Heard back from FAA concerning my deferred HIMS application.

HIMSpilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
HIMSpilot
Hello again.

HIMS case. Alcohol. Submitted in May 2023. Letter from Washington DC dated June 2nd. DC returned my call, from a week ago, today.
Was told that it's in the hands of the psychiatrist, then goes back to OKC for final approval. The fellow said that its fairly quick after that point (once it goes from head shrink to OK).

Anyone have any input? Specifically, is much of the delay caused by the psychiatrist?
Am eager to get back to flying.

Thank you again!

I received a call from the FAS office today, was advised that the psychiatrists were reviewing December 2022 applications. Mine was received in DC in the first week of January 2023. Was further advised mine could possibly be reviewed this month, by the end of October for sure. Then the trek back to OKC of course. Originally deferred 01/2022. Also Hims alcohol
Best of luck, please continue to post progres.

Thank you! .. kinda pathetic on their part, if you ask me. Anyway, good luck to you as well, and please keep us posted ..

I received a call from the FAS office today, was advised that the psychiatrists were reviewing December 2022 applications. Mine was received in DC in the first week of January 2023. Was further advised mine could possibly be reviewed this month, by the end of October for sure. Then the trek back to OKC of course. Originally deferred 01/2022. Also Hims alcohol
Best of luck, please continue to post progres.

That doesn't sound right. My SSRI pathway 2 made it to DC mid-October 2022. I was told a couple weeks ago that my file was finally with the psychiatrists the 3rd week of July. They were supposed to be done by 3rd week of August. They were given 30 days of extension to today. I still have not seen any movement.

Not sure the SSRI pathway is seen by the same psychiatrists as hims alcohol, that being said, not sure any information provided by DC is truly accurate. Posting to this forum helps us all disseminate the information passed along and judge for ourselves the validity. Don’t shoot the messenger aim for the the source.

As far as seeing movement, my understanding is ‘Certificate Decision’ only triggers once it’s back to OKC, a process in itself... Till then, we’re kept in the dark, unless your AME of RFS provides you with more information.

That doesn't sound right. My SSRI pathway 2 made it to DC mid-October 2022. I was told a couple weeks ago that my file was finally with the psychiatrists the 3rd week of July. They were supposed to be done by 3rd week of August. They were given 30 days of extension to today. I still have not seen any movement

Do they treat SSRI differently than alcohol? .. no idea. But anyway, good luck! Sounds like you’re getting close. Keep us updated please.

My skeptical prediction is that they will not get to your file until you need a new flight physical, and therfore updated new abstinence data , peer support data, weekly group aftercare data, revisit to the HIMS pscyhiatrist data, when they get to your file. It's just the way it is. If they get to it in time it will be a very short issuance (as in 2 months?) with all of the above requried for renewal. So you might as well start now.

HIMS candidates are to proceed in the face of agency staff associated delays as if they were certified, so that when your application getis it's brief moment in the sun, it is "authorizable" by them.

If you don't have updated data and an updated pyiscal, you'll just get another letter and enter another cycle.

My skeptical prediction is that they will not get to your file until you need a new flight physical, and therfore updated new abstinence data , peer support data, weekly group aftercare data, revisit to the HIMS pscyhiatrist data, when they get to your file. It's just the way it is. If they get to it in time it will be a very short issuance (as in 2 months?) with all of the above requried for renewal. So you might as well start now.

HIMS candidates are to proceed in the face of agency staff associated delays as if they were certified, so that when your application getis it's brief moment in the sun, it is "authorizable" by them.

If you don't have updated data and an updated pyiscal, you'll just get another letter and enter another cycle.
Thank you. HIMS is well intended, but in reality a horrible “program”, and nobody should ever enter it voluntarily like I did. It’s sucks because I’m between jobs. Anyway, I appreciate your input!

When you guys say "received by DC", what exactly does that mean? And how do you know? My 3rd class medical packet was submitted by a senior HIMS AME earlier this year (Feb 2023). Ever since then, MedExpress has shown the application in "Transmitted" state with "30 days till initial review". I assume this means it hasn't gone anywhere yet.

It means your file is in yet another queue. Like when you go to the DMV and line up in an incorrect line and are directed to wait in in another line. Except multiply the time scale by 10,000. And that you have no way of getting to the correct line on the first go.

IN "anotherHIMSStory"s case, it means you're in the 220 day long queue to the OKC examiner's eval, meaning you'll get there relatively soon now....

It means your file is in yet another queue. Like when you go to the DMV and line up in an incorrect line and are directed to wait in in another line. Except multiply the time scale by 10,000. And that you have no way of getting to the correct line on the first go.

IN "anotherHIMSStory"s case, it means you're in the 220 day long queue to the OKC examiner's eval, meaning you'll get there relatively soon now....
Is that to mean that third class doesn’t go to DC? .. does that also mean that third class medical certifications are quicker?
Thank you

Back