Headset - Time to make an order

Just an FYI - the Bose A20 *does not* allow you to stream music over the bluetooth connection.

I have music streaming over Bluetooth onto my LightSpeed Zulu pretty much 90% of the time I fly. Absolute deal breaker for me.

An audio cable is like $5, pretty simple solution but if you don't like the extra wire, then yeah it's a deal breaker.

I have the A20s and love them. I've used my dad's Zulu 2 headset and it's pretty close, noise cancelling not quite there and they clamp my head a bit more. To me, the Bose are more comfortable.

I also got to use a clarity aloft unit last November and I really liked them. They quieted the plane well but the issue was that I couldn't compare them to anything else because it was an airplane I'd never been in (tin can RV4). I'd like to get them in something I fly a lot and try them back to back with the Bose because they ARE damn comfortable and you really don't even know you're wearing them.

Just an FYI - the Bose A20 *does not* allow you to stream music over the bluetooth connection.

I have music streaming over Bluetooth onto my LightSpeed Zulu pretty much 90% of the time I fly. Absolute deal breaker for me.

I recently forgot my ear buds on a commuter flight so popped on my Zulu2 headset and bluetoothed to my phone. ANR and music made for a pleasant flight!

I wonder what the reasoning is for allowing phone calls via Bluetooth but not music.

Another +1 for the QT Halo; I'll not be going back to over-the-ear. Came from Lightspeed Sierras, which I also liked a lot. If you want head-vise style, the Sierras are a good compromise for a first headset buy. For a pretty significant price reduction, they have the same ANR as the Zulu, but have a slightly different headband and only allow Bluetooth phonecalls, music must be through a patch cable.

Like the others said, try on a few and see what you like. I prefer the Bose, my son (11 year old) likes the Lightspeed Sierra and my daughter (9 year old) likes the Lightspeed Zulu.

Bman, save yourself some money and look on craigs list. I bought a $690 set of david clarks for $200. search aviation or aircraft. I'd wait a while before getting into the fancy stuff.

Well, they paid for the headset with the first card pull, so the financing doesn't cost them anything really.

If you think that it costs $90 to design, manufacture, market and pay for an ongoing business then you are out of your mind. Please continue though it does amuse.

I've been flying with Clarity Aloft for almost 10 years, and I wouldn't dream of using anything else. Feather light, comfy, and there're no ear cups pressing my sunglasses into my temples.

Last edited:
Bman, save yourself some money and look on craigs list. I bought a $690 set of david clarks for $200. search aviation or aircraft. I'd wait a while before getting into the fancy stuff.

The flip side of that is if he doesn't get the better headset, he will be buying twice, just like I did.

Get the best you can afford up front, is my opinion.

The flip side of that is if he doesn't get the better headset, he will be buying twice, just like I did.

Get the best you can afford up front, is my opinion.

That's why I went all in. You only get one set of ears, too.

I wonder what the reasoning is for allowing phone calls via Bluetooth but not music.
No clue.

An audio cable is like $5, pretty simple solution but if you don't like the extra wire, then yeah it's a deal breaker.
The extra wire would drive me crazy when there is no point when the damn thing has Bluetooth in the first place but for some unknown reason they chose not to allow music.

I turn my headset on, activate the bluetooth, set iTunes to play random, and shove the phone in my pocket or in a pocket in the airplane. Dealing with making sure a cable is plugged into it (which would probably require I remove the case on the device), etc..would be quite annoying.

Surprised no one mentioned the squawk shoppe... Kinda nice to put bucks in a fellow member's pocket

I like Bose and Lightspeed and have both. Bose is my favorite even though its more expensive.

ditto. I use Bose, my wife has Lightspeed Zulu.2 and the kids have Zulu.1. They all work super well. I am deaf in one ear so protecting the good one with top-notch noise canceling is critical for me.

In my case, I have LEMO powered plugs so I wanted LEMO headsets but I also wanted battery backup in case I ever jumped into a non-LEMO airplane I could still have ANR. The Zulu.2 LEMO connector didn't have a battery backup so that's why I chose Bose - they do have.

The noise canceling and comfort for Bose A20 and Lightspeed Zulus are outstanding and I would say these are the best in terms of performance on the market currently. They do lighten the wallet though.

One annoyance with Bose is that the headset has Bluetooth but it will only make calls - it can't do music. To me, the sound of the airplane is music but for a grand+ they should have that feature as the Zulus do.

Last edited:
Back