Headsets

Seanaldinho

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Yerp
Im just about to start my PPL and am curious as to what you guys (expierenced pilots) like in a headset, dislike in a headset, and which ones fulfill those needs.

I need to purchase one soon and if you have any suggestions that would be good, Id like to keep it around 200 *if possible* I will go higher if I have to.

:)

Here's my headset - I like it, it works, functional and no issues.

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/product/11753

Note, sportys won't show you this product through the regular menu, you'll only get the $900 Lightspeed headset.

i'm not married to lightspeed, but for $200, it does a very good job. And I'm not shy about speaking up when I don't like something.

What I like in a headset equates to money....active noise cancelling, ability to plug in a cell phone, gel comfort ear pads. I'm not willing to spend that, so I don't have it.

You will hear a lot of advice about headsets. Which are good, which are not, go ahead and buy ANR now, don't bother with ANR yet, etc.

In my opinion, the most important is to try a pair ON YOUR HEAD before buying if at all possible. Fit is really important for both function and comfort on longer flights. I, personally, do not like David Clark headsets because they feel like a vise on my head after about 20 minutes. Many other pilots love them and by all accounts they are a good headset - just not for me. I've got three paris of AVCOMM headsets. My favorite is a pair of AV-60s that I put gel ear seals on.

I have no experience with working ANR headsets so I have no comment other than, again, they have to fit your head comfortably.

John

What does ANR stand for?

EDIT: I found out that I have a pair of shooting earmuffs that are ANR.

Last edited:
I'd have to suggest getting something cheap now, as the expensive headsets could pay for several hours of flight time, which IMO is much more valuable when you are learning. Put it off as long as possible, if you have a way to borrow one.

If the cheap headset isn't to your liking, you can make it a passenger headset and get another, after you've finished.

I bought myself a DRE 1001 for $120 (new) when I was a student pilot. Shortly before I finished, I asked for a birthday present of a DIY ANR kit. I'm still using that. The DRE was comfy, and the mic quality was good, but the headphone quality was no better than OK (all midrange). The ANR kit replaced the speakers, and now it's substantially better.

I also picked up a used David Clark H10-30, and I think they are overrated. Used, the pricing can be decent. New, they are severely overpriced. The headphone sound is good, but the mic picks up a TON of noise, and it feels like wearing a C-clamp on my head. This one is now a passenger headset. And I bought another (unmodified) DRE 1001 for the other passenger.

Now, if money isn't a problem, get something nice.

Do a search on this site on the topic. I think the most common pieces of advice are:
- Get ANR (Active Noise Reduction); your hearing's worth it
- TRY the headset before you buy it; preferably for multiple hours! You might need to try multiple ones.
- Hold of purchasing a headset until you KNOW that you're going to stick with aviation.

And there are some who really like the in-ear headsets, which give comparable noise reduction.

Last edited:
When you're ready to take the jump in price, Clarity Aloft, or QT Halo headsets are wonderful!

I started out with the basic Lightspeed ANR headset and found it to be comfortable and quiet, with much better passive protection that other ANR headsets (which is great, when the batteries die - and they will). Not sure whether they're still offering this headset; but do know that Marv Golden was offering the same headset with their own branding for a lower price than the Lightspeed branded headset.

Now, I've moved on to in-ear headsets and can't imagine ever going back.
Started with the Lightspeed Mach 1 (discontinued, I think).
Now using the Quiet Technologies Halo - available only from the manufacturer. Perhaps a bit more than you wanted to spend, but a bargain in terms of comfort. Plus, excellent sound quality and mic muffling (quietness when breaking squelch in my noisy cockpit, even with the wind roaring when the canopy is open).

Do a search on this site on the topic. I think the most common pieces of advice are:
- Get ANR (Active Noise Reduction); your hearing's worth it
- TRY the headset before you buy it; preferably for multiple hours! You might need to try multiple ones.
- Hold of purchasing a headset until you KNOW that you're going to stick with aviation.

And there are some who really like the in-ear headsets, which give comparable noise reduction.

Ive spent my afternoon going through the search tool. :)

Im already up to my hip in aviation no sense in getting out now :wink2:

Now though after reading more Im considering putting the money out now for a Zulu 2...

Last edited:
Now using the Quiet Technologies Halo - available only from the manufacturer.
I am on the market too and I am leaning towards QT, it was good to read another confirmation of my choice. :)

I have a Zulu 1 and love it. I started with a LightSpeed 15XLc, which was good, but is now my main passenger headset. You will eventually need a passenger set, anyways, once you get your ticket, so there is little risk in getting something that you may not want as your primary later.

Whatever you do, no Lightspeed Sierra. They're plastic junk and Lightspeed should pull them and focus on their good stuff.

How is your hearing? If your ears are young and vigorous, less than top-of-the line may work for you. Otherwise, an ANR might be best.

Do you wear hearing aids; does the headset work with them in place?

How tall are you? The part that goes over your head on some headsets are thick, so if you fly a low cabin, your head may rub against the top of the cabin.

