Headset question

JCranford

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
JCranford
Since I don't have a ton of time on different headsets, I have one of 'those' questions.

My headset I fly with 'cuts out' when I am talking sometimes (as in, you can hear yourself talking then cant head yourself talking for a second).

I don't think much about it usually, but I was sitting right seat before a skydive the other day and was talking to the pilot on the spare headset and it sounded nice and clear. Like we were having a normal conversation on the ground.

Made me question whether something was wrong with *my* headset.

Try these:

1. Move your mike closer to your lips.
2. Adjust the squelch on your intercom to activate as soon as you start talking.

Last edited:
Nice to see folks who also jump on here!

Check your squelch?

If you've got a mike muff, you might also be sure that the correct side of the microphone is facing your mouth. The microphone boom on my headset allows it to turn all the way around with ease, which makes it possible that the input side of the microphone is facing outward. I marked the base of the microphone on the input side with a dot of white out so I can glance down (and go cross-eyed) to be sure it's facing the right direction.

<The obligatory "get a QT Halo" phrase goes here, with a note that the microphone is one of the best in the industry according to anecdotal pilot reports. The subsequently obligatory "not affiliated with the company" also goes here. Might not apply if you need something bulletproof for jumping.>

I had the same problem then my instructor showed me how to adjust the squelch on the intercom and that did the trick but every airplane I flew had a different radio stack and it appeared I had the same problem on all the airplanes I flew. Someone suggested I change the microphone cover and that worked like a charm. Apparently the original one was defective (too thick and too dense) and muffled the sound.

If you've got a mike muff, you might also be sure that the correct side of the microphone is facing your mouth. The microphone boom on my headset allows it to turn all the way around with ease, which makes it possible that the input side of the microphone is facing outward. I marked the base of the microphone on the input side with a dot of white out so I can glance down (and go cross-eyed) to be sure it's facing the right direction.

<The obligatory "get a QT Halo" phrase goes here, with a note that the microphone is one of the best in the industry according to anecdotal pilot reports. The subsequently obligatory "not affiliated with the company" also goes here. Might not apply if you need something bulletproof for jumping.>

Funny I feel like I have to talk really loud with my QT Halo. Maybe I just need to play with squelch in the plane.

My headset I fly with 'cuts out' when I am talking sometimes (as in, you can hear yourself talking then cant head yourself talking for a second).

I don't think much about it usually, but I was sitting right seat before a skydive the other day and was talking to the pilot on the spare headset and it sounded nice and clear. Like we were having a normal conversation on the ground.

Made me question whether something was wrong with *my* headset.

To answer your question Cranford, it sounds like the little diaphragm in your mic may have some foreign matter, or kgruber already mentioned trying to clean the connections with a "fine", not course, Scotchbrite pad. (Gray one, not red).

If it is a conventional headset, and cleaning the connections and squelch does nothing, try another mic of a similar headset and see if that corrects the issue (You just need a small screwdriver). If it does your mic may be defective. If you can get your hands on a mic to swap it with just in case, you can try lightly blowing into the slits of your mic and see if that corrects it. I warn you to have a backup microphone just in case you separate the element when blowing on it.

Let me know if you need any more help. If you need a microphone to try out, I'm happy to send you one for testing.

Edit: Removed Unproductive and innapropriate portion of post

Last edited:
Now I have to deal with squashing this nonsense. Excuse me for a minute.

Puahahaha, sorry Ryan, but that mic is nowhere even close to the "best on the market". I know, because I know who makes it and I have the best on the market according to real data, not obligatory polls. So don't go barking that stuff, lest you find yourself neck deep in your own hole. tisk tisk :nono:
First, the name's Adam. Not Ryan. If it were Ryan, my handlers would be pressuring you to delete your post. :wink2:

You DO realize that no one here, other than the new people who haven't read any of your posts, believe you're not "affiliated" right? Maybe you shouldn't set yourself up for failure right off the bat with the new people huh?
Second, back off. My comments were partially tongue-in-cheek in style, relayed because I bought the Halo and love it, and am aware that others do as well because I have read the comments on this site (including comments that the mic is more crisp and clear than any other they've used, which is where my comment came from).

I really don't appreciate your accusation. My body of posts here is freely accessible -- since 2012, I might add, significantly predating your time here -- and you'd do well to search them before charging that I am a shill of some company. For the moment I'll refrain from returning that favor.

