Heart CT Scan

H

Heart Ache

If my CT scan of my aorta measures 4.2cm at the root and 3.4 cm at the ascending, and the cardiologist says we will check again in a year. Does this mean I don’t need to inform the AME during my class 3 physical?

If my CT scan of my aorta measures 4.2cm at the root and 3.4 cm at the ascending, and the cardiologist says we will check again in a year. Does this mean I don’t need to inform the AME during my class 3 physical?
Pinging Doctor Lou and Doctor Bruce for their input. @lbfjrmd @bbchien

You have to report the visit at next medical. >4.0 at any aortic location is a special issuance……

Even if you are, say, 6’10”?

Is it over 4 by echo or cta only (which I think is internal measurement) or something else?

thx

Even if you are, say, 6’10”?

Is it over 4 by echo or cta only (which I think is internal measurement) or something else?

Dr Chien is the authority on this. If he says it's SI territory, then I'd listen to him.

Recommend you connect with a knowledgeable AME for a consult prior to your next medical. You'll want to have all your paperwork and tests in order, recent, and submitted with your medical so you can get the SI as quickly as possible. You should still plan to be deferred.

Or, if you're not flying professionally and otherwise meet the requirements and restrictions, consider BasicMed which is an online course plus an exam with your doctor.

In
Also, What was your Agatson score? FAA policy has changed on this.....
Interestingly... "We no longer believe in the Agatson score"

AT THE ESC CONGRESS 2015

LONDON -- Coronary artery calcium as assessed by CT scan, widely considered the best marker of cardiovascular risk, just got significantly better, according to Dr. Michael H. Criqui.

The standard measure of coronary artery calcium (CAC) has been the Agatson score, which evaluates plaque calcium volume. But new evidence from the large, multicenter, prospective observational Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA) demonstrates that plaque calcium density is independently and inversely associated with both coronary heart disease and stroke risk. In other words, greater calcium density is protective against cardiovascular disease and counteracts the increased risk associated with greater calcium volume, he said at the annual congress of the European Society of Cardiology.

"We no longer believe in the Agatson score. We took a look at it and found out that at any given level of plaque calcium volume, a higher density score is protective. So when we look at our scans now, we no longer use the Agatson. We take the volume, then measure density separately, and we calculate a score that's based on both," explained Dr. Criqui, professor and chief of the division of preventive medicine at the University of California, San Diego.

Session moderator Dr. Sidney C. Smith Jr. said he was favorably impressed by the new analysis.

"Somehow we need to get this information in front of the guideline committees for the ESC, ACC [American College of Cardiology], and AHA [American Heart Association], because this is very interesting," said Dr. Smith, professor of medicine at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back