HAZMAT training

Dont spill anything and you dont have to worry about it. :D

What exact sort of training?

Like Ed said, what kind? The training for a lab with "only" flammable solvents is different than that for a lab with containing more "energetic" items such as strong oxidizers. This is in turn different than that required for the certification to transport HazMat (Flying Cheesehead undoubtedly knows a lot about that).

It depends on what 'kind' of HazMat training you're looking for. Transportation, storage, handling, manufacturing, ????

The FAA produces a couple videos on the matter if you're looking for aviation references. I just had to watch them again this past week for recurrent - they're boring, but effective.

The kind required for Part 135 groundschool.
You mean the kind you're required to take even when your policy is to not accept HazMat at all? We had one of our pilots told that she needed to get signed off as having received that training even though they weren't going to be flying hazmat.

You mean the kind you're required to take even when your policy is to not accept HazMat at all? We had one of our pilots told that she needed to get signed off as having received that training even though they weren't going to be flying hazmat.
I think the thing is that you need to be able to recognize it so you know what not to carry.

That's what ours is. Our official policy is "We don't carry any type of HazMat, at all, ever."

I think the thing is that you need to be able to recognize it so you know what not to carry.

And that's how they explain why we have THREE HOURS of HazMat on our recurrent syllabus, even though, our policy for that is "If it says HazMat on it, it doesn't fly until it's checked out and relabeled by station personnel. If it's not marked, it's the concern of the station personnel who receives it and puts it on the plane."

We have a slide show that is company produced, but most of our three hours is FAA and DOT made slides, videos, and handouts.

King Schools now has a Part 135/Part 91 Hazmat course.

http://www.kingschoolsonline.com/courseinfo.aspx?sco=&scu=&c=hazmat

If you have questions about that course, or want to buy it, don't order it online; Paul Bell on the POA board works for King and can get you a discount... here is his number and hours:

Paul Bell: 1-800-793-6898
Sun-Thur
2pm-8pm Pacific

We are a "will carry"...and have some training powerpoints, but I took over as chief pilot and think it needs a makeover!! :) Thanks for the info

The FAA produces a couple videos on the matter if you're looking for aviation references. I just had to watch them again this past week for recurrent - they're boring, but effective.

Any idea where to get those?

Any idea where to get those?

The two videos are referenced on the final slide of this FAA presentation on Hazmat: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/ric/local_more/media/seminars/Hazmat.ppt

Troy nailed it. I can shoot an email to our training department, though I suspect you'll have better luck (and more expediant service, complete with updates) through the FAA sites listed in that ppt.

Congrats on the CP gig, by the way!

Troy nailed it. I can shoot an email to our training department, though I suspect you'll have better luck (and more expediant service, complete with updates) through the FAA sites listed in that ppt.

Congrats on the CP gig, by the way!

Thanks

Back