Heart palpitations and Basic Med.

Q

Question

About a week ago just before leaving on vacation I started having some palpitations. Off and on for about 20 minutes then it stopped. Very hot day working on my feet outside all day. I thought possibly I may have gotten dehydrated. Felt like I was skipping a beat but when I listened with a stethoscope was actually an extra premature beat. Had them off an on since. Usually singles but at least two times maybe 20-30 in hour or two. Today maybe one or two all day so far. No dizziness, no pain anywhere just weird fluttery feeling.

Anyway went to the doctor today EKG was fine BP was fine. Did blood test he wants me to get set up with 24hr holter monitor and echocardiogram just to be sure which I will do.

As far as BasicMed goes assuming these are just PVCs (internet self diagnosis and Dad had them) not something more insidious I assume I am good to go without further paperwork?

I assume for flying LSA I am still good either way.

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/sportpilots/response4/
Federal Air Surgeon:
"You should consult your private physician to determine whether you have a medical deficiency that would interfere with the safe performance of sport piloting duties."

Geoffrey Thorpe:
"If you have a medical deficiency that would interfere with the safe performance of sport piloting duties, you sure as hell don't belong behind the wheel of a car."

Ground yourself until the Holter has been interpreted. You are not "good either way."

Bb

Ground yourself until the Holter has been interpreted. You are not "good either way."

Bb

I agree I need to resolve any health issues that might effect flying but what I meant by good either way is I don't need additional paperwork from the FAA for LSA once resolved.

My doc did a blood test, I did the echo yesterday and the Holter monitor got turned in this morning. Hoping to have some information by the middle of this coming week. The waiting sucks additional stress about how this could effect flying probably doesn't help with PVCs. :)

Although I had several I think (sometimes hard to tell) with the monitor on. Today I only felt one or two all day. Although I am sure depending on what I am doing I may not feel them. I am also super sensitive to things now so any muscle twinges could be misinterpreted as palpitations. The total number I have been noticing seems to be getting fewer. I am still wondering if it was brought on by an electrolyte, vitamin or other mineral deficiency and may resolve itself as my body's balance gets back on track. I assume blood test should tell me about magnesium, calcium and potassium levels also if there is any thyroid issue. These seem to be factors from what I have read.

Any other thoughts or information would be appreciated.

The "full deck" would be completed by a stress treadmill to heart rate = 90% of (220-YourAge).
If the Holter is benign maybe you won't need that but eth real concern is ischemia in a middle aged male manifest as VPCs.....

Good news, got a call from the doctors office today all is well. Not sure what triggered them but they are greatly reduced in number a week later less than a handful a day that I notice.

About a week ago just before leaving on vacation I started having some palpitations. Off and on for about 20 minutes then it stopped. Very hot day working on my feet outside all day. I thought possibly I may have gotten dehydrated. Felt like I was skipping a beat but when I listened with a stethoscope was actually an extra premature beat. Had them off an on since. Usually singles but at least two times maybe 20-30 in hour or two. Today maybe one or two all day so far. No dizziness, no pain anywhere just weird fluttery feeling.

Anyway went to the doctor today EKG was fine BP was fine. Did blood test he wants me to get set up with 24hr holter monitor and echocardiogram just to be sure which I will do.

As far as BasicMed goes assuming these are just PVCs (internet self diagnosis and Dad had them) not something more insidious I assume I am good to go without further paperwork?

Hi.
Have your doc check / do a Thyroid panel. There could be many reasons why, including dehydration.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back