Headset recommendations

JTWFL

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JTWFL
I'm looking for recommendations for a headset (brand, model, etc.) as a gift for a student pilot, under $200. Thanks in advance.

I like these. The noise reduction is nothing like Bose or zulu so don't put too much in to that. It is ok though and the headset itself is good. I have 3 of them. the non ANR are cheaper and they are god too.

http://www.marvgolden.com/mg-anr-headset.html?gclid=CJT1gc_ImMICFYtr7AodaQ8AcA

Edit: I know you said under $200 the model I listed was ~$230
You can probably find the same model cheaper that was just the first link that popped up. And they do have less expensive models. I like MG headsets.

Last edited:
Under $200? I would search for a used David Clark for less than $130. Maybe the model H10-30. Put up an ad in the classifieds on this site, or search eBay.

Then I would spend $70 to replace the soft parts with new ones: gel-type ear seals, head pad, and mic cover (if the model has one), which you can buy from Sporty's for example. It will be almost as nice as new then.

David Clarks are very standard headsets. They will be easy for the owner to resell, after he/she has quit flying or decided to move up to something nicer.

Better to give that person a $200 gift certificate for a pilot shop than to give a headset. Headset fit is a truly unique individual property, and the headset one person loves may be torturous on the head of another. It will also give that Student Pilot the option to put up some additional cash and buy the ANR headset s/he really should be wearing if s/he really values his/her hearing.

I tend to agree with Ron.

Lots of people like David Clamps. I think the low end ones suck, and they are expensive for what they are. We use the ANR ones at work and they are OK (they do start to get really irritating after 8 hours of mission time), but that's a whole lot more than $200, even used.

To pick a good headset, you really have to try it on.

Three years ago, when I started training and didn't like the idea of sharing a headset with who knows how many other people, I bought an ASA HS-1 headset for $120. Cheap, yes, but it served me well until two weeks ago, when suddenly the microphone quit working. I called the company, which is based in Washington state, and was told there is a lifetime warranty on the headset, and if I just mailed it back with an explanation of what happened, they would send me a new headset. OK, so maybe the quality isn't as good as a David Clark, but for a new student pilot, this headset is more than adequate, is a very good value, and the warranty is super.

Yep, each time I've bought headsets I've gone to someplace like Airventure where I could try many on. For me I've kept coming back to Lightspeed. I like the Active ANR units. My wife on the other hand loves her "in the ear" clarity alofts. It is as C'Ron says a matter of taste.

Oh, and to the OP, if you decide to go the gift certificate route, I can't recommend MyPilotStore.com enough. Their service is amazing, and their shipping costs are low. I've ordered many things from them, and have been completely satisfied, always, versus another well-known online store, whose name I shall not speak. :wink2:

My flight school let me test several headsets, and I bought FlightComs. Good performance, less ear sweat than some, low price. Three years later I bought Halos from Quiet Technology during their holiday sale. The silicone ear plugs fit well, they are quiet and comfortable on even long trips. Normal price was $359.

Good luck with your search. It's something you will use a lot, so don't rush into a quick purchase.

A bit more than your budget, but I love this headset. It's full ANR, feels super comfortable, is rugged, and has a great case (which can be used for toting small accessories).

Another vote for a gift card. Depending on the student he may be committed enough to want to go ahead and jump into a $500-800 headset that will last him for years.

FWIW check Craigs list. I got a set of David Clark H10-13X for $200. they go for over $660 on sportys

I got myself a used H 20-10 for $75 and invested another $50 for new ear seals. It's been an great sounding headset and very comfy for very little money. It is however going to become a passenger Headset when my A20 arrives on Tuesday.

I'm gonna jump in here with a furtherance of the question. I'm a 150hr pilot working on an IFR rating I've been using a lightspeed 30-3G and loved it until Oct 2014. we were on the return trip from just east of ATL we had made it to just east of MEM for a refuel stop (C-172). we took off again and I noticed that incoming radio transmissions were hard to hear i kept turning the vol up and up still very difficult to hear then my wife said something and the vol about blew my eardrums out. the rest of the trip back to TUL it was a fine line between being able to hear ATC and not killing my ears with conversation in the cockpit. it has taken several months due to bad WX to figure out it was my headset not the intercom or radios. other headsets work just fine. anyone have any idea what is going on with the headset or is it time to trade it...:( if it is time to move on up, do headset of the same brand fit the same ie 3g series to Zulu or sierra?

