Headed to Westminster MD

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
I'm going to fly down to Westminster for lunch tomorrow. Any suggestions for grub? Anyone want to join me?

Adam Zucker:blueplane:

Adam:

The weather should be excellent! We're heading the other direction, Blairstown. A bunch of the QPA (http://www.quakertownpilots.org/) folks are heading there, then Easton to ferry a Viking to PTW, then back home to UKT, maybe hang the wings on a Cub. We leave ~8AM if you want an alternate.

Gary

Gary thanks for the invite. Time wont permit all those hops but the offer is appreciated. Have a fun and safe flight.

Adam Zucker

OK here is the report on Westminster MD. KDMW

1) Flight in the Tiger from PNE via IFR routing was just about 1hr airtime.
2) Westminster area is Beautiful. Green rolling hills. Just absolutely gorgeous.
3) Ate at Bullock's Airport Inn for lunch. Only a block away.They had a big buffet but since I'm trying to live past age 50 I stayed away from all the scrumptious fried shrimp and other yummie fried items. Instead ( Are you listening Joe ) I got broiled crab cakes. They were light but big and full of back fin lump crab meat. Folks were generally friendly.
4) Mixed reviews on the FBO, Lineman was super friendly, folks inside the FBO were so so.
5) Airport is in great condition
6) They have a new GCO but too many folks were using the CTAF/Unicom to talk about how Suzie's appendectomy went last week. This was not good in the busy pattern. perhaps thats whey they got he GCO.
7) We flew in IFR even though it was CAVU did the VOR 34 approach from EMI. Boy was that VOR a bee hive. Had to keep your eyes open. Getting a release and clearance is a pain just like at KLOM you have to call departure on the phone for both because you can't raise them on the ground via radio. Its close to the ADIZ and P40 so VFR pilots be careful.
All in all it was a beautiful place, just amazing country and I'd go back.

:blueplane:

Adam:

Thanks for the update. Never been there, looks like a worthwhile addition to the Sunday morning breakfast fly-out list. It was most certainly a beautiful day!

Gary

Might fly down here for work in 2 weeks or so, anyone been here recently? Anything I should be aware of?

Bullock's is long gone. Tina's Deli is about the best we can do in walking distance, and that's not much. There are other restaurants in town that are pretty good. O'Lourdan's Pub has a terrific corned beef. No four stars.

The FBO doesn't work on anything over 18 years of age, not so much as change a tire, so if you have a mechanical problem, sing out and I'll hook you up with a good local wrench. 34 is right traffic, 16 is left. GCO works fine, easiest thing to do is get your clearance, then activate in the air if you can. Vor approach is a favorite of the locals for practice, and on Thursday afternoon we have a couple of nordo regulars in a Pitts and/or Citabria, so keep an eye out in the pattern if you come in then.
Otherwise, it's still a nice airport. Quiet most times.
Let me know if you're coming, come on by the hangar and say hello.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Chip....Will probably be flying down with a co-worker to replace some firewalls at a recent acquisition that's a mile down the road. Will probably arrive late afternoon work to the wee hours catch some zzz's at the Best Western and then head back home the next morning. I'll let you know if this actually comes to fruition

TPA is 1600 MSL/800 AGL. And as long as you don't need your old plane worked on, the FBO is very cooperative.

Back