Heard on 121.5 Today

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Today Saturday March 11 I was SIC in the Lance for the second leg of an Angel Flight from KLOM (Wings Field -PA) to KLYH ( Lynchburg VA) Our Paxs a young lady and her mom from Chattanooga TN were traveling home from treatment in Boston. In general nothing to much exciting was happening on Freq and we had a nice Smooooth flight at 6000. We had purposely filed west of the ADIZ and got an As Filed clearance but just south of EMI Patomac routed us thought the eastern half of the ADIZ and around to Richmond RIC and Flatrock ( FAK). Up till just about EMI we were using both radios to alternate between frequencys b/c we didn't have flip flop radios. Once Patomic gave us our amened clearance things got much calmer on the radio. ( I swear this is true) I said out loud to my pic friend, Ron Levy would kick my ass if I did'nt monitor guard now that things calmed down so of course I plug 121.5 into comm 2 and we monitored Guard.

Around 1:05 P.M. exactly 44nm Northeast of Flatrock (FAK) VOR I hear the following on Guard. " **43M calling guard. I immediatley hear go ahead aircraft calling Guard this is 22RL. Then I hear this is 43M need a radio check. I turn to my friend and say ut oh :eek: hes in for it Ron's gonna nail him. Then we hear 22RL say 43M state your position. 43M gives it and 22RL responds suggest you contact Patomac approach on 134.7 ( think that was the freq) and 43M again asks for a radio check and 22RL again suggests contact Patomacapproach. and 43M again asks for a radio check and 22RL again suggests in a FIRMER voice this is GUARD freq sugguest you contact Patomac approach on **** freq. I turn to my buddy and give him the HOLY CR@P look and start screaming its Ron, Its Ron. SO YA SEE YA JUST NEVER KNOW WHAT YOUR GONNA HEAR ON GUARD!! Wish I could have said Hi Ron hope you had a good flight

Ha! That's a great story, Adam! Thanks for sharing!
I sort of "ran into" an old CFI on a CTAF freq once - he had a quite distinctive voice ... more "small, small world" stuff

I don't think I would have had such patience with a maroon, xmitting on Guard. Good-Oh, Ron.

Bruce It was a little worse than I posted. Ron Posted the full exchance in response to my X-post on AOPA. I forgot the guy asked if He could Ident for some reason I didn't catch as I was talking to approach. Apparently he must have thought Ron was ATC b/c he said he was not sure if he was in the ADIZ and wanted to Ident so Ron could tell him if he was in the ADIZ. I could have sworn he asked to Ident for a Radio check. I know it makes no sense but I think thats what he said. ( Did he say that Ron?)
Although the guys situational awareness was lackinng perhaps we can take solice in the fact that He knew to be aware of the ADIZ unlike the Smoketown Two.

Adam:

Yesterday was certainly a great day to be in the air! We've made that trip to Lynchburg a few times as well, although it takes us a bit longer than you!

I usually do monitor 121.5 as well and I'm always amazed at the number of radio calls for ADIZ incursions! You would think that by now the pilot community would either know enough to stay out, or have the procedure correct to enter. I will admit though, that your story is the most unique.

Gary

AdamZ said:
Bruce It was a little worse than I posted. Ron Posted the full exchance in response to my X-post on AOPA. I forgot the guy asked if He could Ident for some reason I didn't catch as I was talking to approach. Apparently he must have thought Ron was ATC b/c he said he was not sure if he was in the ADIZ and wanted to Ident so Ron could tell him if he was in the ADIZ. I could have sworn he asked to Ident for a Radio check. I know it makes no sense but I think thats what he said. ( Did he say that Ron?)
I never heard "radio check," but the rest is accurate.

Although the guys situational awareness was lackinng perhaps we can take solice in the fact that He knew to be aware of the ADIZ unlike the Smoketown Two.
Amen, Brother Adam. And since I never heard the Air Force calling, I don't think he violated it.

Ron Levy said:
Amen, Brother Adam. And since I never heard the Air Force calling, I don't think he violated it.
Oh, C_ap. See, the enemy really is us. Hayden S. (the senior half of the Troy Martin duo) will be eligible for to win back his certificate this summer. Will it never end....even after the ADIZ is permanent. Sigh.

bbchien said:
Oh, C_ap. See, the enemy really is us. Hayden S. (the senior half of the Troy Martin duo) will be eligible for to win back his certificate this summer. Will it never end....even after the ADIZ is permanent. Sigh.
Well, if the powers that be see fit to allow the most serious transgressor to date to regain his airman's privleges I wonder just what war are we fighting?

That in no way implies that I condone pilot stupidity but the situation would be a non-issue if the ADIZ wasn't there. And it seems the authorities who would know are content with a simple hand slap. So, all that "building clearing pilot blundering" amounts to what?...

Richard said:
Well, if the powers that be see fit to allow the most serious transgressor to date to regain his airman's privleges I wonder just what war are we fighting?

That in no way implies that I condone pilot stupidity but the situation would be a non-issue if the ADIZ wasn't there. And it seems the authorities who would know are content with a simple hand slap. So, all that "building clearing pilot blundering" amounts to what?...

He may become eligible to try to regain his PPL but, it will be one hard row for him to hoe to actually get it signed off from any CFI/DPE I reckon.

Dave Krall CFII said:
He may become eligible to try to regain his PPL but, it will be one hard row for him to hoe to actually get it signed off from any CFI/DPE I reckon.

Unfortunetly the rules are written that when he meets the minumum requirements he can be signed off. Anyone not doing that would be remiss in their duties and subject to FAA and probably civil action.

smigaldi said:
Unfortunetly the rules are written that when he meets the minumum requirements he can be signed off.

