke is right now? I’m hoping for an early morning flight to beat the heat.

Heading out on Wednesday. I’m seeing a few fires around the area. Any locals know how the smoke is right now? I’m hoping for an early morning flight to beat the heat.
This morning is the worst I’ve seen it here in GTF this season. 5-10 sm vis. It’s still not as bad as it has been in the past few years. I like to use the NOAA HRRR smoke forecast model… https://hwp-viz.gsd.esrl.noaa.gov/smoke/index.html#

KHLN has been in the soup all morning it seems. Obviously no telling how it'll be on Wednesday but I don't like the looks of it right now. Keeping an eye on it until departure I guess.

Ended up being pretty uneventful today. Visibility was around 10 miles the whole flight and very smooth despite turbulence and wind shear in the forecast. The only negative was the winds aloft were right on the nose and pretty strong. I averaged like 80 knots ground speed.

Back