Head Phones

Speedy

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Speedy
Something dawned on me today.

My first flight lesson was April 12, 1974. Man was I young and pretty. My last lesson was June 1, 2012.

I don't remember having or even wearing head phones back then ? Did I ?

How did we put up with the noisenmaken machinen in those days ?

:hairraise:

Maybe you were getting glider instruction?

I was told that no you guys didn't wear headsets but back then the airplanes weren't 180hp and up. So maybe they weren't THAT loud. My husband remembers just covering his ears alot when he rode around in the early 80's.

I learned in '78 and no one wore headsets. Instructor just yelled over the din. I think I got my first pair in early '90s.

I was told that no you guys didn't wear headsets but back then the airplanes weren't 180hp and up. So maybe they weren't THAT loud. My husband remembers just covering his ears alot when he rode around in the early 80's.

I learned in a 195 hp Hawk XP. But even a 100 hp C-150 is pretty loud to instruct in today.

I remember my first set of headphones. They were made by Telex and had zero attenuation. Since I already had lost about half of my hearing by age 26 I was aware that I needed some protection so I had started putting foam ear plugs in my ears and then putting the headphones on. I was on a flight with my boss in his Baron one day and had my ear plugs and headset on. I kept turning the radio volume up so I could hear and he kept giving me the strangest looks. After awhile I pulled one of the ear plugs out and realized that I was killing him with a deafening radio volume so I could hear with those ear plugs.

I got rid of what I had and bought a Telex ProAir 2000 that I still have to this day.

I learned in '78 and no one wore headsets. Instructor just yelled over the din. I think I got my first pair in early '90s.

I soloed April 14, 1984 and I think I bought my first headset and portable intercom in 1988 or 89. Up until then, we got to listen to that fine paper speaker in the ceiling of the 182!:mad2:

Your memory is more problematic than you may think.

Something dawned on me today.

My first flight lesson was April 12, 1974. Man was I young and pretty. My last lesson was June 1, 2012.

I don't remember having or even wearing head phones back then ? Did I ?

How did we put up with the noisenmaken machinen in those days ?

:hairraise:

In 1981 when I got my license you never saw headphones used. Frequently, I'd wear the squishy yellow earplugs and turn up the cockpit speaker. The aircraft I flew had no intercom.

In 1988 or so, I was carrying my own headset and portable intercom. While, you'd see some people flying with them, most of the rental fleet did not have intercoms.

By about 1993 when my wife started flying, all the club planes had intercoms and pretty much everybody used them.

Speedy;1143374How did we put up with the noisenmaken machinen in those days ? [/QUOTE said:
Started in 84. We YELLED A LOT, used the hand mike, said HUH? a lot trying to talk, and said SAY AGAIN for the ATC or Unicom transmissions on the 59 cent speaker in the ceiling.

Plus pantomime and facial expression between you and the CFI.

Started training in 1990. First headset I used in training was 1993 when my then instructor made a casual comment about headsets. I stopped at the pilot shop that day and bought a pair of SIGS with lifetime warrantee. Of course the old Pilot Shop closed 2 years ago.

I instructed in the early 90s in 152s and we never used headsets. Wished we had :(

No intercom, no headsets. Just turn up the volume on the speaker real loud and talk loud.

The hand held microphone hung from a little chrome plated clip on the panel when you weren't using it (or you dropped it on your lap).

My wife says I need a hearing aid. But I think the problem is that she mumbles a lot.

I didn't start flying till 1986 and most pilots were still not flying GA with a headset.
A push to talk button was the order of the day if you wanted to use your headset.
I bought a nice pair of DC H10-30's in 1988 that I still have till this day.

No intercom, no headsets. Just turn up the volume on the speaker real loud and talk loud.

The hand held microphone hung from a little chrome plated clip on the panel when you weren't using it (or you dropped it on your lap).

My wife says I need a hearing aid. But I think the problem is that she mumbles a lot.

Good luck winning that argument, I tried and got my hearing aids in 2011. Best thing about them is that I can turn them off.

Back