I could care less about your appreciation, as you made a direct and false statement! Do you really think your "tenure" gives you any sway? If so, you may need to reevaluate your position. Let me enlighten you, and then give this thread back to the poster shall we? You could return no such favor Ryan, as I am an ACTUAL expert in aviation headsets. So I advise that you just do what you're told before you get in over your head.
(Here's a hint: Don't say stuff you can't back up)

While we're offering expert opinion, couldn't care less is the proper usage. Now, do you have a reading problem? Let me help:

the microphone is one of the best in the industry according to anecdotal pilot reports

Grab your dictionary if you must to look up the word anecdotal. I'll save you the time:

Anecdotal: not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research

Did I suggest that scientific studies show it is technically the best? Did I bill myself as a microphone expert relaying universally true fact? Would you like me to link you to the comments on this site that I used to support my comment about anecdotal evidence? I wouldn't have a problem if you had posted like an adult and offered your knowledge of the facts about the microphone. In fact, I would have acquiesced to that since I'm just a dude who's bought a few headsets. But you came out with guns blazing and accusations flying.

I have made approximately 11 posts about the QT Halo over 3 years and 3,500 posts here at the site. I have never started a thread about them. That is 0.3% of my posts here. If I'm a shill for the company, boy am I doing a ****ty job. And the entire accusation is interesting considering you're, you know, actually here selling your wares. Which I've never had a problem with until your false accusations started flying. Pretty rude.

[PS] - Quit editing your post after the fact. Stand by your original words.

Whoa, it's warm in this thread. Guy, chill. My cheapo cereal box headset beats out both of you guys in every category... especially with the ladies. :)

Whoa, it's warm in this thread. Guy, chill. My cheapo cereal box headset beats out both of you guys in every category... especially with the ladies. :)

Real men don't use headsets. Just watch any GA video from back in the day.

Yeah, I apologize to the OP for the thread derail, but it deserved a response. Not sure what I ever did to warrant that, and now it's turned into veiled threats. :dunno:

All i know is my Halos are comfortable, don't give me headaches, don't make my ears sweat on warm days, and sound clear to me and to others.

You hotshot headset sellers, please take your squabble off-line, you're both disturbing the rest of us.

another cause of static could be the panel plug, had to adjust the connection on mine once. Plug your headset into the other side (or in another plane); if the static is unchanged, it's your headset, but if it goes away its your panel jack.

Good luck, and let us know what you find. (Haters, please go away.)

All i know is my Halos are comfortable, don't give me headaches, don't make my ears sweat on warm days, and sound clear to me and to others.

You hotshot headset sellers, please take your squabble off-line, you're both disturbing the rest of us.

another cause of static could be the panel plug, had to adjust the connection on mine once. Plug your headset into the other side (or in another plane); if the static is unchanged, it's your headset, but if it goes away its your panel jack.

Good luck, and let us know what you find. (Haters, please go away.)

I am not a headset seller. I do insurance (which I've never solicited for here). You can look me up. I responded to a ridiculous accusation and it is my right to defend my integrity here. That being said, I understand that the squabble is disturbing and I don't plan to fight with him further in the thread.

1) fun thread

2) I thought it was 'mic'

3) I have a low end headset, sometimes it simply takes rotating the mic to make an immediate noticeable improvement

"You hotshot headset sellers, please take your squabble off-line, you're both disturbing the rest of us."

Well said Hank. Blue is certainly looking more red lately.

I don't know about mike quality, but I get compliments about how clear my radios are from guys 60 miles out that hear me making pattern calls. I and my wife use Halos, have been for six years without a problem and when I fly with friends in their airplanes and use their vice headsets (even the mighty Bose), I am reminded how much I love my Halo.

Last edited:
It may not be the headset, try to adjust your intercom and squelch in the airplane so it picks up your voice easier.

It may not be the headset, try to adjust your intercom and squelch in the airplane so it picks up your voice easier.
I find when my squelch is set too high, my first few sylables are truncated, but once I can hear myself, it is fine as long as I keep talking. If the squelch is too high it doesn't usually drop out after I begin talking unless I fade out.

Just my experience with squelch.

I would try adjusting the squelch before taking my mic or headset apart. Recently had a pilot friend in my airplane that forgot about the manual squelch and couldn't figure out why his voice was cutting out.

It is almost always the simple things, let us know what you find out.

Just start all sentences with "and" or the Captain's Uh. :D

It sounds like an intercom squelch problem, not necessarily the headset. If it were a headset problem it shouldn't care whether it's your first or any other syllable (in other words the problem would happen intermittently in the middle of your speaking). Since it happens at the beginning of the speaking, it's probably a squelch sensitivity problem.

It sounds like an intercom squelch problem, not necessarily the headset. If it were a headset problem it shouldn't care whether it's your first or any other syllable (in other words the problem would happen intermittently in the middle of your speaking). Since it happens at the beginning of the speaking, it's probably a squelch sensitivity problem.

No no, it IS an intermittent problem. Happens during the middle of a transmission, not really at the beginning.

All good information guys, thanks!

Were you by chance referring to my post where I said the first syllables were cut off? If so, then we are in agreement that that is a squelch problem. But the OP said the problem is usually in the middle of the sentence. That could be other things besides squelch.

