Headset options

Bingtx

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
I will be starting my training soon. I'm a little overwhelmed by the various headset options. Any advice on selecting a quality set-up? Thanks.

I will be starting my training soon. I'm a little overwhelmed by the various headset options. Any advice on selecting a quality set-up? Thanks.

Any particular price range you're looking at? You can easily spend $100 to $1000.

One thing you might consider is go with a cheaper one until you're pretty sure you want to keep doing this stuff for a while, then as a solo or check ride gift to yourself, buy a more expensive set with ANR. That's what I did, and am keeping the cheap one as a backup.

I have a clarity aloft and will never go back to the headclamp again. I can wear it for hours like a pair of sunglasses and not even realize it is on.

Any particular price range you're looking at? You can easily spend $100 to $1000.

One thing you might consider is go with a cheaper one until you're pretty sure you want to keep doing this stuff for a while, then as a solo or check ride gift to yourself, buy a more expensive set with ANR. That's what I did, and am keeping the cheap one as a backup.

Like he said how much is the big factor

I think the Bose QC-15 and UFlyMike are great. I have two and prefer them over my Bose X. Cost is roughly $550 new, though I just picked up a used setup for about $350.

They make great kids headsets too if that ever becomes a factor. They are very small and the lightest ANR over the ear aviation headset you can get. And the QC-15 can be used on commercial flights, in the car, etc.

If you don't want to spend that much, get a used David Clard 13.4 for $200-$300. They will last 20 years, and are fairly comfortable. They are the most durable headset available, and are made in the USA.

I am a new student pilot. Not looking to spend that much on a headset, I bought the classic David Clark H10-13.4. It is a great set, and I have not had any problems.

Two things...

First, make sure you try it on before you buy it. It's your head, not your buddy's which will be clamped inside it for many hours to com, so unless your buddy is your identical twin, what fits comfortably on your buddy's head may not fit comfortably on yours.

Second, unless you want your hearing to be as bad when you get to be my age as mine is now, ANR is the only way to go. Passive headsets were the best we had 30 years ago, but today's technology will protect your hearing in ways we could only imagine then.

I have had ANRs since Lightspeed introduced them at a price below the Bose hysterical gouge. My wife flies with the Clarity Aloft in-the-ear passives. They provide similar levels of protection. As CapnRon points out, it's a matter of what fits you and what your tastes are. I'd rather wear my Zulu.2's than the in-your-ear things but my wife likes the others.

If you can get to Sun N Fun or Airventure or some pilot shop with a decent selection, you could get the best attempt at fit/comfort.

I am a new student pilot. Not looking to spend that much on a headset, I bought the classic David Clark H10-13.4. It is a great set, and I have not had any problems.

I concur. You can't go wrong with this headset. I bought mine from a guy on Craigslist, but my ears are big so I'm saving for Lightspeed Zulus. The plane I rent comes with a set of Bose A20s and they are not bad, but again, I'm saving for a higher end pair. I'm keeping the DCs because they're okay in a pinch and they retain their resale value.

David Clark H10-30 (or H10-13.4 as mentioned above). upgrade later and keep the H10-30s as a spare later on.

David Clarks are indestructable, and inexpensive when found used.

Find a used pair, and if/when you step up to an ANR headset, you can sell them again for what you paid.

My old David Clarks stay on a shelf in the hangar now that I've stepped up to Bose headsets.

My school rents David Clarks and I didn't find them so comfortable and they charge $10 each time you use them so I bought AirClassics HS-1A headset and I find it comfortable and works great for my lessons. They were only $109 here: http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/6371
so I figure even if I get a new headset down the line these pay for themselves within 11 lessons.

You only have one set of ears.

On that note I use the Bose A20. So does my boyfriend. We spent 20 hours in the last week flying, along with a buddy in his Zulu. Not one of us had headset complaints. They're high end headsets and you get what you pay for.

you can get a Light speed 30 G ANR used but in good shape on ebay for about 225.00.

I concur. You can't go wrong with this headset. I bought mine from a guy on Craigslist, but my ears are big so I'm saving for Lightspeed Zulus. The plane I rent comes with a set of Bose A20s and they are not bad, but again, I'm saving for a higher end pair. I'm keeping the DCs because they're okay in a pinch and they retain their resale value.

A20's arent good enough for you Zulu's arent higher end.

I have over 15,000 hours and the one thing I learned about headsets is that you don't have to spend money. Buy a new Sigtronics S-20 for $144. They will work just fine. I have a pair too.

Check out the halo from http://www.quiettechnologies.com

I traded in my Lightspeed Zulus for this fantastic headset. Great price and super comfortable.

My only concern is ripping the plugs out of the panel because they're so comfortable, I often forget I'm wearing them.

I have the A20s. Make sure you get ANR.....once you lose your hearing it doesn't come back

.....once you lose your hearing it doesn't come back

Flyers skimp in various places. Headsets should not be one.
I have some permanent hearing loss based on some poor choices when younger. Don't make my mistake.

Are there any headsets I should just avoid all together?

Well, feeling overwhelmed before you posted was apparently nothing compared to after everyone responded. :)

Everyone likes headsets for different reasons. Price, fit, form, and function. It's all a very personal thing. You can look and look until your blue in the face. However, as Ron said, "it's your head" so find something that works for it, not your buddies. Also, decide what you want on it; ANR, dual volume, iPhone/Droid integration, bluetooth, color, etc. You have a great budget, and there are a lot of options for that price.

Borrow others headsets. Most of the pilots that don't have their nose up in the air to everyone will let you use theirs for a flight to try them out.

Just remember, that in most cases, you get what you pay for. However, any headset over 600 bucks, you're paying for their name. Any headset for 100 bucks, is just that, and nothing more.

I won't pitch our product to you, but we have great options as well with all the things you need, and some that you want. ;) A link to us: The Squawk Shoppe

Good luck, and enjoy it!!

Last edited:
Are there any headsets I should just avoid all together?

Not really, they're all priced accordingly. David Clarks are known for being built like a tank and are a good value for the money. I'd spend 200 for a set of DCs over 100 for an off brand knock off, if for no other reason than the build quality and customer service of david clark is well known.

I have 2 sets of A20s, Not really necessary until you start going on 2-3hr cross country trips IMHO. Save your money for lessons for now buy the ANR later, I still have my original set of David Clarks. They're 1/5 the price of the A20s and 10 times the build quality.

I bench marked the Bose, Sennheister, Beyers, LightSpeeds, and possibly a few others at Oshkosh last year. For me, the Zulu.2 had the best functionality for me.

I waited 25 years before buying my first headset but all of the planes with radios used to have hand mikes and speakers, helmets and headsets were for chest thumpers. Eventually I bought a Bose X. I know it was $1k but it's been close to 10 years now and I've never had any trouble or reason to look for something else.

Back