Headset for dual use

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
I would appreciate a better headset for both aviation and non-aviation use and I try to find commonality wherever possible.

I though of upgrading my aviation set to the new Lightspeed, but my obstacle is the thought of spending $900 bucks for something that I would only use <100 hrs/yr and that just doesn't seem like a good value, considering my PNR headsets function as designed. I would do it for the appreciation of better comfort and sound quality.

Pair this with wanting the same for non-aviation use and the dollar/hr value increases, but I may look a bit silly during my daily commute with a pair of LS's donned.

Enter my recollection of the QC-15 after (by chance) coming across them at BestBuy and now the wheels are turning.

Are there other sets that I should consider?

Amortize the headset out over how long you'll be using it and it's nothing. If you get 10 years out of a Lightspeed (or whatever you like using as a proper tool), you're fussing over $7.50/month.

What about a Bose QC and a UFlyMike? While it's probably not the best at either, it gets the job done. A used QC15 is in the $200 range, with the UFlyMike another $225.

What about a Bose QC and a UFlyMike? While it's probably not the best at either, it gets the job done. A used QC15 is in the $200 range, with the UFlyMike another $225.

Howdy!! And welcome to PoA!

You can't put a price on your hearing.

While testing out my DC Pros, I listened to music from my iPad and it sounded pretty good. Plus they are small and lightweight. (But no, I don't normally use them out of flying).

I would expect in the ear units like clarity to work well without extra bulk also.

I have this exact setup for my son and wife. They like it because it is comfortable and familiar. I've tried it a couple of times and it works pretty well, but the ANR is not as good as a good dedicated aviation headset like the A20.

I've had the Bose QC lines mostly for use in my office and in the back of commercial airliners. They are not in any shape or form an AVIATION headset. If you're not going to spend the money on a full up ANR, go get one of the passives that fits you comfortably. The noise canceling will be much better than trying to use the QC for this (let alone the issues of kludging a microphone on the thing).

I think the QC with UflyMic is a better setup for 121 jet pilots than for piston GA.

Back