Heads Up: pingBuddy 2

Llewtrah381

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Llewtrah
After learning about pingBuddy by uAvionix on this site, I looked into getting one and learned they had all been sold by that time but a new and improved version pingBuddy 2, was due out in the spring.

A reseller (for drones) was basically pre-selling them, so I "bought" one. They've been keeping me updated re all the various delays and I got an interesting email from them today.

Per the reseller they'll ship soon BUT they won't include weather. Bummer. I asked if they knew if a firmware upgrade would be coming and they didn't think so.

Then I called uAvionix to get a better idea of what's going on. Turns out the pingBuddy 2 will not receive from ground stations! That means no weather AND no traffic other than ship-to-ship ADS-B. Well, heck, that makes the traffic of very limited value to GA, IMHO.

The original pingBuddy did receive ground (and therefore weather and more-complete traffic). The person I spoke with had no idea why they didn't at least make more of those to sell, let alone come out with an upgraded version in the $150 range that is good for GA.

So, for anyone like me hoping to wait on the pingBuddy 2, just be aware of what it won't be!

I canceled my order and the reseller was very understanding - and unaware of those details.

Yep, and I pointed that out to the guy.

Wow!!!
7 yrs,,, 4th post,,
Still a very quiet TROLLer...
???

I learned about pingBuddy on this site and the new one appears to have considerably less capability than the old one. It won't fit my mission but it may fit others.

Help me understand how you think I'm trolling. Not my intent.

I think the term is lurker, not troll.

ETA: And thank you for the heads-up. Why they heck would anyone scrap sales of a very affordable adsb-in product for an "upgraded" one that doesn't have FIS-B! Completely nonsensical.

When I finally get around to not wanting to tote around an old iphone to use as display for my legacy skyradar puck, whose wifi apparently can only be detected by iCrap products, I think I'm going with pathfinder, since it works with fltplan go on my android tablet.

I think the term is lurker, not troll.

ETA: And thank you for the heads-up. Why they heck would anyone scrap sales of a very affordable adsb-in product for an "upgraded" one that doesn't have FIS-B! Completely nonsensical.

When I finally get around to not wanting to tote around an old iphone to use as display for my legacy skyradar puck, whose wifi apparently can only be detected by iCrap products, I think I'm going with pathfinder, since it works with fltplan go on my android tablet.
LOL - OK - "lurker". I had always understood trolls to be people who just tried to poke people into an argument or something, like, well, never mind...

The sales guy at uAvionics didn't understand their situation either. I noted they'd be at OSH and they may want to be very careful not to mislead GA pilots about the pingBuddy 2 and he said they didn't plan to even talk about it; just their drone stuff (their core business).

My son, also a pilot, was showing me the Stratux he built and I started doing some homework. The pingBuddy seemed like a really good deal. I may go back to the Stratux idea, especially the "pre-packaged" versions becoming very common.

I actually have in and out via my FreeFlight RANGR and am very happy with it. I was looking for an inexpensive way to have weather and traffic when I fly other stuff I don't own. Oh well - the search continues.

Back