Granted.

He will have a hard row to hoe...

smigaldi said:
Unfortunetly the rules are written that when he meets the minumum requirements he can be signed off. Anyone not doing that would be remiss in their duties and subject to FAA and probably civil action.
As a flight instructor, I can choose my customers, and I can't imagine any CFI wanting his signature in HJS's log book.

Ron Levy said:
As a flight instructor, I can choose my customers, and I can't imagine any CFI wanting his signature in HJS's log book.
Why not? Aren't you doing the same (exposing yourself to high risk) everytime you sign off a PPL? The difference is in this instance you have prior knowledge.

Or are you saying that perfect record keeping and doubling up on airspace and naviagation requirements is not enough to keep a CFI out of hot water?

AdamZ said:
Today Saturday March 11......
Speaking of 121.5

I cannot believe the stupidy out there. I went from Wilmington, NC to Long Island, NY on Sat & I twice heard pilots in no-no airspace.

The first was a guy that was being called by Potomic App on 121.5. "Airplane 10 miles southwest of whatever VOR at 2,600 ft on a heading of 260, you are entering the ADIZ turn around & bla bla bla..." Then a 1/2 hr later I was on Atlantic City App & heard a guy asking for FF. He stated his position as over ACY at 4,500 ft. App came back & gave he a squalk & Asked if he relized he just flew throught McGuire restricted zone, Here is a phone number to call. The Pilot said he stayed west of the Garden State parkway so as to not go through it. App came back & said yes, you were west & so it the restricted zone. Next time stay at least 1 mile east of the GSP.

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid !!!

HPNFlyGirl said:
So what would happen if tower said N1234A contact tower when you get on the ground...and you don't do it?

Depends on the transgression and how much the controller feels like filing paperwork. If the issue is a serious one that the controller has to report I think the recommendation is to call but answer no questions beyond name and pilot license #. OTOH if the problem is minor, calling with a contrite atttitude might end the issue then and there and ignoring the instruction to call could land you in hot water.

Eamon said:
Speaking of 121.5

I cannot believe the stupidy out there. I went from Wilmington, NC to Long Island, NY on Sat & I twice heard pilots in no-no airspace.

The first was a guy that was being called by Potomic App on 121.5. "Airplane 10 miles southwest of whatever VOR at 2,600 ft on a heading of 260, you are entering the ADIZ turn around & bla bla bla..." Then a 1/2 hr later I was on Atlantic City App & heard a guy asking for FF. He stated his position as over ACY at 4,500 ft. App came back & gave he a squalk & Asked if he relized he just flew throught McGuire restricted zone, Here is a phone number to call. The Pilot said he stayed west of the Garden State parkway so as to not go through it. App came back & said yes, you were west & so it the restricted zone. Next time stay at least 1 mile east of the GSP.

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid !!!
The enemy really is us. This is EVERY weekend now since the weather became tolerable. Where do these guys come from? Who lets them......well....fly?

bbchien said:
The enemy really is us. This is EVERY weekend now since the weather became tolerable. Where do these guys come from? Who lets them......well....fly?

Bruce, just look at the Seneca crash in NJ. They TRIED to keep him from flying.

BOHICA.

HPNFlyGirl said:
So what would happen if tower said N1234A contact tower when you get on the ground...and you don't do it?
If they want to push it, the registered owner will get a call or a letter asking who was flying. Then the pilot gets the same. Happened about six years ago to an pilot who rented where I did. Thought he could get away since it wasn't his plane. Don't remember what he did but it was Denver Jeffco (BJC) a class D tower. He was in the air and just left and came back to Fort Collins.

Last edited:
Richard said:
Ron Levy said:
Why not? Aren't you doing the same (exposing yourself to high risk) everytime you sign off a PPL? The difference is in this instance you have prior knowledge.
Exactly -- this guy is a known quantity. And there are students whom I did not know going in, with whom I have declined to continue flying based on their demonstrated conduct.

Or are you saying that perfect record keeping and doubling up on airspace and naviagation requirements is not enough to keep a CFI out of hot water?
I just don't need the hassle from either the FSDO or the media if (when?) this guy screws up again down the line. A friend of mine flew with one of the 9/11 hijackers before it happened, and he was buried in reporters and FBI agents on 9/12. Pass, thank you.

ejensen said:
If they want to push it, the registered owner will get a call or a letter asking who was flying. Then the pilot gets the same.
Needless to say, FBO's have no trouble at all turning in their customers on this deal, but folks who loan out their planes should be warned that they can't shield their friends. If the owner refuses to identify the pilot, the FAA acts against the owner as the "operator" of the aircraft (as opposed to PIC), and he gets whatever sanction they would have given the pilot if they could positively identify him/her. Yes, this will hold up in court unless the owner can prove the plane was stolen or otherwise used without his permission or knowledge.

I just don't need the hassle from either the FSDO or the media if (when?) this guy screws up again down the line. A friend of mine flew with one of the 9/11 hijackers before it happened, and he was buried in reporters and FBI agents on 9/12. Pass, thank you.[/quote]

This friend of yours live on the west coast of Florida? If so I think we know the same guy.

robsingles said:
rblevy said:
I just don't need the hassle from either the FSDO or the media if (when?) this guy screws up again down the line. A friend of mine flew with one of the 9/11 hijackers before it happened, and he was buried in reporters and FBI agents on 9/12. Pass, thank you.

This friend of yours live on the west coast of Florida?
No, not in FL.

wsuffa said:
Bruce, just look at the Seneca crash in NJ. They TRIED to keep him from flying.

BOHICA.
Yeah, Bill I saw that. Nearly unbelievable.

Back