Headset Recommendation for 13 year old

Sandi1214

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Sandi1214
Looking for some help. My son has been learning to fly for sometime now and he really needs his own headset. I understand the Bose is top-notch, but financially is not an option at this time. He is 13 years old and is on the smaller side. He wants a headset where the ear cups sit where they are supposed to, as some of the ones he uses are just too big. The Flightcom Denali D50ANR was suggested as an option. I am looking for suggestions, recommendations as this is quite foreign to me. Thank you for your feedback.

I like the ASA headset with a set of the soft muff covers.. all in all I think you are in about $120. I used these during initial training.

Faro Stealth non ANR are what I used before upgrading. Worked fine for me plus come with bluetooth which is a nice addition.

I got a David Clark youth model for my son. Model H10-13 Y I think I paid $90 for it brand new on eBay. You swap parts and make it an adult model as he gets bigger.

Link to Spec Sheet

H10-13-4.png

What’s your budget? You can get an active noise reduction (ANR) headset from Pacific Coast Avionics for about $250. https://www.pacificcoastavionics.com/products/pca-anr?variant=41065302163606

I use one myself and it works well. NOTE - with any budget headset, add a set of cloth earpiece covers and it will be much more comfortable.

Pro tip - if you have trouble adjusting a headset small enough for the kid, try having him wear a ball cap underneath it. Maybe even stuff some tissue inside the cap.

BTW, the ASA passive headsets do work well and they have a lifetime warranty. I used one during training and now use it for passengers.

Thank you for the recommendations. As for budget, I would love to stay around $200-300. I understand that may not be possible. He will be flying 1-2x a month. And thank you for the tip of the cloth ear covers.

DC customer service will send you kid-sized bands for their regular sets. I don't remember if they were free, but if not, they were only a couple bucks.

I don't have to tell you this, but 13 year olds are, or are just about to explode with growth. Buy something like the expandable David Clark models mentioned above. -Skip

Teach him to use the handheld mic and overhead speaker. Give the CFI a pack of filter less Camels to smoke. Teach him real flying :D

Teach him to use the handheld mic and overhead speaker. Give the CFI a pack of filter less Camels to smoke. Teach him real flying :D
Have the CFI put him in the front seat of a Cub and scream instructions in his ear. For small mistakes the CFI pulls on his ears. Big errors get a rap on the side of the head with a rolled up sectional ...

Seriously, the recommendation for an in ear headset above is something to consider as they can be fit to various heads sizes as he grows, they give excellent passive noise rejection, and the price is reasonable. Personally I use Clarity Aloft and find them to be quieter than any other headset I've tried. Of course not all pilots are comfortable with in ear headsets ...

Back