Heh...for you Mac enthusiasists...

Having worked in mainframe (large IBM -formerly theaterscale now minibar sized - machines), I have had to deal with licensed software codes. While I agree and understand why the vendors do this (except in APPLE's case; which is to secure its market share), I really dislike it. IBM used to distribute all the code for the operating sysytems which allowed those of us capable of such things to write code that advanced the software and provided added function. Now it's all object only.
Licensing is based on system serial numbers which even IBM had to cobble yet another solution because of other advances in software (similar to VMware for PCs). Sometimes the process is simple, sometimes it's pure hell.
It is this attitude that gives rise to LINUX. Not a good solution for those with lots of 'other' software. Maybe if the operating system companies realized their decline is based on cost, licensing, and compatability, they might go open source.
APPLE and MICROSOFT need to check their attitude at the door. If they have the premiere OS, make it run naturally everywhere (like LINUX).

Brian Austin said:
Didn't think it would take too long but this surprised me:

http://wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,68501,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_1

So much for the "magic chip".

Interesting theory they have at the end of the article too.

I knew some folks would hack it, there have been Mac-on-PC hacks around for quite a while. Having things run on the same architecture just makes it a LOT easier.

Of course, even if they licensed OS X, I'd probably buy Apple hardware anyway. It's as well-designed as the OS is, and why would you want to buy the best software and run it on mediocre hardware? (ie a $300 machine.) I like my wicked-cool Aluminum laptop with backlit keyboard. I just wish I'd had a chance to play with all the cool features by now. Sooner or later...

flyingcheesehead said:
Interesting theory they have at the end of the article too.

I knew some folks would hack it, there have been Mac-on-PC hacks around for quite a while. Having things run on the same architecture just makes it a LOT easier.

Of course, even if they licensed OS X, I'd probably buy Apple hardware anyway. It's as well-designed as the OS is, and why would you want to buy the best software and run it on mediocre hardware? (ie a $300 machine.) I like my wicked-cool Aluminum laptop with backlit keyboard. I just wish I'd had a chance to play with all the cool features by now. Sooner or later...
I'd bet that pretty soon after the Intel Apples start hitting the market, someone will figure out that they're buying OEM Intel boards or something and adding their "magic" chip. I'll bet a clone of the motherboard is out within six months.

Cases, keyboards, etc. are all easily duplicated. I actually prefer magnesium cases as they're less prone to scratches. Backlit keyboard is kinda interesting but I don't really look at the keys enough to need it. ;)

Well, some of the early Apples were cloned... (Apple II for example)....

It's not like a lack of precedent.

Hope they do better with OS sales than Palm did.

Brian Austin said:
Cases, keyboards, etc. are all easily duplicated.

Yeah, but you've gotta buy them in the first day or two before Steve sics Apple Legal on 'em. (Nice try eMachines, thanks for playing...)

I actually prefer magnesium cases as they're less prone to scratches. Backlit keyboard is kinda interesting but I don't really look at the keys enough to need it. ;)

Heh... I can type letters by touch just fine. Numbers I've never been accurate enough on. The rest, forget it. I just happen to use my computer in a dark environment a lot, and now I don't have to tilt my screen forward to light up my keyboard. :)

The Titanium case was cool when it came out, but I like the aluminum one better so far. I'm certainly trying to baby it as much as possible though.

One feature I have started using: Two fingers on the trackpad makes it a scroll-pad. Very cool.

flyingcheesehead said:
Yeah, but you've gotta buy them in the first day or two before Steve sics Apple Legal on 'em. (Nice try eMachines, thanks for playing...)
Doesn't work if the technology is the same, though. Unless something proprietary is required for the OS to work (which this story just proved isn't true) is included on the motherboard, Apple has no claim.

Apple's move to Intel changes all kinds of things, including Apple accessories. It's going to be very interesting how they deal with this.

Brian Austin said:
Doesn't work if the technology is the same, though. Unless something proprietary is required for the OS to work (which this story just proved isn't true) is included on the motherboard, Apple has no claim.

My comment was with respect to case design. eMachines came out with a PC that looked almost identical to the original iMac, and Apple Legal put the smack down on 'em.

As for the OS/Motherboard thing, I think Apple will probably prevail on that count as well, but I don't think there's a legal precedent one way or the other yet. I'm sure there will be soon!

If Apple could get OS X to run consistently well on the variety of hardware that Windows runs on, you never know... They might be able to make a killing. Of course, I'd venture that M$ would probably stop making a Mac OS X version of Office if Apple went after that market. :mad:

Apple's move to Intel changes all kinds of things, including Apple accessories. It's going to be very interesting how they deal with this.

How does it change accessories? Everyone's pretty well standardized on USB and FireWire, all they need to do to support Mac OS is write a driver (if InputSprockets doesn't work with it already). Same as it's been since about 1998.

flyingcheesehead said:
How does it change accessories? Everyone's pretty well standardized on USB and FireWire, all they need to do to support Mac OS is write a driver (if InputSprockets doesn't work with it already). Same as it's been since about 1998.
Video cards and other internal PC stuff is what I was thinking of more than anything. Price difference between a high end Mac card and equivalent PC card on ATI's site is about $100 more for Mac, probably due to volume more than anything.

flyingcheesehead said:
My comment was with respect to case design. eMachines came out with a PC that looked almost identical to the original iMac, and Apple Legal put the smack down on 'em.
Ah. Case design is more marketing and artwork than anything. Easily copyrightable. I could see that happening.

Back