Heavy rain and a thunderstorm...

Ice last Friday, and thunderstorms on Wednesday here in CLT. Its been hard to get a nice VFR day around here lately.

Fog yesterday here was so thick that not a single aircraft got down at PIA after 10AM. VV100, RVR 1600. 58F today, wind howling out of the south. Local Flood Alert.

We know what's coming tomorrow....

Yep. My Weather Channel app pinged me during the night about a flood warning in my area. Around my house, we usually have excellent drainage, but I think the ground is still somewhat frozen, so the water is not draining.

On Saturday, there were trucks parked on the lakes for the ice fishermen.

Today's high is 60! (With heavy rain/thunderstorms).

Wednesday's high is 33, with rain/snow likely.

Thursday's high is 11, and the low will be -2.

Friday's high is 10.

I love Wisconsin!

Welcome to the era of climate change.

Oh, gawd....here we go again.

Just read an article that we're having some of the most extreme weather since....since....since 1816!! Hmmm....I wonder what went wacky in 1816?

Man has lived in the "erra of climate change" as long as he has walked the earth. Welcome to life on planet earth!

at least the temperature was above freezing - thundersnow in that environment could drop 5,8, 12, 18 inches in less than a half hour . . .

This is normal for Wisconsin. Every January temps spike, then come crashing down. We had tornadoes in January a few years ago.

Nice bow echo forming/dissipating? around Rockford.

50* tomorrow and then low-teens on the weekend. I <3 New England winters (hint: it's not a heart).

Last edited:
They're not melting now, either...at least not the southern one:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/22/forget-the-melting-arctic_n_1906554.html

Not sure there was detail accounting of them back in 1816. They definitely had to shrink during the MWP.

But we've debated this before. You believe. Most of us don't. Neither of us can change it.

I'm not going to debate global warming here but if you quote an article to make your point you might want to read the whole entire article and not just the first paragraph.

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/...e-in-antarctica-is-growing-skeptics-say-15032

This is normal for Wisconsin. Every January temps spike, then come crashing down. We had tornadoes in January a few years ago.

Yeah, we did have tornaodoes in 2008. It doesn't make it "normal."
Just like the 80-degree temps in March of last year were not "normal."

Roads were flooded on the way to work today due to snow melt + rain.

I'm not going to debate global warming here but if you quote an article to make your point you might want to read the whole entire article and not just the first paragraph.

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/...e-in-antarctica-is-growing-skeptics-say-15032

I figured starting with a Leftist pub, even with their qualifiers, was as good a place to start as any. But there are so many it's hard to choose:
http://blogs.physicstoday.org/newspicks/2012/11/antarctic-ice-growing-as-arctic-ice-shrinks/

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517035,00.html

But we won't resolve this issue here. It's just always humorous when weather events are immediately seized upon by the warming alarmists as evidence of climate change...but unseasonably cold snaps are always dismissed as "just weather."

"Normal" based on whose time scale? Decades? Centuries? Millennia? We have a tendency to figure that which we've known is "normal" when in reality we just happen to experience a very, very tiny range of time and declare it so.

"Normal" based on whose time scale? Decades? Centuries? Millennia? We have a tendency to figure that which we've known is "normal" when in reality we just happen to experience a very, very tiny range of time and declare it so.

Exactly. The post I responded to seemed to indicate thunderstorms and tornadoes are typical of January weather in Wisconsin, using that definition of normal:

We can always shift to a big-picture macro perspective when discussing climatological history, but I think most folks use the word normal to describe the average weather patterns observed in their lifetime, perhaps extending back a couple generations based on oral history.

I'm not naive enough to state that climate shifts have never occurred in the past. The evidence for cooling and warming patterns is there. But I don't really want to start a climate change thread. I just wanted to respond to Josh's comment about this type of weather being part of the usual trend for Wisconsin, because it's not. It is atypical for January. C'mon, you're in Minnesota, you can vouch for that! :)

Exactly. The post I responded to seemed to indicate thunderstorms and tornadoes are typical of January weather in Wisconsin, using that definition of normal:

We can always shift to a big-picture macro perspective when discussing climatological history, but I think most folks use the word normal to describe the average weather patterns observed in their lifetime, perhaps extending back a couple generations based on oral history.

