Headset mic jack is loose

callegro

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Callegro
Anyone know how to fix this issue? The headphone jack is fine, although the mic jack on my Cherokee 180 doesn't like my Bose X. A bump will knock it out of the socket. Just doesn't seem to want to grab.

Thanks in advance

You can order a replacement jack for almost nothing. Shame most of the Radio Shacks have closed down. Shipping will probably cost more than the jack. Basically it's a jack with a nut and 2 or 3 non-metal washers. Take a picture of the backside of the jack as it's installed under the panel so you know how to put the new one in.

On the other hand, the prongs on the jack you've got installed may just need to be squeezed together a little bit.

You can order a replacement jack for almost nothing. Shame most of the Radio Shacks have closed down.
To clarify, the HEADPHONE jack is a quarter-inch jack can be found almost everywhere, like Rat Shack or Fry's. The MICROPHONE jack is different, about 0.20" in size, not used (currently) for anything else but aviation....it was originally used in the manual telephone switchboards.

Despite being an aviation exclusive, the microphone jack isn't that expensive (~$6) but it usually can be found only at aviation suppliers. Aircraft Spruce carries them.

Ron Wanttaja

Thanks for the replys guys. I found them on Aircraft Spruce. Gonna place an order.

Thanks for the replys guys. I found them on Aircraft Spruce. Gonna place an order.

Save yourself some money and a bit of work. Remove the front panel nut and washer. Pull the jack out of the panel where you can get at it. There will be two "hairpin" type contacts. Squish them (that's a technical term, you'll get used to it) back together or bend them back carefully with long nose pliers so that they hold the plug better.

The jacks really never wear out, but sometimes they get loose "unsprung" with age and use. I could make an obscene analogy but will refrain.

Jim

Agreed...it is hard for those plugs to wear out. Most likely contacts just need to be bent back in a bit to add tension back onto the connector. Once you get to the back of the jack they are typically very open and accessible. If you jack housing is enclosed the contacts may not be accessible.

Back