Last edited:
I'm gonna jump in here with a furtherance of the question. I'm a 150hr pilot working on an IFR rating I've been using a lightspeed 30-3G and loved it until Oct 2014. we were on the return trip from just east of ATL we had made it to just east of MEM for a refuel stop (C-172). we took off again and I noticed that incoming radio transmissions were hard to hear i kept turning the vol up and up still very difficult to hear then my wife said something and the vol about blew my eardrums out. the rest of the trip back to TUL it was a fine line between being able to hear ATC and not killing my ears with conversation in the cockpit. it has taken several months due to bad WX to figure out it was my headset not the intercom or radios. other headsets work just fine. anyone have any idea what is going on with the headset or is it time to trade it...:(
I can't imagine what headset problem would result in the intercom "blew [your] eardrums out" while the radio was inaudible. I suspect there was some issue with the combination of radio volume, audio panel settings, and intercom volume involved. I'd suggest getting someone with more experience with that avionics combination to check things out before you blame it on the headset. If you're really sure it's the headset, you might want to contact Lightspeed customer support.
if it is time to move on up, do headset of the same brand fit the same ie 3g series to Zulu or sierra?
Different models from the same mfr may still feel different. Only way to know for sure how they fit on your head is to try them on.

Give the student the cash, and recommend he evaluate the Quiet Technologies Halo.

Yeah, I'd be quicker to blame the panel than the headset in your case AMA. Having weak sound from external transmissions but strong sound from internal comms would likely be a comm radio issue or an intercom issue.

that is part of why it has taken so long to isolate it to my headset. using other headsets i can hear fine without adjusting radio/audiopanel/intercom settings. is there a better thread to asking these type of questions? (I'm new to this site)

that is part of why it has taken so long to isolate it to my headset. using other headsets i can hear fine without adjusting radio/audiopanel/intercom settings. is there a better thread to asking these type of questions? (I'm new to this site)
On this particular question, the best place to go for help is 800-332-2421 (Lightspeed customer support).

+1 for MyPilotstore as well as the ASA / AirClassics HS-1A headset.
We bought two of them a couple of years ago as backup / guest headsets and couldn't be happier with them. Two week ago, when my Lightspeed Zulu was (again) in for repair, I flew with one of them more than 5 hours on a single day and was comfortable with it the entire time.

MyPilotstore has it currently on sale for $109.95. Btw.: The headset has in their store 106, mostly positive, reviews:
http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/6371#Reviews

As stated by Ron, you might however be better of with a gift card or cash so that the person can decide how to spend it...

I have a set of David Clark H10-40's. Upgraded last year with a headsets inc. ANR Kit, gel ear seals and a new microphone from DC.

$150 shipped.

http://www.headsetsinc.com/anr_kits.html

ba7yreru.jpg

thanks. so far it sounds like that have helpful Customer support. they are having me send it in.

I've flown many brands and right now, my QT Halos are on the glare shield. They are delicate, but man do they work great!

I've flown many brands and right now, my QT Halos are on the glare shield. They are delicate, but man do they work great!

I ordered Halos and can't wait to try them out. While I am generally happy with my Zulus, I often have problems with sunglasses as they tend to brake the air seal of the cushions and as a result increase the noise level. I also like the many reports about the Halos, according to which they are extremely light, comfortable and just as quiet as a good ANR headset.

The price is also great: $359 If they work as advertised, I can sell my used Zulus and still have some money left to send... :D :yes:

You'll like them! If not, they will refund your money. The owner, a PhD audiologist, is also a pilot.

I prefer the silicone tips. My first ones were white, then I lost one and instead of looking in the nice leather case, I ordered replacements. Now I have a lifetime supply of gray tips, plus several spare white ones. I mailed my unused foamies to someone else, never used them.

You'll have to learn to put the plugs in your ears, but it becomes second nature pretty quick. I pump the throttle, then put on my Halo, then turn the key to crank [no primer]. In the winter, I also wind and set the clock to give the fuel extra time to evaporate.

You'll like them! If not, they will refund your money. The owner, a PhD audiologist, is also a pilot.

I prefer the silicone tips. My first ones were white, then I lost one and instead of looking in the nice leather case, I ordered replacements. Now I have a lifetime supply of gray tips, plus several spare white ones. I mailed my unused foamies to someone else, never used them.

You'll have to learn to put the plugs in your ears, but it becomes second nature pretty quick. I pump the throttle, then put on my Halo, then turn the key to crank [no primer]. In the winter, I also wind and set the clock to give the fuel extra time to evaporate.

I was the beneficiary of those foam tips, and I'm still grateful. Thanks again!

I haven't tried all that many headsets in my flying career, but I've flown the Halos for 4 years now and haven't even considered looking for something else. It's not that they're the best at everything (though they may be, in some cases), it's that I just always forget I'm wearing them. Which is a good thing overall, but it's caused me some (minor) issues. I've severed the cord twice by getting out with the headset still on (forgetting I was wearing them) and closing the door on them. Now that I've put "Take headset off" on my shutdown checklist, there's nothing left to complain about. ;)

@Marty + Hank:

This sounds great. I have to admit, that the main reason why I ordered them was that I wanted to give something new a try.... :redface:

@Marty + Hank:

This sounds great. I have to admit, that the main reason why I ordered them was that I wanted to give something new a try.... :redface:

Same here. I went through 3 headsets in 4 years. Then I got the Halos and haven't felt the slightest inkling to look* elsewhere since.

