Head Injury

U

Unregistered

I fell and got a laceration on my head last week. I went unconscious for about 20 seconds. I went to the ER and got 6 staples and a CT scan. According to the ER doctor, I did not receive a concussion. I am back to normal, besides the stapled wound. Will this affect my next medical much?

Thanks

"Current status with complete neurologic exam by treating physician. If any neurologic dysfunction the Neurologist eval. required."

Any immediate reporting requirements? Or just obtain post #2 and present to AME on next visit?

Depends on the level of certification of the pilot. If the agency can show you have cause to know about 67.311, then you are down until reapproved. If not, 61.53. But he's going to need the eval. soon enough. I'll bet the ER record will do the job. The ER docs are generally getting more compulsive.

I fell and got a laceration on my head last week. I went unconscious for about 20 seconds. I went to the ER and got 6 staples and a CT scan. According to the ER doctor, I did not receive a concussion. I am back to normal, besides the stapled wound. Will this affect my next medical much?

Thanks

By definition if you have a loss of consciousness related to hitting your head you had a concussion. The only question I would ask, though it may or not affect your flying, but may affect your life, is did you slip and fall, or did you pass out and then hit your head. If it is the latter you need to see either a neurologist, or a cardiologist to make sure nothing else is going on. If it is the former, then you probably have nothing to worry about.

I was actually playing football in the backyard. I leaped for a pass and didnt realize I was as close as I was to a concrete bench we have in the back yard. I cam down, slipped on wet grass, and hit my head on the jagged edge of it. I agree that I had symptoms of concussion, but the DR said I didn't. I'm going with him. My discharge paperwork says I was treated for a head laceration. I am only a student pilot w/ 3rd class medical. Any further comments or info. Thanks for the responses,

Reporting issues aside, I would also advise avoiding any solo work for at least 10 days since the injury in case you develop any post-concussion syndrome sx's such as headaches, dizziness, or cognitive issues.

Regardless of whatever some ER physician told you, you passed out from hitting your head, semantics aside, that is the textbook definition of a concussion. You can call it whatever you want, but you should follow up with a physician at some point to make sure everything is fine. Your family physician is probably just as good as anyone to do this. Furthermore, though the chances of bad delayed sequelae of concussions that are mild are exceedingly small, be aware that they can occur. Should you develop any symptoms such as memory loss, nausea, vomitting, visual issues, passing out without reason, weakness, numbness, incontinence, personality changes, language issues... you need to see a neurosurgeon, or neurologist pronto.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back