Can you stand the clamping pressure? Some feel like a vise, but others are so loose, they'll flop down on from the bump of anything but a perfect landing. In one case, the part that goes over my head came down across my eyes. It was as if I'd been blindfolded.

If you go with ANR, take the batteries out or otherwise turn off that feature. Can you still hear well enough with the ANR inactive.

How big are you ears? Some headsets have an opening that is so small, you have to fold your ears back inside to slip them on, and then fly that way.

Do you wear glasses? Some headsets conform around them, cutting out engine noise. Others are not as good at that, so noise leaks through.

In other words, if at all possible, try before you buy.

Last edited:
I am on the market too and I am leaning towards QT, it was good to read another confirmation of my choice. :)

It's hard to beat the headset and the service. I just posted my most recent experience on the red board. Finally convinced my wife to give the Halo a try. Ordered my third set. She wore them, loved the absence of the head clamp but complained about sound quality. I tried her set, yep, there is a problem. Called QT - the replacement crossed my return in the mail. She is replacing the latest greatest Bose.

I fly a quiet* airplane and have enough hearing loss that I wear hearing aids. I have never had a problem with the radios, intercom or XM radio. Keep a small container on the cord to hold my hearing aids when I fly.

You get a 45 day trial period, and they are currently at a discount.

I have no relationship other than happy customer.

*Waco Classic open cockpit biplane with a 275 Jacobs :wink2:

How is your hearing? If your ears are young and vigorous, less than top-of-the line may work for you. Otherwise, an ANR might be best.

Do you wear hearing aids; does the headset work with them in place?

How tall are you? The part that goes over your head on some headsets are thick, so if you fly a low cabin, your head may rub against the top of the cabin.

Can you stand the clamping pressure? Some feel like a vise, but others are so loose, they'll flop down on from the bump of anything but a perfect landing. In one case, the part that goes over my head came down across my eyes. It was as if I'd been blindfolded.

If you go with ANR, take the batteries out or otherwise turn off that feature. Can you still hear well enough with the ANR inactive.

How big are you ears? Some headsets have an opening that is so small, you have to fold your ears back inside to slip them on, and then fly that way.

In other words, if at all possible, try before you buy.
Agreed! But rather than ask how his hearing is now, ask how he wants it to be in 40 years!

I've been eyeing the Golf Coast Aero's...anybody have any experience?
$185
ANR
Music/phone interface cord as well
3 year warranty

http://www.gulfcoastavionics.com/products/3583-gca-anr.aspx

seems like a cheap entry into the ANR field....Thinking about picking them up so I don't need to borrow any more during training then just making then passenger headphones when I get more money.

I deal with alot of used aviation stuff. I have tried every headset there is. My Pitts S-2C puts them to the test because it is louder than anything. I tried the new bose and Zulu headsets. They are junk.... Will not keep up with the noise, they just buzz and crackle. Called both manufactures and was told they are not made for loud aircraft. HA! It is hard to beat the good ole David Clarks. If interested I have some H10-60 and H10-13.4's in mint condition for $195.00 each. I would also recomend the Beyerdynamic HS-200. I am a passive guy. The anr's sound quiet when you push the button. In all reality they block nothing passive so it looks like they do alot. Compare them back to back with a good David clark and you will see the passive is just as quiet or quieter. Heck most Cessna's are quiet enough to fly without a headset and talk to your passengers.

I have the Zulu.2 and really like it. Does a great job on the noise reduction, Comfortable, and rugged enough to withstand my abuse. Blue tooth connectivity is nice.

But since I wear caps when flying, and Texas summers can be like flying in an oven, I'm considering the QT Halo for the comfort, especially after reading the frequent positive reviews.

Your best bet is to get to Airventure this year, at the Aircraft Spruce booth they have a bunch of different headsets that you can try on. It is in a little booth with simulated aircraft noise so you can truly hear the difference. For me ANR is the only way to go. Currently we have a Lightspeed Zulu 1 & 2 plus a 15xl. It is a lot to spend, but how much is your hearing worth, when it is gone it doesn't come back.

I have used David Clark H-10-13.4, H-10-30, Lightspeed 30-3G, Lightspeed Zulu.2, and Bose X.

I would suggest picking up a used set of H-10-13.4's IF you can get them for cheap <$200. They are well made and if you buy them used, you can probably sell them for what you paid if you ever need to get rid of them. If you continue to fly a lot and want to upgrade to ANR, you can buy an ANR headset and give your old David Clarks to your passenger(s).

Otherwise those $195 Lightspeed ANR headsets somebody posted look like a really good deal.

Heck most Cessna's are quiet enough to fly without a headset and talk to your passengers.

This can only be said by someone who flies Cessna jets or who has already lost their hearing...

My cessna has a hand held mic and a speaker on the ceiling. It was built to fly like that..... I do use headsets but it is not a must. If you think a 172 is loud my Pitts will make your ears bleed.