I don't know about mike quality, but I get compliments about how clear my radios are from guys 60 miles out that hear me making pattern calls

Realistically, that probably has a bit more to do with your radio than your headset. Not to mention, 60nmi LOS is performance I'd expect out of a 10W VHF radio.

Realistically, that probably has a bit more to do with your radio than your headset. Not to mention, 60nmi LOS is performance I'd expect out of a 10W VHF radio.

At pattern altitude LOS is not very far. I know VHF doesn't skip, but atmospherics do play a part. But agreed, the radios/antennas are primarily responsible but the clarity wouldn't be there if the mike was of poor quality.

At pattern altitude LOS is not very far. I know VHF doesn't skip, but atmospherics do play a part. But agreed, the radios/antennas are primarily responsible but the clarity wouldn't be there if the mike was of poor quality.

Incorrect. VHF "skips" fine under the right circumstances. Trans-Equatorial Propagation VHF contacts have been reported multiple times this month. Meaning: You transmit south from somewhere in the northern hemisphere, say near the 40th parallel, and someone near 40 South hears you. Folks are doing moonbounce with 100W and a decent antenna these days with the computers doing the "talking".

As far as how it relates to aviation, there's a lot of patchwork/quilting of the frequencies in use for distance separation of the stations, so even a nice solid tropospheric ducting event won't "bother" folks in another area too much usually. There's quite a bit of planning (known colloquially as "frequency ordination", but really it's based in both the science and art known as RF Engineering) that goes into choosing say, 132.75 as the local frequency for the TRACON in one city, and not re-using that frequency again for quite a long distance away.

Other considerations are not using receiver frequencies that are harmonics of other transmitters on the same site or even so close the antennas are in each other's "near fields", or alternatively sharing antennas and filtering appropriately to remove the unwanted transmitted frequency from being heard coming back down the feedline to that antenna, etc etc etc.

Ever notice that your Transponder and DME frequencies aren't multiples of any of your Comm frequencies generally, but that you could easily swap the two antennas with virtually no performance difference? And your Comm frequencies generally aren't multiples of your Nav frequencies? Modern aircraft with multiple transmitters on board and even more receivers are marvelously well though out systems to keep those radios from interfering with each other, for the most part.

That stuff was all figured out a long time ago by a reasonably smart systems engineer who could think both in RF terms and in failure mode terms.

(Bonus round: What is DME? It's just a transponder in reverse. The transponder is on the ground and the transmitter is in the air... You didn't know you had your own secondary RADAR system on board, did you? It's just that it's kinda "dumb" and doesn't have a rotating antenna...)

The world of RF is fun. All sorts of real world analog problems to solve, even in the digital age.

But it is! Line of sight (overly) simplified is as follows:

s = sqrt(2rh+h^2)

s = line of sight distance
r = radius of sphere (Earth = 3959mi)
h = height viewed from

At 1000ft, that's almost 40mi.

Incorrect. VHF "skips" fine under the right circumstances. Trans-Equatorial Propagation VHF contacts have been reported multiple times this month. Meaning: You transmit south from somewhere in the northern hemisphere, say near the 40th parallel, and someone near 40 South hears you. Folks are doing moonbounce with 100W and a decent antenna these days with the computers doing the "talking".

As far as how it relates to aviation, there's a lot of patchwork/quilting of the frequencies in use for distance separation of the stations, so even a nice solid tropospheric ducting event won't "bother" folks in another area too much usually. There's quite a bit of planning (known colloquially as "frequency ordination", but really it's based in both the science and art known as RF Engineering) that goes into choosing say, 132.75 as the local frequency for the TRACON in one city, and not re-using that frequency again for quite a long distance away.

Other considerations are not using receiver frequencies that are harmonics of other transmitters on the same site or even so close the antennas are in each other's "near fields", or alternatively sharing antennas and filtering appropriately to remove the unwanted transmitted frequency from being heard coming back down the feedline to that antenna, etc etc etc.

Ever notice that your Transponder and DME frequencies aren't multiples of any of your Comm frequencies generally, but that you could easily swap the two antennas with virtually no performance difference? And your Comm frequencies generally aren't multiples of your Nav frequencies? Modern aircraft with multiple transmitters on board and even more receivers are marvelously well though out systems to keep those radios from interfering with each other, for the most part.

That stuff was all figured out a long time ago by a reasonably smart systems engineer who could think both in RF terms and in failure mode terms.

(Bonus round: What is DME? It's just a transponder in reverse. The transponder is on the ground and the transmitter is in the air... You didn't know you had your own secondary RADAR system on board, did you? It's just that it's kinda "dumb" and doesn't have a rotating antenna...)

The world of RF is fun. All sorts of real world analog problems to solve, even in the digital age.

100W? That's cheating. I've moon bounced with 10W plenty of times!

But you're right, RF is all kinds of fun! It's been too long since I've spent any time with any of my ham gear, though.

Back