Headset idea

ettsn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ettsn
So, let me start by saying I have a Bose A20 I quite like, and a few sets of DCs to boot. I say this to avoid the "just buy a real aviation headset" responses. ;)

Looking at the Clarity Aloft style headsets, I think I'd like to try them. But I think I can do better. I'm also a musician, so I have really good in-ear monitors and a boom mic, like these:
westoneac20_6578.jpg

Westone AC20 custom molded IEMs

Products31120-1200x1200-319133.jpg

Shure WH20XLR

Converting from XLR to a .206 plug is easy enough. Does anyone know what kind of impedance matching I need to do? Is it close enough, or will it be super hot (or nearly dead)?

Same for the IEM: 1/8" to 1/4" is easy peasy, but what about the load to the intercom/audio panel?

I'm thinking I could knock up an adapter box with GA plugs coming out of it, with 1/8" and XLR jacks on it, and I'd be money. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
I built mine out of a Bose boom mike, set of Shure in ear monitors and a similar frame. For headset impedance matching I just used a mini off the shelf in-line thumb wheel volume control. A small radio shack project box worked great for the junctions and for the shielded mike/phone cord from the panel to the box, I bought a pre-made one off eBay with aviation jacks for very little money.

Works great, and I can wear any hat I want. Cost all in was prolly $75.

Only thing I'm thinking about your idea is I'm not sure how good a seal you'll get in your ear canal, but I'm not familiar with that design.

I might have posted pics when I did it. Search DIY headset. I used an aviation mike, so I can't help you with that, but I think theres' other posts here that do.

Last edited:
Thanks! These are custom molded to my ears and seal extremely well. Certainly better than pinch foam or silicone triple tree type monitors. They're made specifically to block most outside noise, as a stage can be a very noisy environment.

Adding potentiometers is a great idea!

Back