My headset is a Lightspeed Zulu.2 and I really like it. I also have some cheap AvComms that I do not recommend. Our school sells them for the students. I can't remember the model but they sell for like $150. They clamp to your head so tight that its like your is in a vice. You will have a massive headache after an hour or so flight.

Bose is the best. Got two. I also have a passive David Clark with gel seals I got from EBay for about 1/3 the price. I'm a musician and have to pay for the best, so my second passenger gets the Clark.

Bose is the best. Got two. I also have a passive David Clark with gel seals I got from EBay for about 1/3 the price. I'm a musician and have to pay for the best, so my second passenger gets the Clark.

Have you checked your bias? Yes, PUN intended.

I picked up a barely used David Clark H10-30 for $150. I'm still a student. My instructor lent me her H10-40s once and they were outstanding. I have always liked DCs and several pilots have noted that they are super durable, which is another thing I like in a product. They are also affordable and don't need batteries. My H10-30s are also wicked comfortable. The headband is padded and the ear seals are made of gel, which feels good on a hot day. The mic boom stays put even on the hardest of landings. I've never had difficulty hearing anything with them on.

I have no idea what active noise reduction does, so I didn't buy into it. I'm assuming it emits a small white noise-like tone in the headset to reduce the fatigue produced by the drone of aircraft engines. I happen to like the sound of aircraft engines, so I opted out.

My first pair of DCs from 1991 is still working on someone else's head. I have them to a young new pilot friend as a graduation present from high school as he headed off to an aviation program. Neither of us has been nice to them or babied them in any way. I had a newer pair of DCs Karen got me when I went back to flying, so I was covered.

My newish Lightspeed Sierras have plastic stuff flying off of them that I have to retrieve and put back on them almost every flight. Or the mic muff. Or something.

I'm planning on trying out the DC ANR at OSH and if Ye Olde Green Monsters fit my ears, the Lightspeeds will become passenger headsets. Karen also seems to like them so maybe she'll switch.

She bought a relatively cheap pair of DC knockoffs with ANR because they were pink. I warned her they might not be comfortable on long flights, and she got "the headset is crushing my skull" comments started a little bit west of Wichita on the trip home from Gaston's. ;)

I pulled out my DCs, gave her the Sierras and she was much happier.

We'll see, but the Sierras eventually won't be my "daily drivers".

I definitely want ANR nowadays, and the ANR DC conversion kits are a likely way to do that. Want to see how the DC ANR factory offerings hit my ears.

If I wear my DCs with the right earcup too low, I get sore near the estaucian tube area under the right ear. Pressure there for three hours will make me say "owwww!" when I go to remove them.

The qt halo's have a try &buy. I highly recommend them and have no desire to go back to the head clamp.

The only problems I found with the QT halo's compared to the Clarity Aloft's was that in some of the trainers at my field the QT wouldn't break the squelch period. I've heard this problem from a few others.. The surgical tube is also a bit flimsy. The CA's are a couple notches more durable I believe.

I have a few sets of David Clarks which I enjoy. If you're willing to fork over the money, you can't go wrong with Bose.

Just to let you know the Blue Angels use David Clarks. If they are good enough for them they are good enough for me!

I live my DCs.

[snip]
I have no idea what active noise reduction does, so I didn't buy into it. I'm assuming it emits a small white noise-like tone in the headset to reduce the fatigue produced by the drone of aircraft engines. I happen to like the sound of aircraft engines, so I opted out.

ANR produces a sound equal to the constant sounds (i.e. airplane engine) and 180 degrees out of phase. This cancels the constant sound out. It's not just added white noise. It cannot work for transient noises because it can't predict the future. For a science fiction version see "Silence, Please!" By Arthur C. Clarke.

John

Aircraft ANR is also aimed primarily at low frequencies. These are the most damaging, but the most important side effect of that is that you can hear the stall warning.

ANR produces a sound equal to the constant sounds (i.e. airplane engine) and 180 degrees out of phase. This cancels the constant sound out. It's not just added white noise. It cannot work for transient noises because it can't predict the future. For a science fiction version see "Silence, Please!" By Arthur C. Clarke.

John

Interesting! Thanks!

Just to let you know the Blue Angels use David Clarks. If they are good enough for them they are good enough for me!

I live my DCs.

I hear DC has a government contract. I'd hardly call that in-of-itself an endorsement. Can anyone confirm?

I have a few sets of David Clarks which I enjoy. If you're willing to fork over the money, you can't go wrong with Bose.
Eh... I tried the Boses on a LONG XC (Chicago to Bahamas). They felt alright, but one of the two pair had a problem where the sound would cut out periodically. Not acceptable in a $1K headset. Been happy with the Zulus since then.

I hear DC has a government contract. I'd hardly call that in-of-itself an endorsement. Can anyone confirm?

I believe you are correct.

Eh... I tried the Boses on a LONG XC (Chicago to Bahamas). They felt alright, but one of the two pair had a problem where the sound would cut out periodically. Not acceptable in a $1K headset. Been happy with the Zulus since then.

I agree! Not acceptable at all.

Back