I'm not naive enough to state that climate shifts have never occurred in the past. The evidence for cooling and warming patterns is there. But I don't really want to start a climate change thread. I just wanted to respond to Josh's comment about this type of weather being part of the usual trend for Wisconsin, because it's not. It is atypical for January. C'mon, you're in Minnesota, you can vouch for that! :)
The 1967 "Super Storm" in Chicago dropped 23 inches of snow on the city in January. Two days earlier, the temperatures hit 65 degrees. It is not that unusual in the Midwest.

High today in Madison, 57: high Friday 6.

tornados aren't normal, didn't say they were. I was talking about the temperature. There is always a period in January where temps get above freezing and most of the snow melts.

Check out the squall line passing through DFW right now. This is a Jan. storm, it's pounding my hangar right now.

Oh, gawd....here we go again.

Just read an article that we're having some of the most extreme weather since....since....since 1816!! Hmmm....I wonder what went wacky in 1816?

Man has lived in the "erra of climate change" as long as he has walked the earth. Welcome to life on planet earth!
:yeahthat:

C'mon, you're in Minnesota, you can vouch for that! :)

Being from Minnesota, I know there is no such thing as "normal"! We've had two feet of snow on Halloween one year and I've wakeboarded on my lake in November another! We have no "normal"! :D

Being from Minnesota, I know there is no such thing as "normal"! We've had two feet of snow on Halloween one year and I've wakeboarded on my lake in November another! We have no "normal"! :D

:D

I remember getting snow in May when I was a kid.

We had snow in VA on last Friday, Wednesday we're supposed to get thunderstorms and 70 degrees. I had the roof off on my car today, but yesterday the pond at work was still frozen over. :dunno:

Last Friday I had a trip to San Antonio from Wisconsin, and debated going commair or private plane. It was forecast snow, cold (15 degrees), and icing for the first third of the trip. I departed Wisconsin into low ceilings and ice, broke out at 4000 and never saw the ground until 200 feet above ILS mins at my gas stop in Arkansas. Departed again, and navigated DFW (great controllers), and landed in San Antonio to sun and 78. Sweating, and shedding layers.

Departed two days ago from SAT, looking at the frontal line extending from Wisconsin to Texas, with forecast thunderstorms and even a few tornadoes enroute. Ended up deviating east over Tenessee, but landed at my planned fuel stop in MO. Tail winds were 60k, and again IMC all the way from entering the clouds at around 1000 over SAT until just being able to land in VMC in MO.

Final leg had it all- icing in the clouds, big thunderstorms just west of the route with the Stormscope lighting up, small cells showing up on the onboard radar, and IMC all the way with an approach at the end.

Not many trips have it all, but this one had ice, thunderstorm avoidance, class bravo comms, and multiple approaches. No way this trip could have been done without an IR, nexrad, and a good autopilot. A great experience.

The weather patterns looked really complex, and it seems like it is a little early in the year to see this- I thought this complexity occurred more in the early springtime?

Last Friday I had a trip to San Antonio from Wisconsin, and debated going commair or private plane. It was forecast snow, cold (15 degrees), and icing for the first third of the trip. I departed Wisconsin into low ceilings and ice, broke out at 4000 and never saw the ground until 200 feet above ILS mins at my gas stop in Arkansas. Departed again, and navigated DFW (great controllers), and landed in San Antonio to sun and 78. Sweating, and shedding layers.

Departed two days ago from SAT, looking at the frontal line extending from Wisconsin to Texas, with forecast thunderstorms and even a few tornadoes enroute. Ended up deviating east over Tenessee, but landed at my planned fuel stop in MO. Tail winds were 60k, and again IMC all the way from entering the clouds at around 1000 over SAT until just being able to land in VMC in MO.

Final leg had it all- icing in the clouds, big thunderstorms just west of the route with the Stormscope lighting up, small cells showing up on the onboard radar, and IMC all the way with an approach at the end.

Not many trips have it all, but this one had ice, thunderstorm avoidance, class bravo comms, and multiple approaches. No way this trip could have been done without an IR, nexrad, and a good autopilot. A great experience.

The weather patterns looked really complex, and it seems like it is a little early in the year to see this- I thought this complexity occurred more in the early springtime?

After a trip like that I need a nap.

I was a little surprised yesterday by the weather. It was a spring time pattern for sure.

Good stuff.

Back