Headset Choice?

bnunn

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bob
I spend most of my time flying a Cherokee Six. I have two of the new Lightspeed Zulu headsets and really like how they perform. By the way, the bluetooth connection to my cell phone works great too. Anyway, most of my passengers do not want to wear a headset that fits over their heads.

I see several models of "over the ear" headsets. Lightspeed-MACH 1, Plantronics MS series, and Clarity Aloft are among those I've been looking at.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Not yet, though I'm going to try a set at OSH. These are IN-THE-EAR devices that fit snugly into your ear canal and seal tightly to keep noise down.

I've got a set of headphones for my Zune player that work similarly, and subjectively they are as quiet when I mow the lawn as my old hearing protectors were.

The trouble with the in-the-ear units is that they need to be custom fitted for good performance, and you may find that passengers will like things sticking in their ears even LESS than they like over-the-ear cup models.

The trouble with the in-the-ear units is that they need to be custom fitted for good performance, and you may find that passengers will like things sticking in their ears even LESS than they like over-the-ear cup models.
This is not quite accurate. While there are several in-the-ear models that use custom molds, many/most use either high-density foam or silicone ear plugs that adapt to various users. There is a certain ick factor there, just like with nasal cannulas, so you need to keep a supply of new plugs available. They just screw on and off. Takes 5 seconds.

I have one of the very early models, the Quiet Technologies Auricomm, which licensed the technology to Lightspeed. I like it very much, but I lent it to my airplane partner and he won't give it back!

Terry is right in that lots of people do not like having something IN their ears. Typically I include in my airplane a box of regular foam ear plugs and if someone doesn't want to do the headset thing I offer them as an option, as long as they understand they can't hear or be heard.

Back