Heading to King Spa in Dallas - where to land?

Monpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Monpilot
i'm finally getting the opportunity to lounge in hot tubs and show off the speedo I didn't get to wear all summer by going to dallas for the night this coming Friday. since it's the most travelled weekend of the year I figure, why not fly instead of deal with traffic on 45 in and out of Houston/Dallas.

so your help on which airport to use, and which FBO, is appreciated. VFR in an Archer III, fuel prices unimportant since i'll be using the club plane rented wet

the closest airports to King Spa are:

KADS - Addison. foreflight comments mention this is a pretty busy airport and to read up before heading in and out. million aire is the suggested fbo

KDAL - I wouldn't think they'd want my little plane there but I've landed at KSAT before so this wouldn't be too big a deal. plus it's a mile closer than adison and foreflight comments on the airport actually seem pretty positive...

KDFW - no way no how nope, yes i'm skerred and since the purpose of my trip is to relax, nuhuh

thanks!

They don't want your little plane at ADS either. They fancy themselves above all that GA nonsense. Unfortunately that leaves TKI and DTO, both pretty far north.

That’s definitely not good news since both are significantly farther.

Snobs

Actually, both Million Air and Atlantic, at ADS, are very nice folks.

If KDAL is closer for you, Business Jet is excellent - I've had multiple occasions to use them, and they treat me by well, even in my little Bonanza surrounded by G IVs.

Which one of the two is easier to get into?

We are based at Million Air KADS and they will treat you right and not chase you off. If I were going into KDAL I would try Business Jet Center first and Signature 2nd. Call where ever you go and find out ALL of the cost, fuel price, minimum fuel purchase to avoid facility fee, facility fee, overnight fee, security fee and so on. Make sure your club does not have a maximum price that they will pay for fuel.

Agree with others about Millionair at KADS.

But King Spa? *shudder* Not a choice I would make.

Kads it shall be.

As for king spa, I’m not expecting luxury by any means. So long as it’s not at the opposite end of the spectrum I’ll be easy to please.

I'm glad this question got posted, because this is something I've been curious about - for a fairly fresh PPL sitting at under 100 hours, how complex would the arrival to ADS be for someone with no experience transitioning or going under a Class B? All of my training has been in the San Antonio area with a little of experience going into SAT, and regular usage of Flight Following for just about every flight.

I'm glad this question got posted, because this is something I've been curious about - for a fairly fresh PPL sitting at under 100 hours, how complex would the arrival to ADS be for someone with no experience transitioning or going under a Class B? All of my training has been in the San Antonio area with a little of experience going into SAT, and regular usage of Flight Following for just about every flight.
Usually no big deal. Just do an appropriate amount of prep work including using Google Earth for some familiarization of landmarks. Also study up on any special arrival or departure procedures they use at KADS.

Here are some tips.
  1. As you are getting close to the hand off from either Fort Worth Center or Waco Approach, try to get the KADS ATIS as soon as possible. It helps speed things up (and make you sound like a pro) if you can tell the Regional Approach controller you have the information when you check on with him/her.
  2. Be prepared for a bit of vectoring around the east side. Between KSAT and KADS are KDFW and KDAL, so you're gonna get moved out of their way and lined up for your runway at KADS.
  3. Regional Approach has some really, really good controllers. And as Texas friendly as you can get. But depending on day and time, the sectors can get really busy. Be on your "A-Game" with your comms and you'll do fine.
  4. It's totally okay to tell the Approach Controller and Tower Controller you're not familiar with the area if they start providing local landmarks.
And when you do come up this way, let the Dallas gang know. With enough planning, we can arrange a link up for dinner/drinks.

If I were you I would fly into Dallas Exec. (KRBD) and take an UBER to the Spa 19 miles (approx 25 min drive). Very easy in and out. Very Low Stress!!!!!

KRBD to some place up north does not avoid the traffic. Addison isn’t as bad as people make it out to be, just check on the fees before you go.

Want to reiterate what Mike mentioned, don't be shy about letting approach know you aren't familiar with the local area procedures. They will talk you in. That's what I did when I flew into Vegas North. They just gave me vectors all the way through. Having done my ppl training out of KSLC I've heard more than one controller trying to explain to pilots where they were supposed to be, when it could have been simply avoided by letting them know ahead of time that you don't know the difference between Redwood Road and I-15.

KRBD to some place up north does not avoid the traffic. Addison isn’t as bad as people make it out to be, just check on the fees before you go.
You may want to check your directions. KRBD is Dallas Exec. which is on the south side of Dallas. He is coming from the south so easy in and out.

You may want to check your directions. KRBD is Dallas Exec. which is on the south side of Dallas. He is coming from the south so easy in and out.
For the airplane, yes. But the auto traffic congestion from South to North Dallas is so bad, it will null out the convenience.

Referring to the auto traffic. I know that KRBD is Dallas Exec.

Adison inbound was super easy. Landed after dark around 6pm and wa routed over love field with no problems. I had trouble seeing the airport until I got onto base and the entry lights to the runway were bright and shiny.

Leaving was another matter. Adison was busy and I messed up in requesting following from tower instead of ground but no big deal. Leaving adison the airspace was congested and I flubbed some radio calls. The controller corrected me sternly but I took it as a learning point instead of getting offended.

So, leaving, yes, a game is a good thing for radios but not misión critical.

As far as king spa, meh.

Back