HDD crash - Hep Me, Hep Me!

flyersfan31

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Freiburgfan31
Situation: cannot load WinXP due to corrupted windows/system32/config/system. Have tried Windows restore, boot disc, everything recommended. Signs point to HDD failure, apparently not uncommon with maxtor drives in Dell XPS'. I've run diagnostics on the c:drive successfully, so I hold out hope that it's just a corrupted boot sector or something.

Can I: 1) install a 2nd HD, 2) boot/install from the WindowsXP cd onto that new HD, 3) run my system from the new HD and see if I can access the files on the old C drive? Assuming it's only a boot sector error and not a catastrophic failure of the drive, this seems like a workable solution, ASSUMING I can do an install of XP onto the new drive.

I don't have access to another computer that I could plug the bum hdd into; that would be the easiest.

I've used that exact idea to recover files in the past. Even had to go to the extreme of replacing the PWB on the hard drive before I could read the files (don't ask how that happened, it was one of my son's life lessons). In any case, as long as the drive isn't totally trashed, that should work.

Oh, and buy a Seagate drive. I've never had a problem with one.

Thanks G. I've heard that about Seagates. Frankly, this is my last Dell -- too many incompatibilities/non-standard stuff in their boxes for me to want to buy again.

Even had to go to the extreme of replacing the PWB on the hard drive before I could read the files (don't ask how that happened, it was one of my son's life lessons).
There's quite an interesting story behind this post. The cat just keeled over. :)

There's quite an interesting story behind this post. The cat just keeled over. :)

Let's just say that you should power down a machine before removing a hard drive, lest you touch energized circuits to the chassis and cause them to permanently cease functioning. :D

Situation: cannot load WinXP due to corrupted windows/system32/config/system. Have tried Windows restore, boot disc, everything recommended. Signs point to HDD failure, apparently not uncommon with maxtor drives in Dell XPS'. I've run diagnostics on the c:drive successfully, so I hold out hope that it's just a corrupted boot sector or something.
I've seen this before. I got it on my dad's computer during an XP Service Pack 2 upgrade. We had to completely reinstall windows in the long run.

Some kind of hardware incompatibility with his machine. SP 2 had no problems with my machines...

sounds like the same issue I had on a home machine with XP Home. SP2 blew it up and I had to reinstall Windows. Installed to a new windows home and all the data on the drive was accessible when the install completed.

Back