Heart of the West Engines

sferguson524

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FormerSocalFlyer
Any PIREPS on them? Debonair I fly is about due for an OH

No pirep, just rumor that they do just exactly what they advertise. I've spent many years working with folks in Wyoming. You might get a lot of "we know how things have to be done" attitude. Chances are they will back that attitude up with performance.

Register on beechtalk. Do a search. Experience with the company and it's proprietor seems to be variable.

Oh, and review court records in the different jurisdictions where this gentleman has done business throughout the years.

Register on beechtalk. Do a search. Experience with the company and it's proprietor seems to be variable.

Oh, and review court records in the different jurisdictions where this gentleman has done business throughout the years.

And under other company names, just so it’s clear why you mentioned to search by name.

Beechtalk doesn’t allow people to read anything on their web sever unless subscribed, but they do allow Google to index and cache their site and you can read most posts or partial posts just by doing a Google search on the topic.

Always thought that was kinda funny. You can even use the modifiers for the Google search to ONLY search beechtalk if you like. Google is all helpful like that. LOL.

The guy running this place has been in business under other shop names. We had a club 182 engine done at one. Took longer than quoted, tach cable came off motor on flight home over mountains (the amount of oil spewing out when we made a precautionary landing was visually stunning although less than a quart) along with a few other small issues. Not sure if we got re-imbursed for our problems or not. Later we found a lien on our aircraft even though he was paid in full. I'm no longer with that club but my understanding is long term the motor was ok.

If you search the guys name you can probably find more info online about his previous shops. The price is hard to pass up.

Heart of Texas Aircraft engines might be good place to start.

This is great advice all. Will look for other shops with better reviews

Anyone use Western Skyways? They seems impressive since they both dynamically and statically balance the engines. I think they flow match heads too. I got a quote with a 3 year 1500 hr warranty.

Just curious is anyone has experience with them.

Anyone use Western Skyways? They seems impressive since they both dynamically and statically balance the engines. I think they flow match heads too. I got a quote with a 3 year 1500 hr warranty.

A long thread on this forum some years ago. Iirc the core overhaul had no problems but every accessory provided by Kelly Aerospace turned to **** within a year.

We got a quote for a WS reman when we overhauled but ended up going with a factory reman instead. From what I could find at the time most WS customers were happy with the product. They also offer a decent warranty period.

Last edited:

There’s a number of people who have used them here locally who are also on PoA. They’ll probably pipe up. One had an iffy experience, others have had good ones.

A couple other local owners who aren’t on PoA have had good experiences with asterisks beside them. The general “feel” I get, and it may be unfair with such a low number of folks I know who’ve used them, is that things generally go well, but they’ll kinda argue with you if you do run into issues.

As an owner, I don’t get a warm fuzzy from that, and at least one other owner I know who needs the aircraft for business didn’t like it.

He decided not to use them a second time on a different aircraft and went with a crate engine from the manufacturer and an install done by a well respected busy shop on his airport.

But to be fair to them, they’ve also corrected everything that any other owner I’ve talked to says they had trouble with, other than one owner. And I’m only getting one side of that story, so an entire salt lick of salt is likely recommended, not just a grain of it. :)

Honestly I don’t think there’s many shops you can’t find at least one complainer for. It’s like digging through Amazon reviews for an average feel.

And a lot of owners aren’t as picky about dispatch rate right after major work done on their airplane. They expect a few things to go weird. Or they just know they’re prone to that. (Kinda like I’m a freaking weather magnet when it comes to checkrides. I could suck in clouds or winds from three states away just by scheduling a checkride and it’s been that way my whole life. Ha.)

One way to look at these shops is to see if you can find reviews of what it was like to work there on employment sites. It adds more data to your decision tree. Obviously some mechanics leave and are disgruntled so there’s always one of those in that type of review also.

