Heading to SLC Wednesday.

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
Looks like we're flying the Baron to Salt Lake for Turkey day and a little skiing (if they still have snow). It looks like there actually is a viable departure procedure from U42 so hopefully I won't get stuck on the ground there for several hours like one time a couple years ago.

Does anyone in that area have any experience with IMC deparrtures from U42?

Best to depart VFR from U42 if you possibly can. Can pick up your IFR clearance on the ground via the remote outlet, but with a VFR climb until you're clear of the SLC arrival path. The SLC departure controller will generally give you IFR status as soon as you call airborne, but will only give void-time clearances from the ground if inbound traffic is at a lull.

If you have a thousand foot ceiling, this is the way to go. Obviously if you don't have conditions that allow this, you will need IFR from the ground, but expect at least some delay.

Fortunately, it's pretty rare to need IFR from the ground in the Salt Lake Valley, and when you do, icing is a serious consideration. U42 is a nice airport, but IFR departures are its principal drawback.

Jon

Best to depart VFR from U42 if you possibly can. Can pick up your IFR clearance on the ground via the remote outlet, but with a VFR climb until you're clear of the SLC arrival path. The SLC departure controller will generally give you IFR status as soon as you call airborne, but will only give void-time clearances from the ground if inbound traffic is at a lull.

If you have a thousand foot ceiling, this is the way to go. Obviously if you don't have conditions that allow this, you will need IFR from the ground, but expect at least some delay.

Fortunately, it's pretty rare to need IFR from the ground in the Salt Lake Valley, and when you do, icing is a serious consideration. U42 is a nice airport, but IFR departures are its principal drawback.

Jon

Most of the times I've gone there I was able to depart with a VFR climb but one time it was IMC and my departure was delayed several hours, something I've never encountered anywhere else. At that time I had several conversations with the TRACON sup and was basically told that in order to let me depart they had to shut down all arrivals into SLC which they weren't willing to do. Ironically there wasn't any problem with ice in the area, but due to the extended delay I did have an encounter with moderate to severe ice on the MN/SD border that was a much greater problem than it would have been if I'd been allowed to depart on time.

I don't want to get stuck again so I'm considering going to Provo which is almost an hour away by car (vs 20 minutes for U42) from my final destination. I was hoping that with the ITOFO1 RNAV DP which takes U42 departures to the south (vs the old DP which went north) things might have changed, but from what you're saying it sounds like they haven't. I still find it hard to believe that it's not practical to depart from U42 in IMC.

I was hoping that with the ITOFO1 RNAV DP which takes U42 departures to the south (vs the old DP which went north) things might have changed, but from what you're saying it sounds like they haven't. I still find it hard to believe that it's not practical to depart from U42 in IMC.
I have had the same problem with U42 in the past, but I have not been there recently. I would call Salt Lake Tracon on the phone and ask what the chances are these days of doing that departure procedure in IMC. They can probably give you an idea of what you can expect.

I have had the same problem with U42 in the past, but I have not been there recently. I would call Salt Lake Tracon on the phone and ask what the chances are these days of doing that departure procedure in IMC. They can probably give you an idea of what you can expect.

That's exactly what I did and their answer is that it's still a problem. I was told that if an IFR departure was required, there could be lengthy delays as they still must hold all traffic into SLC until a U42 departure reaches 9000 MSL and can be vectored out of the valley.

I hope they have more snow there then we have here in Jackson Hole.. The resort is trying to open this week but it looks like one run of manmade snow is about the best they can do. :rolleyes:

What's the "IC" frequency listed on the communications section? I'm drawing a blank on what that might stand for? It's the same frequency listed for SLC APP/DEP.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/U42

Airport Communications

CTAF/UNICOM: 122.7
WX AWOS-3: 134.425 (801-562-0271)
SALT LAKE CITY APPROACH: 120.2 124.3
SALT LAKE CITY DEPARTURE: 120.2 124.3
CLEARANCE DELIVERY: 127.0
IC: 120.2
WX ASOS at SLC (10 nm N): PHONE 801-328-3567
WX AWOS-3 at TVY (16 nm W): 119.725 (435-882-6648)

TA31 ASR AVBL BTN 0700-2200 ONLY.

Back