Headset - Marv Golden?

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
Anyone know anything about the Marv Golden Eagle ANR headset? I have a student that is interested in purchasing a headset and wants ANR - but also isn't interested in spending much. He asked me for my opinion on them and I've never even seen them before.

Anyone used one before?

http://www.marvgolden.com/mg-golden-eagle-anr-headset.html

look in the back seat of the Cherokee....(the black one). IMO they are a pax headset at best. I don't recommend them at all for pilots, a used DC could be had for the same price that is much better. Keep in mind the model im referring to is 6 years old, maybe the newer ones are better.

Last edited:
A thread on the red board recommended them, so I got one for my wife and I tried it out the other day. It's not too bad, really fast shipping and the quality seems to be ok. The connections for music, etc are easy to route. The ANR isn't as good as my Bose or a Lightspeed, but you can tell that it's on. The thing I always notice about ANR headsets is that with the ANR off, they are way louder than the non-ANR ones -this is obvious, but when I turn them on I often wonder if it's really that much difference than a good set of non-ANR. The earcups are deep - so that part is more comfy than my Bose. They were a bit tight on my head but I think that would get better with time since they were brand new.

If someone is looking for a decent headset, these seem to be ok. You get what you pay for though - these aren't just Lightspeed's with a different label.

My wife used to complain that my Marv Golden headset gave her headaches. Mrs. Steingar complains about lots of things, so I rather took than one in stride. I finally started wearing it on long flights during which a friend was at the controls, and it gave me headaches too.

Last time I flew Young Eagles it emerged from the aircraft in pieces. I was not particularly annoyed.

I hve one of those - but a different brand. I'm pretty sure it's an OEM branded LightSpeed.

My take - it's a good student set, and a good passenger set. After I had them for a while I upgraded the ear seals, it looks like this one has the upgrades. They don't feel real sturdy, like a higher priced set, but they have held together for me with no problems at all. They are light, and the ANR works well with 2-AA batteries. The set I got came with a cell-phone adapter cord, and it does work. It's really a pretty good bargain for an ANR set.

My only complaint - there is no way to lock the headset/ear-cup adjustments. They are friction fit only, and they tend to slip. I'm always having to reset them. I've tried a couple of things to keep that from happening, but haven't had any luck. It gets annoying. Maybe it's just mine, but it's something to think about. I've since moved to a different style/brand headset that doesn't have that problem, so now this is a pax set.

One brand I seem to be the only one using is Softcomm. I have a couple C-90s that have been beating around on my head and in my flight bag for 10+ years now. The ANR works fine and they are comfortable (for me). Paid less than $300 for the second pair for my wife when I passed my PP ride. Not sure that the C-90 is sold anymore, but whatever they've replaced it with should be good, too.

Anyone know anything about the Marv Golden Eagle ANR headset? I have a student that is interested in purchasing a headset and wants ANR - but also isn't interested in spending much. He asked me for my opinion on them and I've never even seen them before.

Anyone used one before?

http://www.marvgolden.com/mg-golden-eagle-anr-headset.html

I've got one.. It's "OK". I have relegated it to passenger use since i got a Bose a20.

Back