Heat wave a product of Global Warming?

Anthony

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Anthony
Its HOT. 105 here in Denver yesterday, tieing a 127 year old record. 103 forecast for today.

OK everyone, stop driving, flying, using electricity as that is largely generated by coal or natural gas. Both fossil fuels that are CAUSING this heat. I can't explain why it was 105F 127 years ago, but the 105F yesterday was caused by us!

Sign Kyoto now!

Oh yeah, the Ice Age....

Anthony said:
I can't explain why it was 105F 127 years ago, but the 105F yesterday was caused by us!
Simple. The thermometers 127 years ago were inaccurate. It was only 103 then.

I think you brought it with you from the East Coase. Didn't we set records last year too? :)

Anthony said:
Its HOT. 105 here in Denver yesterday, tieing a 127 year old record. 103 forecast for today.

OK everyone, stop driving, flying, using electricity as that is largely generated by coal or natural gas. Both fossil fuels that are CAUSING this heat. I can't explain why it was 105F 127 years ago, but the 105F yesterday was caused by us!
QUOTE]

I don't know the official high in COS yesterday but my home thermometer which is usually fairly accurate showed 101.6F for the high.

I think the biggest heating issue is whacking all the trees down and replacing the dirt under them with heat absorbing/reflecting concrete and brick walls.

Hmmm... Airports are often where official thermometers are located. So now all the airports are surrounded by heat retaining reduced humidity concrete cities. Even though the thermometers are in the grass areas where they've always been, the surrounding terrain has ramped it's baseline temps up 10-30+F. The thermometers will still get the moving hot air from the city and indicate higher than if the city was farmland as it was 20-50 years ago. We are also paving over every square inch of the planet we can get the bulldozers and concrete trucks to. Maybe that's where we're getting a substantial part of our immediate global warming indications. We're changing the conditions of the standard measurement by building an oven around the thermometers. While there is extremely likely an actual human induced long term greenhouse effect being created beyond natural planetary trends, methinks the immediate data is getting skewed a bit...

I'm moving north.

Hey Anthony: It was in the mid to high 90s here in Philly ( back home) 95-97 F for the past five days Sat, Sun, Mon and Tue were literally like southern Florida in August. The humidity was the WORST I have seen or felt in Philly. ( And you of all people know thats got to be bad). went to the Phills game and it was like watching baseball in a sauna at least they won before being clobbered by the Dogers yesterday. Any way yesterday, Wed ,guess what. Temps stayed very high but humidity went away. We actually had a DRY heat here heh heh heh. Felt like I was back in Scottsdale. Seriously. You folks in the SW may compalin but give a northeasterner dry heat and he'll take it any day. Then again My BBQ emits a dry heat and ya don't see me sticking my hand in it.

Tony

No credible climatologist would suggest a temporary heat wave is the direct result of global warming. Although I have heard some conservative commentators say a cold spell is proof it doesn't exist. I emphasize the word credible. I have know doubt you can google the subject and find lots of hacks to say almost anything.

One needs to look at water temperatures, polar ice caps and long term temperature trends, especially those post and prior industrial revolution. Accumulated water vapor is another piece of data getting a lot of attention lately.

Not certain what "Oh yeah the ice age" is suppose to prove. I mean, Oh Yeah, dramatic temperature increase trends of the last 100 years preceded by 5000 years of relatively small increases and decreases. So there :rofl:

further irony to yesterday's high (and today's as well, according to the forecast) ... yesterday's official temp of 105° was at DIA which is cooler than downtown, or the old Stapleton, where the official temps used to be taken. The news guy said it was 109° downtown yesterday - more of the same today. Crap!!! I'm moving to Whitehorse or Skagway!

Edit1:and then I go and forget that VB doesn't do html ... so translate &deg above to the cute little superscript circle "degrees" symbol...
Edit2:but if you hit ALT (keypad 022) in notepad and paste it here - you get the ° symbol!!! :yes:

Last edited:
AdamZ said:
The humidity was the WORST I have seen or felt in Philly. ( And you of all people know thats got to be bad). Seriously. You folks in the SW may compalin but give a northeasterner dry heat and he'll take it any day. Then again My BBQ emits a dry heat and ya don't see me sticking my hand in it.

Don't remind me. We were back last weekend for a wedding. Whirllwind trip as I had to get back here for work. It was literally my first experience with humidity in one year and the wedding ceremony was outside! Fortunately the reception was inside. You could actually see the air, like a giant fog had rolled in only it never rolled out. Yuck! The bride and groom had to pick THAT weekend to get married. Of all the noive. :)

P.S. Yes, but its a dry heat, is actually true as you say. 105F here ain't close to 90 and humid back home. If feels much cooler, but I can't imagine what the people in Phoenix are doing. Now that is hot.

ejensen said:
I think you brought it with you from the East Coase. Didn't we set records last year too? :)

Must be due to flying the Tiger our here and all the pollution it spews. :)

The paper said that it was 117 in Las Vegas Tuesday, setting a new record. Then temperatures dipped below the 115-degree mark Wednesday for the first time in five days. :hairraise: Yikes! 5 days over 115?

I wonder how long it would take Vegas to evacuate should they have a city-wide blackout.

-Skip

fgcason said:
Hmmm... Airports are often where official thermometers are located. So now all the airports are surrounded by heat retaining reduced humidity concrete cities. **snip** methinks the immediate data is getting skewed a bit...

And you would be right, too, although meteorologists claim to be adjusting for this effect. Cities create their own little microclimates, too.

Judy

Anthony said:

Sign Kyoto now!

Oh yeah, the Ice Age....
I dunno, Anthony. I'll bet the real culprit is hot air emitted by politicians. Get rid of the pols and watch the temps plummet!

When I got in my car yesterday the digital rearviewmirror thermometer said 139F. I had to study it a while to figure out what it was telling me. Or maybe the heat had cooked my perception neurons.
Did the heat shut down the airlines in Denver?

judypilot said:
And you would be right, too, although meteorologists claim to be adjusting for this effect. Cities create their own little microclimates, too.

I noticed that watching weather buildup on radar and satellite near big cities in the summer. A little buildup across the area, some thunderstorms start in the area then in mid afternoon BOOM, a whopping huge level 4-5 storm explodes over and downwind of the city real quick. The surrounding areas generally remain level 1-2 storms. I've seen it happen more than once.

Let'sgoflying! said:
When I got in my car yesterday the digital rearviewmirror thermometer said 139F. I had to study it a while to figure out what it was telling me. Or maybe the heat had cooked my perception neurons.
Did the heat shut down the airlines in Denver?

The news last night said a few commuters had to cancel going over the hill.

Back