* I do wish the cord was slightly shorter and/or thicker (so I stop cutting it in the door) and added a BluLink so I could listen to music on long solo flights.

have to +1000 on the Halo's. I love mine. I still use the foam tips but they don't bother me at all. It's easy to forget you even have anything on after about 10 minutes. Sound quality is great...not ANR of course, but to be honest I'm not a super fan of ANR. They cut out all the important engine noise. The Halo's have the perfect amount of attenuation. I can hear and 'feel' that low end of the engine but everything is clear as a bell. Without question the best mic I've ever used on a headset and I have 2 pair's of Lightspeed's (Zulu and Sierra) and a pair of Bose we keep in the plane.

My wife is using the Zulu's now but I'm going to get her a pair of the Halo's. She likes to nap and it's a pain with the headphones on. With the Zulu's she won't even know. She can just unplug from the radio's so she can't hear anything there and she still can enjoy the 'hum' but has some ear protection to boot.

Good luck!

[...] She likes to nap and it's a pain with the headphones on. With the Zulu's she won't even know. [...]

I assume, this was a typo and you wanted to say that the Halos are better for napping!?

With my wife and me it is just the other way around – I likes to nap in the car, while she drives.
When I drive however, she prefers to stay awake and alert… ;)
With the Zulus I can’t nap in the plane. If this changes with the Halos, it would be a welcome side effect. 
By the way – I sent yesterday evening at 9:47 pm an e-mail to Quiet Technologies, Phil (the owner??) responded within 20 minutes! Needless to say that I was very impressed.

Love my Halos, even though they're out for repair. The one thing to be careful of is the cord is long and thin. Mine needed to be repaired due to me apparently shutting the cord in the door of a 172. Cord didn't get cut, but it was crimped and would cut out if it was in the wrong position.

I'm talking to my wife about getting a pair for her, but she's not sure she wants to spend that much for something she might use 3-4 times per year (her low-ball estimate on the number of times I'll be flying us around). I told her all we have to do is switch out the ear-tips and anyone else can use them.

I assume, this was a typo and you wanted to say that the Halos are better for napping!?

With my wife and me it is just the other way around – I likes to nap in the car, while she drives.
With the Zulus I can’t nap in the plane. If this changes with the Halos, it would be a welcome side effect. 
By the way – I sent yesterday evening at 9:47 pm an e-mail to Quiet Technologies, Phil (the owner??) responded within 20 minutes! Needless to say that I was very impressed.

Yes, obviously meant to say the Halo's. :) I'm the only pilot so no napping for me but clearly not having a giant headphone cup on is more conducive to laying your head on a pillow up against the window. :)

For what it's worth, check out the 'downloads' section of Phil's site. There'a video on there of me taking up my sister-in-law for the first time. She was absolutely scared to death. He wanted to put it up to highlight the difference between the mics on the Zulu and Halo. I'm not sure this video is the best representation of that but I've used both (used my Zulu's all through my PPL training) and the mic on the Halo is way better.

The couple of times I've called him using the number provided on the website (pre-purchasing and for servicing of the severed cord... twice) he's answered the phone on the first ring. He's really on top of responding to customers.

Love my Halos, even though they're out for repair. The one thing to be careful of is the cord is long and thin. Mine needed to be repaired due to me apparently shutting the cord in the door of a 172. Cord didn't get cut, but it was crimped and would cut out if it was in the wrong position.

I've had to send mine back twice for this very reason. (The time it happened 3 days before my instrument checkride was especially annoying.) I even told Phil that if he comes out with a new model with thicker, more durable cord I'd buy another headset from him. They're nearly perfect for me right now, other than the fear that I'll sever the cord in the door again. It felt silly to put "check headset cord" on the shutdown checklist, but... so far it's worked.

I've had to send mine back twice for this very reason. (The time it happened 3 days before my instrument checkride was especially annoying.) I even told Phil that if he comes out with a new model with thicker, more durable cord I'd buy another headset from him. They're nearly perfect for me right now, other than the fear that I'll sever the cord in the door again. It felt silly to put "check headset cord" on the shutdown checklist, but... so far it's worked.

FINALLY!! An advantage to the single-door aircraft! My Halos get snatched off my head as I start out the door.

But no more post-flight headaches. I was actually thinking about buying an oxygen bottle. Turns out that wasn't where my headaches were coming from.

Has anyone out there used both the Quiet technologies Halo and the Clarity Aloft headsets. I'm trying to decide and want to hear from someone that has used both if the extra money for the CA's is worth it.

I'm talking to my wife about getting a pair for her, but she's not sure she wants to spend that much for something she might use 3-4 times per year (her low-ball estimate on the number of times I'll be flying us around). I told her all we have to do is switch out the ear-tips and anyone else can use them.

I think I'm going to get a pair for my wife. She doesn't like the clamp of standard headsets and, even though she doesn't fly with me often, I'm hoping making her a little more comfortable might increase that. Additionally, it'll be nice to have a backup for the next time I close the door with the cord in it. ;)

Back