Heat shield for engine cowling

blueskyMD

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bigfoot297
I just got my top cowling painted. It had lots of paint peeling off mostly because of heat damage . Now since it looks nice again I want to protect it from heat by using some kind of heat shield on the under surface of cowling. What works good for this ? Can I do it myself or I need A&P for this ?
Also there is lots of oily stuff on the underside of cowling what the best way to clean the surface before applying heat shield ?

What engine and plane are we talking about? Make sure the engine is operating within temp parameters. Is there an engine monitor tracking all CHT's or just one?

Import to consider how much flex the cowling suffers from frequent removal and replacement. That flex wreaks havoc on the paint. This a big reason by Cowls are painted more frequently then the remainder of the plane.

I'd fix the problem of excessive heat rather than curing a symptom. Heat reflective sheets can be adhered to the interior of the cowl with special hi-temp adhesive. You will need an IA to provide the necessary 337 paperwork.

Profile pic looks like a Turbo Lance?
Our cowling gets nice and hot too. All the exhaust is on the top of the TIO-540-S1AD.

I was told the upper cowl-space temperature skyrockets upon shutdown - whereas airborne it is nice and cool due to airflow.
Makes sense; much of the hot start problem is due to this.
I know a lot of people open the oil filler door as soon as they get out to vent that hot air, not sure if you have one, or if it would help your problem or not.

I see this sort of stuff in ASSCo's catalog; concerns me what might happen if it falls off due to poor adhesive and that airflow - would it block your intake? Would it get on an exhaust pipe and start a fire? Maybe it would just block cylinder cooling air.

I see this sort of stuff in ASSCo's catalog; concerns me what might happen if it falls off due to poor adhesive and that airflow - would it block your intake? Would it get on an exhaust pipe and start a fire? Maybe it would just block cylinder cooling air.
It would block the cooling air.

Got a door for oil dip stick? Open it immediately after you land.

Yup! My fiberglass top cowl piece get smoking hot on shutdown. I just pop the dip stick access panel off (no hinge) and it cools down pretty quick. Its like taking the lid off a steaming pot.

Its a NA PA32 Lance not turbo.
I have JPI 730 6 cylinder monitoring and I am very careful with temperatures. baffles seems to be in good shape as I am not having any trouble keeping temperatures down.
Interesting to know that cowl heats up the most after shutdown . Makes sense as there is no airflow , engine is really hot and warm air is rising.

Back