Western Skyways comes out of those reviews as a busy place that hires a lot of mechanics who don’t always want to live in the boonies forever. The mechanics describe it as a very “assembly line” sort of place and you see that in photos too. Which is good. And bad. If the mechanic who works on your engine is the one who doesn’t really want to be there... and is just stuck in an engine bay room all day assembling motors, you may have problems. If it’s a mechanic who likes the repetition and living out there, great.

The prices are good because it’s a mini-factory in the end. If you go in knowing it’s a mini-factory and sometimes factories will balk a little at things that’ll upset the schedule if you have to bring them back, I think that’s a reasonable way to look at Western. Your mileage may vary.

Western Skyways overhauled a fuel pump for me, was intermittent, finally flew there, they pulled it off and it was bad (60 hours), they would not repair for free, or offer any monetary consideration. I live in Co, and will never use them again.

A sincere thank you Nate for taking the time and share what you've heard and thoughts. My only two data points on them was their responsiveness and professional interaction during the quote process and one of the few real quality brokers in the area here uses them regularly with good feedback. I think the 3 year transferable warranty is good for his business.

Western Skyways overhauled a fuel pump for me, was intermittent, finally flew there, they pulled it off and it was bad (60 hours), they would not repair for free, or offer any monetary consideration. I live in Co, and will never use them again.

I assume they O/H'd the pump during the engine O/H. Curious what warranty plan did you receive with engine?

There’s a number of people who have used them here locally who are also on PoA. They’ll probably pipe up. One had an iffy experience, others have had good ones.

A couple other local owners who aren’t on PoA have had good experiences with asterisks beside them. The general “feel” I get, and it may be unfair with such a low number of folks I know who’ve used them, is that things generally go well, but they’ll kinda argue with you if you do run into issues.

As an owner, I don’t get a warm fuzzy from that, and at least one other owner I know who needs the aircraft for business didn’t like it.

He decided not to use them a second time on a different aircraft and went with a crate engine from the manufacturer and an install done by a well respected busy shop on his airport.

But to be fair to them, they’ve also corrected everything that any other owner I’ve talked to says they had trouble with, other than one owner. And I’m only getting one side of that story, so an entire salt lick of salt is likely recommended, not just a grain of it. :)

Honestly I don’t think there’s many shops you can’t find at least one complainer for. It’s like digging through Amazon reviews for an average feel.

And a lot of owners aren’t as picky about dispatch rate right after major work done on their airplane. They expect a few things to go weird. Or they just know they’re prone to that. (Kinda like I’m a freaking weather magnet when it comes to checkrides. I could suck in clouds or winds from three states away just by scheduling a checkride and it’s been that way my whole life. Ha.)

One way to look at these shops is to see if you can find reviews of what it was like to work there on employment sites. It adds more data to your decision tree. Obviously some mechanics leave and are disgruntled so there’s always one of those in that type of review also.

Western Skyways comes out of those reviews as a busy place that hires a lot of mechanics who don’t always want to live in the boonies forever. The mechanics describe it as a very “assembly line” sort of place and you see that in photos too. Which is good. And bad. If the mechanic who works on your engine is the one who doesn’t really want to be there... and is just stuck in an engine bay room all day assembling motors, you may have problems. If it’s a mechanic who likes the repetition and living out there, great.

The prices are good because it’s a mini-factory in the end. If you go in knowing it’s a mini-factory and sometimes factories will balk a little at things that’ll upset the schedule if you have to bring them back, I think that’s a reasonable way to look at Western. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the well thought out reply. Turns out the engine isn't making metal, and has 2 cylinders that are 64/80. The rest are in the 70s. My suggestion was to replace the 2 cylinders.

Thanks for the well thought out reply. Turns out the engine isn't making metal, and has 2 cylinders that are 64/80. The rest are in the 70s. My suggestion was to replace the 2 cylinders.

A 64/80 compression check in and of itself may not be a problem. You're going to need more information before you make a good decision on what to do.

Assuming this is a Continental in the Debonair you referenced in the first post, has your mechanic followed the guidance the manufacturer has published to help determine cylinder health?

Back